Ghost vs. Clyde 30 wwyd

Kybanks

Verified Member
This is an interesting shot, Kybanks. You certainly have to play it all cue ball, because if you happen to let whitey leak out at all you are giving your opponent a good shot. I didn't notice this shot until you posted it as a suggestion so thank you for that.

My first thought, and what I probably would have shot, was the 11-3 combo. I believe I would have had to be at the table to see whether rail first or straight into it, because I would have been ducking at the same time.

Unless.... looking at the table in person either the bank on the 7 or 8 looked free and the ball passed. If either of them did, then one of those shots would have been appealing. That's the kind of thing I find it hard to tell from the WWYD images.

Edit -- looking at the views again, the bank on the 8 starts to look pretty nice, especially if no special english is needed to avoid the kiss, and if the angle is there to roll it into the pocket without running the cue ball back up past the 7 ball.
I'm rolling the cb 6" to the 11, all the other shots is requiring the cb to travel 3' to 4' to get safe. It's the easiest option for me to execute and maintaining a good position for me.

darmoose

Verified Member
Cory and Mitch

Cory and Mitch

I like this shot as well. Great video and speed Cory. When are you heading up here so we can play?
Hey, I'm located in between you two guys, in Baltimore, and you're both invited to visit Charm City to play some one pocket.

I've made the trek to Philly to thump Mitch:p:lol:lol (actually we had a very tight match), so he owes me a trip. But, Cory, I think we could be a good match also.:heh

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Ghost vs. Clyde 30 wwyd

Hey, I'm located in between you two guys, in Baltimore, and you're both invited to visit Charm City to play some one pocket.

I've made the trek to Philly to thump Mitch:p:lol:lol (actually we had a very tight match), so he owes me a trip. But, Cory, I think we could be a good match also.:heh

Hey- get your own game lol. I agree it was fun!

Careful Cory. I didn't notice he snuck his own cue ball in until the 4th hour of play lol. 😂. (Not that it made a difference I'm sure)

Cory in dc

Verified Member

Hey- get your own game lol. I agree it was fun!

Careful Cory. I didn't notice he snuck his own cue ball in until the 4th hour of play lol. 😂. (Not that it made a difference I'm sure)
I would enjoy both. The question is whether I should go to Bmore on the way there or the way back? I wouldn't want to arrive broke in Philly if I stop in Bmore on the way in, but I wouldn't want to be broke when I get to Bmore on the way back from Philly, either.

The old timers get their own tournament. Maybe we need a hacks, lobsters, and eggs tournament? Sounds like we might have three players.

wincardona

Verified Member
I'm rolling the 11 into the three ball dropping the cue ball to the rail in back of the 4ball, it's time to gamble I like my odds, needless to say the strength's of the shot we all know what they are.

Dr. Bill

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Ghost vs. Clyde 30 wwyd

I would enjoy both. The question is whether I should go to Bmore on the way there or the way back? I wouldn't want to arrive broke in Philly if I stop in Bmore on the way in, but I wouldn't want to be broke when I get to Bmore on the way back from Philly, either.

The old timers get their own tournament. Maybe we need a hacks, lobsters, and eggs tournament? Sounds like we might have three players.

I called dibs on you lol.

Heck- this way you will have more to play with when you get to Bmore :).

I'm game.

darmoose

Verified Member

Cory,

If you're planning to go broke, I insist you hit Baltimore first. Anyway, Mitch is such a nice guy he'll be glad to let you play on credit, I'm sure.:eek::D

We could even all get together and do a "maionase a twat" (three way):sorry.

Have either of you played captains one pocket?

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Cory,

If you're planning to go broke, I insist you hit Baltimore first. Anyway, Mitch is such a nice guy he'll be glad to let you play on credit, I'm sure.:eek::D

We could even all get together and do a "maionase a twat" (three way):sorry.

Have either of you played captains one pocket?
There's a small chance that I could double-up if I go to Philly first!

Captain is a lot of fun.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
I'm rolling the 11 into the three ball dropping the cue ball to the rail in back of the 4ball, it's time to gamble I like my odds, needless to say the strength's of the shot we all know what they are.

Dr. Bill
I'm on board with this shot, Bill

This is as good a time to shoot at your hole as I could ask for.

Tom

darmoose

Verified Member
I won't say that champions, or even past champions can't pull off the eleven to the three and park the CB behind or against the four ball on the bottom rail, but I think it's a difficult shot. One is not likely to make a ball, and as far as the CB goes, both direction and speed are critical.

Assuming you don't make a ball, if you don't protect the balls by your pocket by getting behind the four, your opponent will move them or in the worst case may have a bank, and in either case you have lost your position.

I think banking the eight, especially if you can do it with left English and avoid a kiss, which allows the CB to ride up under the seven is a much easier shot which protects your position very well.

