Ghost vs. Clyde 44 - wwyd

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Clyde's shot --- his pocket is at the top left --- not a ton of choices here I don't believe --- wwyd? ---->

Attachments

Last edited:

wgcp

Verified Member
bank the 15 with bottom right. Try and stick the cue ball on the rail...

B

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
I'll give my choice right from the start this time...

I like banking the 15ball into the right side of the 11ball or 6ball, attempting to carom the 15 into or near my pocket, while killing the cueball near the middle of the head rail - and if I don't make the 15 (possible but not likely), I will have importantly opened up those tied up balls for myself, and they should also give cover to the 15 ball.

- Goast

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
maybe two rail out of his corner into the 14,13,2 and bring the cueball back up.
for a real aggressive break open the balls, rather than ticking around with you playing your game.
soon he will be giving you a ball and you will be working for him.

Hardmix

Verified Member
Carom off the 1 into 11 with CB moving off long rail and back into stack or close to it.

Hardmix

jrhendy

Verified Member
This. You need to get the 15 ball near your hole and use those 3 balls as a shield.
No, you need to bank it AT those balls and loosen them up. Chances are you will get something just as close and now have more balls that will go.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
no, you need to bank it at those balls and loosen them up. Chances are you will get something just as close and now have more balls that will go.
Post #5 in this thread ----->

"I'll give my choice right from the start this time...

I like banking the 15ball into the right side of the 11ball or 6ball, attempting to carom the 15 into or near my pocket, while killing the cueball near the middle of the head rail - and if I don't make the 15 (possible but not likely), I will have importantly opened up those tied up balls for myself, and they should also give cover to the 15 ball."

- Goast

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Post #5 in this thread ----->

"I'll give my choice right from the start this time...

I like banking the 15ball into the right side of the 11ball or 6ball, attempting to carom the 15 into or near my pocket, while killing the cueball near the middle of the head rail - and if I don't make the 15 (possible but not likely), I will have importantly opened up those tied up balls for myself, and they should also give cover to the 15 ball."

- Goast
I think this is the best shot, no question, if you hit it decent and hit the high ball, the 11, good chance the 15 will deflect close to your pocket, or possibly make. At the very least it's a big target area to bank at with the 11 and 6 positioned as they are and you should open them up worst case.

That said, there's another shot available here, it's just not as good IMO as the 15 ball bank, but it's a good shot to consider under slightly different circumstances. Looks like the 13/2/14 lay pretty close to perfect for a two rail kick outta his corner. I would use 11:00 o'clock hitting the side rail about 3"s above his pocket swinging the CB two rails into the right side of the 13 ball. The 13 should carom off the 9 towards Clyde's pocket, the 2 should not have much movement and the 14 should move up table along with the CB. Only danger would be the possible sell out on the 14, but if the 15 wasn't available, I'd probably risk it.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
Clyde's shot --- his pocket is at the top left --- not a ton of choices here I don't believe --- wwyd? ---->
If you can bank the 15ball into the 11ball and position the cue ball near the top rail center diamond that would be my choice, that shot opens up the three ball cluster and could possibly send a ball close to the pocket creating big problems for your opponent. This option is a very safe option that gets a lot done and one that shouldn't be undervalued.

My second choice would be to kick two cushions out of the corner like beatle suggested, I would use 11:00 o'clock english like Jeff suggested to lengthen the cue ball out coming off the bottom rail.

One Pocket Ghost
I'll give my choice right from the start this time...

I like banking the 15ball into the right side of the 11ball or 6ball, attempting to carom the 15 into or near my pocket, while killing the cueball near the middle of the head rail - and if I don't make the 15 (possible but not likely), I will have importantly opened up those tied up balls for myself, and they should also give cover to the 15 ball.

- Goast
Sorry Ghost, didn't see your post, anyways good choice.:D

No, you need to bank it AT those balls and loosen them up. Chances are you will get something just as close and now have more balls that will go.

