Ghost vs. Clyde 41 wwyd

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Only issue here doc is that if the 7 doesn't go, or end up on the bottom rail, I am free to shoot the 6 off the 14 from almost anywhere uptable; which, being behind... I would love.
Good point, Mitch. Although if you missed the shot you'd lose the game. And if you made it you might not have any follow-up.

Another possibility from Clyde's position here is to roll the 4 ball up on to the 13 and 6. Might even freeze whitey on the 7 ball. That would cluster up some of the makable balls, and cause the layout to be much harder for Ghost.

~Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member

But there again, since Ghost is continuing on with this WWYD, he almost certainly wins it.:D

~Doc
Brother Art....as I already (tongue firmly planted in cheek :)) posted...you and LessSkilledJohn do the Ghost a disservice re. his intentions...

I posted up this sequence for two reasons: #1. Because it was a very interesting situation/sequence of innings...and #2. Because I wanted to give Clyde documented props for his excellent shooting here...I would sure-as-hell have posted it up regardless of who, ultimately, won the game...:rolleyes:...and while I'm on the subject...as for Larry asking me with a :D do I ever play sessions to challenge myself? - uh, excuse me - you're dissing Clyde - Clyde challenges me plenty - as in - on this particular day for example, last Thursday, he came out 2 games winner...:cool:

All that said...

Luckily for me that damn Clyde ran out of balls to shoot at - because next, he drilled in the straight-back on the 8ball, and got on the hill...:eek:...:mad:...but still, I'm not sure that Clyde's the favorite at this point...:eek:...

But now, finally, he's going to have to do something with that party going on over by my pocket...:heh.....or wait...maybe now's the time that he should take that intentional, spot up a ball, still have 6balls, and leave me down there on the head rail, to see what I do...or maybe for a 2-way shot, he will smack that 7ball off of the 6 into his pocket and run all the way out, while having 'rearranged the furniture' in case he doesn't make the 7...:eek:...

What did Clyde do? - wwyd?.....here's where he sits now ----->

Attachments

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Luckily for me that damn Clyde ran out of balls to shoot at - because next, he drilled in the straight-back on the 8ball, and got on the hill...:eek:...:mad:...but still, I'm not sure that Clyde's the favorite at this point...
Very impressive. I looked at the one-rail bank on the 8, but it looked as though hitting it with enough speed for the 8 to pocket would not allow leaving the CB on your side of the table. Did he go twice across, or was the angle not that shallow?

~Doc

wgcp

Verified Member
Soft kick two rails under the 14 and see what you do...that is my first thought, albeit might be a little passive for clyde...

B

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
I see little sense in attempting any finesse shots here. Clyde has seven and needs one. By banking and pocketing the eight, Clyde has both helped his cause and hurt it. This brings back the old comment. "I don't know where they're going, but they're not staying there."

Now is the time, in my opinion, to throw caution to the wind and try to do at least one thing. Get lucky. There are several ways to do this. He could fire away, directly into the four and drive the balls into one another. Something may scrape into his pocket winning the game outright. He could, on the same shot sell out a good shot to Ghost but also get at least one or two balls out of play, or he may also hit still one more lottery ticket and come out clean with a safety.

Fire straight into the four and drive with a force follow. Try to get the cue ball close to the foot rail thereby reducing the odds of selling out an open shot. A lot of good things can happen with a shot like this, and due to Clyde's position, not much more can go wrong.

I sure don't like trying to nurse this position hoping to find a way behind that fourteen and I'm surely NOT taking any intentional fouls or risking a scratch. You can forget that!

Tom

androd

Verified Member
I see little sense in attempting any finesse shots here. Clyde has seven and needs one. By banking and pocketing the eight, Clyde has both helped his cause and hurt it. This brings back the old comment. "I don't know where they're going, but they're not staying there."

Now is the time, in my opinion, to throw caution to the wind and try to do at least one thing. Get lucky. There are several ways to do this. He could fire away, directly into the four and drive the balls into one another. Something may scrape into his pocket winning the game outright. He could, on the same shot sell out a good shot to Ghost but also get at least one or two balls out of play, or he may also hit still one more lottery ticket and come out clean with a safety.

Fire straight into the four and drive with a force follow. Try to get the cue ball close to the foot rail thereby reducing the odds of selling out an open shot. A lot of good things can happen with a shot like this, and due to Clyde's position, not much more can go wrong.