Bobbytworails

Verified Member
Can't tell the angle but I LIKE TOM AND BILLY'S CHOICE BETTER GREAT REWARD VERY LITTLE RISK!

wincardona

Verified Member
Well I feel much better today then I felt yesterday, I wasn't hitting them very well then but today's another day and i've been waiting for a shot like this one and whadda ya know, here it is.:D If I were the non shooter I would be thrilled to see my opponent play any other option except the 11 into the 3ball. I set this shot up on my table and shot it five times, not once did I feel that my opponent would of liked the result. I pocketed the 3ball only once, hung it once, and trapped my opponent behind the 4ball three times. There's no retracting my shot here. ;)

Dr. Bill

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Well I feel much better today then I felt yesterday, I wasn't hitting them very well then but today's another day and i've been waiting for a shot like this one and whadda ya know, here it is.:D If I were the non shooter I would be thrilled to see my opponent play any other option except the 11 into the 3ball. I set this shot up on my table and shot it five times, not once did I feel that my opponent would of liked the result. I pocketed the 3ball only once, hung it once, and trapped my opponent behind the 4ball three times. There's no retracting my shot here. ;)

Dr. Bill
Bill, how did you play the combo? Straight on, or did you play the eleven rail first into the three? The three looks a little far from the side rail for the rail first shot but it might have been a good compromise for obtaining precise cue ball position. Maybe in this case it didn't mater and you were able to get there either way.
Tom

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Bill, how did you play the combo? Straight on, or did you play the eleven rail first into the three? The three looks a little far from the side rail for the rail first shot but it might have been a good compromise for obtaining precise cue ball position. Maybe in this case it didn't mater and you were able to get there either way.
Tom
Tom, Bill,

I guess the 11/3 combo is probably the best shot here because you, Bill, me and several others like it as a strong option, and since Bill took it to the table and gave it a good test with all positive results, there is little doubt.

However, if you don't mind, I would like you guys to critique the 6 ball shot, moving the 12 to the foot rail and sticking the CB on the 5/15. Just wondering if you think it doable if the 11/3 were not available, to me it looks like a suffocating safety while putting a ball on either side of my pocket.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

lll

Verified Member
Tom, Bill,

I guess the 11/3 combo is probably the best shot here because you, Bill, me and several others like it as a strong option, and since Bill took it to the table and gave it a good test with all positive results, there is little doubt.

However, if you don't mind, I would like you guys to critique the 6 ball shot, moving the 12 to the foot rail and sticking the CB on the 5/15. Just wondering if you think it doable if the 11/3 were not available, to me it looks like a suffocating safety while putting a ball on either side of my pocket.

Thanks in advance

Jeff
js1.jpg
jeff i like the idea of your shot and im curious to read the opinion of the others
to my eyes which are old and blind to stick the cue ball on the 5/15 you have to cut the 6 a smidgeon to the left which from my perspective doesnt let the 6 give the the 5 enough oomph to move the 12 much
and if you hit it straight on the cue ball isnt stuck on the 5 /15
also do you think the 6 might clip the 4 ??
jmho
icbw
i would still like to hear the opinion of the others as to the strength of your shot if you can do as described

androd

Verified Member
Tom, Bill,

I believe it was Cory that 1st picked the 11/3 shot and took it to the table

Thanks in advance

Jeff
It doesn't seem you can hit the 6ball, would be a nice safety if you could.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff sparks View Post
Tom, Bill,

I believe it was Cory that 1st picked the 11/3 shot and took it to the table

Thanks in advance

Jeff
It doesn't seem you can hit the 6ball, would be a nice safety if you could.
Yep, that was me. It's not hard to get good results if you just focus on the cueball:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NMtMzZWpsJM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Event a bad result isn't a sell out. You just give the opponent the opportunity to clear the balls you just put by your hole.

The first clip here shows the bad outcome.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Jeff, even if the shot you envision on the six was possible, I feel it is inferior to the 11-3 combo. The positive expectation of making the three outweighs any available move from here. With natural position on the four, and so many balls in scoring position, you have to look at it like you would a nine ball situation. There are times to shoot and times to duck. And then, there are time when you can do both simultaneously. This is one of those. Sometimes opportunity knocks but once. Now if you were able to play a killer move which was guaranteed to net positive results and lock your opponent up tightly, I would be more inclined to consider it but even then, shooting the combo would not be wrong.

BTW. I think Larry is pretty much on target with his analysis of that six ball shot. Rod might be right though and maybe enough of the six can't be seen to shoot the stop shot. ??????

Tom

PS. Nice shot Cory and thanks for the video.

Last edited:

tucson9ball

Verified Member
I haven't logged in for a while but I'll throw my .02 in the ring.
My first instinct would be the bank on the 8, it looks like it may hit the 4 and go toward the pocket. Be sure to play whitey on this to leave opponent froze or close to side rail.
Another flyer I'm looking at is the 10 ball. If struck medium/hard almost a full hit(a hair to right) the cue ball would bump the 6-5-12 and break up that mess toward the hole. The cue ball would follow through to the end rail and back up about 2 diamonds to put opponent on the rail. More risk but opens up the cluster a bit. Did I say risky? If you don't practice caroms then don't attempt this one...