I guess this must be the best choice with the super senior champion on board.:D
Dr. Bill

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
I'm not convinced playing the fifteen toward the eleven is the best choice here. I do agree it can pay great dividends if hit like planned. However, I don't think you can keep the cue ball close to the head rail and at the same time close to the center diamond while getting enough speed on the shot for it to be very effective. Maybe you can, but here in south Florida the tables usually run much slower due to the humidity.

I'm glad that both Ghost and Bill suggested not leaving the cue ball along the side rail. This could be disastrous if the shot is hit too full into the eleven because of the potential cross corner bank that might be left.

Another issue to address is; what are the advantages to shooting the fifteen for the hole? I can't tell from the photo, but it looks like there is a possibility that the thirteen ball goes. If you are fortunate enough to make the fifteen, which btw, is not that hard a shot, and cut the thirteen in, you will now have the three and seven balls to continue the run.

Anyway, playing the fifteen into the eleven is okay but not if the cue ball must be left on the far side rail.

Tom

I had to rewrite part of my post because I had not realized Ghost and Bill had made the point of leaving the cue ball near the center diamond and I was showing criticism toward lagging the cue ball to the side rail. Sorry guys.

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
I like lagging the 11 down by my hole and hiding him in the stack or on the other side depending on the angle. Playing all cue ball.. as not to break out the ten of course . I like that shot because the out come is very controllable.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Carom off the 1 into 11 with CB moving off long rail and back into stack or close to it.

Hardmix
Hey,

I just saw this post, nice shot and it looks very doable, good eye another good option IMO.

Just getting behind the stack would be ok, if you shoot hard enough to bounce off the long rail back into the stack you might lose the value of getting the 1/11 balls in a good spot by your pocket. Maybe, maybe not, have to be at the table to make a better judgement, but either way I think the shot has merit.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
maybe two rail out of his corner into the 14,13,2 and bring the cueball back up.
for a real aggressive break open the balls, rather than ticking around with you playing your game.
soon he will be giving you a ball and you will be working for him.
Sorry beatle, just now reading previous posts. Nice shot.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I felt the same way on this Tom, the speed seems a bit off to both control whitey and make any kind of carom that ends up being worthwhile and doesn't just put 1 more ball into that group.

I'm not convinced playing the fifteen toward the eleven is the best choice here. I do agree it can pay great dividends if hit like planned. However, I don't think you can keep the cue ball close to the head rail and at the same time close to the center diamond while getting enough speed on the shot for it to be very effective. Maybe you can, but here in south Florida the tables usually run much slower due to the humidity.

I'm glad that both Ghost and Bill suggested not leaving the cue ball along the side rail. This could be disastrous if the shot is hit too full into the eleven because of the potential cross corner bank that might be left.

Another issue to address is; what are the advantages to shooting the fifteen for the hole? I can't tell from the photo, but it looks like there is a possibility that the thirteen ball goes. If you are fortunate enough to make the fifteen, which btw, is not that hard a shot, and cut the thirteen in, you will now have the three and seven balls to continue the run.

Anyway, playing the fifteen into the eleven is okay but not if the cue ball must be left on the far side rail.

Tom

I had to rewrite part of my post because I had not realized Ghost and Bill had made the point of leaving the cue ball near the center diamond and I was showing criticism toward lagging the cue ball to the side rail. Sorry guys.

jtompilot

Verified Member
I like lagging the 11 down by my hole and hiding him in the stack or on the other side depending on the angle. Playing all cue ball.. as not to break out the ten of course . I like that shot because the out come is very controllable.
I was just about to post that shot when I saw you beat me to it.

It's not that tough to get the 11 close to the hole and hide just behind the 10 and stack. You have opened the tied up balls, hidden the QB. If the QB goes too far and the QB can be played off the 7, the 10 or 15 can be banked to your hole.

Banking the 15 into the 11 is ok but the QB will be open for who knows what your opponent may come with.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
Tom

Tom

I was thinking that one big advantage of playing it into the 11 rather than toward the pocket was ability to shut the CB down sooner.