I sure don't like trying to nurse this position hoping to find a way behind that fourteen and I'm surely NOT taking any intentional fouls or risking a scratch. You can forget that!

Tom
Yep, Make it look like a jailbreak.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
7 into the 6 ( left side) which will move the 1 and the 14, all could leave the area, might get a kiss in on your pocket when they start moving over. Use center ball force follow and try to bounce the CB off the long rail in front of the 13 and go forward to avoid giving up a shot on the 13. The inner action of all the balls working outta there might be a problem, but it's time to sweep the kitchen.

Cloidius

Verified Member
Three rails...

Three rails...

Did he go twice across, or was the angle not that shallow?

~Doc

I was able to hit this bank with low left to ensure that the cue ball went long-short-long, nice easy speed, and whitey never left the top eight of the table.

I sure did put myself in the toughest spot yet with that bank. I was obviously feeling good about shooting, and failed to consider all the possibilities. I think kicking under the 14 off the foot rail might have been the shot over the 8 bank.

I didn't like the jail break options, as those balls lay in such a straight line, especially down the rail, I felt like they would sell out.

I found a different way to sell out.

I felt that I was the favorite all the way.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Ghost vs. Clyde 41 wwyd

I was able to hit this bank with low left to ensure that the cue ball went long-short-long, nice easy speed, and whitey never left the top eight of the table.

I sure did put myself in the toughest spot yet with that bank. I was obviously feeling good about shooting, and failed to consider all the possibilities. I think kicking under the 14 off the foot rail might have been the shot over the 8 bank.

I didn't like the jail break options, as those balls lay in such a straight line, especially down the rail, I felt like they would sell out.

I felt that I was the favorite all the way.

Nice shooting so far, partner. Exactly why I'll be ducking you at the Derby 😜.

From here I think I would try to kick the 14 two rails off the bottom rail softly. Lots of ways to sell out lol.

Last edited:

wgcp

Verified Member
3 rails

3 rails

you three railed into the corner pocket didn't you...

B

gulfportdoc

Verified Member

Well, I think you made a helluva bank on the 8. And if you'd missed (which frankly would be the outcome most times), you'd have left nothing.

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
i have had a bad cold for a week and my head is in a fog.....:(:mad:
i slept the bank on the 10 ..never realized he shot it.........:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I love to catch screw-ups... I make so many myself. :eek:

I figured you didn't see the post where he shot the 10 and made it.

I wouldn't intentionally do anything I thought would actually embarrass you; you've helped me plenty with my game.

LSJohn

Verified Member
Soft kick two rails under the 14 and see what you do...that is my first thought, albeit might be a little passive for clyde...

B
Yeah Col., that was my shot in the beginning and I'd still shoot it now.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member

Well, Clyde thought about shooting warp speed at all those balls, but instead he elected to finesse them = he thinned the 7 and went three rails with the cueball to leave me back by the head rail at the top left corner...but he didn't hit it good enough and mistakenly let me see the 14ball...I made the 14 and ran 5 balls but had a bad angle on the 5th ball, and couldn't shape up for the last ball to get out...leaving myself like so on the last ball----->

Attachments

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
To conclude this...

So Clyde and I ended up playing 'one ball one pocket' for several innings until Clyde made a tough angle 2-railer to eventually win the game...:mad:

- Ghost

cincy_kid

Verified Member
nice one ghost and sorry for being late to the party but I jut finished reading the entire thread and to throw my 2 cents in..

I liked Tom's suggestion of firing into those balls hoping to get lucky by either making one in his hole, getting safe or worst case leaving ghost a shot but taking a couple out of play.

However, if i were to take an intentional foul, I think I would have just rolled the ball a couple of inches towards the top left pocket leaving him on the rail. That way, I don't have to hope when I kick down at the 14 that I don't sell out an easy first shot at the run. Instead, it makes Ghost shoot at his hole and he has no easy shot (3 ball combo maybe?) and if he does shoot at it, there's a good chance that either I get a bank at my pocket or at least an easier escape than being up at the other end of the table trying to find a good safe shot.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Bille, Mitch, c-kid - thanks bro's....yeah, I thought it was a real interesting sequence, and some real sporty shooting by my student/enemy combatant...:)

- The One Holey Ghost