Ghost vs. Clyde 47 - wwyd

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
My shot --- my pocket is at the top right --- due to good defensive play by both of us..it's been many innings since the break, but the ball score is still just 1 to 1, both going to 8 --- wwyd ---->

Attachments

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I shoot the combo and draw the CB straight back to shoot the 12 or the 1 next. It appears none of those balls on the side rail will go in his pocket (unless that combo is dead). Also, the 8 may either take out the 4 or possibly tie it up.

Worse case scenario if I sell out a shot, it's only 1-1 and I don't think my opponent will get more than a few where as I have a chance to get a few right now if I make it.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Give him the green 6, and put the CB under the 4 ball. You will then be able to start removing the dead nine and others from his side. Giving up a ball for table position here makes sense to me.

If I could somehow muddy up the dead combo by coming off the 11 and getting under the 4, that would also be an option, but it looks like the 9 cannot be moved because of it's close proximity to the rail and the angle off the 11 looks to be to flat for ideal placement of the CB under the 4 ball.

There is also a favorable angle coming off the red 3 ball, a well executed soft draw could place the CB under the 4 ball.

Regardless, looks like the best possible place to leave him is froze on the foot rail under the 4 ball.

Last edited:

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I shoot the combo and draw the CB straight back to shoot the 12 or the 1 next. It appears none of those balls on the side rail will go in his pocket (unless that combo is dead). Also, the 8 may either take out the 4 or possibly tie it up.

Worse case scenario if I sell out a shot, it's only 1-1 and I don't think my opponent will get more than a few where as I have a chance to get a few right now if I make it.
I play a variant of this. I think I would shoot the combo real firm and leave the cue ball there (it will stun right, hit the long rail, and come off). A natural center ball hit lets me focus more on making the combo. When the 8 hits the 4, I figure to have a good chance of one or those two balls laying where I have a bank. Failing that, I can expect to be able to clean both or remove one and land underneath the other.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I was looking at that 9 ball too, but unless I am seeing it wrong, it looks like it wont go because the 5-7 appears to be lined up straight into the rail so it would hit the rail first before the 9 which would then make the combo not go.

If it is dead and it does go, then for sure, put him under the 4 (or 2 whatever that ball is down on the end rail). And if i go this route, I like playing off the 13 or 11 and slide down the rail. That way, it also may break up the dead combo if its on.

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
I would shoot the cue ball off the left long rail and the top short rail to hit the 4 ball. Shooting very easy would be a safe shot whether you fouled or not. The shot is a 50/50 chance of a foul and I think that is better than giving him a ball.

Last edited:

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
I would play the CB off the 11 so it hit the diamond by the chalk with a bunch of right so it goes into the 4 and clears it out.---Smitty

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I play a variant of this. I think I would shoot the combo real firm and leave the cue ball there (it will stun right, hit the long rail, and come off). A natural center ball hit lets me focus more on making the combo. When the 8 hits the 4, I figure to have a good chance of one or those two balls laying where I have a bank. Failing that, I can expect to be able to clean both or remove one and land underneath the other.
I like that too Cory. If you don't draw the ball like I suggested you can focus more on making the shot and you will indeed get a bank or clear the balls from his pocket after it...nice variant ~

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
I would shoot the cue ball off the left long rail and the top short rail to hit the 4 ball. Shooting very easy would be a safe shot whether you fouled or not. The shot is a 50/50 chance of a foul and I think that is better than giving him a ball.
Joe,
That was the first thing I looked at, but that angle looks like it might require a masse, so I looked at other ways to get the CB under the 4 ball, which is where I'd like to leave him.

By shooting the 6 in, you open up the 10 ball for your pocket and from the angle on the 6, it looks like all that's required is to shoot the 6 into the pocket with a follow stroke to the long rail an inch or so above his pocket, the CB should fall right under the 4 ball. Looks like it lays perfect for easy execution, and a ball doesn't mean a lot at this stage of the game, especially with the balls positioned as they are. Jmo.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
To me, what I do is depended on how the five, seven, nine is sitting. If it's lined up then I'm playing off the eleven to gently rearrange them while softly spinning the cue ball behind the four ball.

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
Throw the 6 into the 4 stopping QB behind the 10. 4 goes up table by the 11 and the 6 crosses to your side

wincardona

Verified Member
It doesn't look like the 5-7-9ball are laying to pocket the 9ball, the 7ball looks to be frozen to the rail in front of the 9ball. If it's laying like I feel it's laying I have a very powerful shot that I will certainly shoot. I'm playing the 10ball into the side rail and then into the 4ball sending the cue ball two cushions around the 5-8 and 3ball to the top left quadrant, that's my shot

Dr. Bill

LSJohn

Verified Member
It doesn't look like the 5-7-9ball are laying to pocket the 9ball, the 7ball looks to be frozen to the rail in front of the 9ball. If it's laying like I feel it's laying I have a very powerful shot that I will certainly shoot. I'm playing the 10ball into the side rail and then into the 4ball sending the cue ball two cushions around the 5-8 and 3ball to the top left quadrant, that's my shot

Dr. Bill
I must be crazy. I would shoot Cincy's shot 100% of the time, and I think I make it 99. If I don't get a shot on 1 or 12 that I'm comfortable with, I take out the 4 with Hai Karate!

Bill, your shot is strong if the 10 ball doesn't screw you. My accuracy at the angle I now have on the 10 would not be reliable to hit the 4 as I wanted (medium-thin off the first rail) to make sure the 10 cleared.

Is that 8-15 really a lot more missable than I think?

wincardona

Verified Member
I must be crazy. I would shoot Cincy's shot 100% of the time, and I think I make it 99. If I don't get a shot on 1 or 12 that I'm comfortable with, I take out the 4 with Hai Karate!

Bill, your shot is strong if the 10 ball doesn't screw you. My accuracy at the angle I now have on the 10 would not be reliable to hit the 4 as I wanted (medium-thin off the first rail) to make sure the 10 cleared.

John, the only way I would shoot the 8-15ball combo if the angle allowed me to draw the cue ball off the side rail and then down table to the top left quadrant. From there it looks like the 6-10ball combo might be good but if I happen to miss the 8-15 combo at least my cue ball will be in a safe zone.

Back to my shot with the 10ball, i'm not thinking about the 10ball not clearing, very slim chance of that happening. I'm putting emphasis on the cue ball and playing the shot 75% cue ball 25% 10ball into the 4ball.
Bill

beatle

Verified Member
my shot is the combo it looks easy enough to make and i am not giving up much if i do. draw back and you may run up to 6 balls here especially with that other combo looking good.

also if you dont shoot often enough your opponent will know he can leave you longer shots and you wont shoot them. plus naturally he will become more aggressive and you dont want that. you want to play against a passive player.

but as billy said if you can also draw up table some and over you can hit the other combo next if you want to be more conservative.

cincy_kid

Verified Member

I guess that means if Cincy proposes the shot, its crazy? :)

Jk John, but after reading a few more suggestions, I do like some of them maybe even more than the combo...I like what jtom and Mitch want to do a lot if I can control my CB to stay behind the 10. I also like Dr. Bill's shot and focus mostly on the CB. This is a shot I would not have seen right away which is why I am thankful that these WWYD's exist...gives me more perspectives at situations...keep em coming Ghost!

Hardmix

Verified Member
Assuming the 9 is not wired I like banking the 10 and 2 railing the cb to upper left. I prefer this over Bills shot because I can control both balls. If I happen to make it I most likely will have a free shot on the 6 and a take out on the 4.

Hardmix