Ghost vs. Clyde 30 wwyd

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
I think I'll put up another wwyd where it's my turn to shoot - cuz I want to show another bad choice of mine...:lol

My shot --- my pocket is at top right (where the 3ball is) --- 1-0 Ghost ahead --- lotta good choices here --- wwyd?

PS, And I'm liking this situation a whole lot better than the last one - shooting after Clyde's break...:heh

Attachments

Last edited:

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I'll admit, this one makes my head hurt. Two many choices that are kinda good but not obviously great and could leave good returns that lose my current advantage.

1. Bank the 8 at the 4 and stun forward. Hope to protect the 4 near my pocket and have the 9-3 available in case I make something.

2. Cut the 11 towards the 3, *rail first* and the CB's natural path should go to the other long rail and then towards the 4. Aim to snuggle up near or on the 4. As long as the cue ball control is good, this seems to have a decent payoff whether I make it or miss.

I lean towards option 2, especially if the 9-1-12 is dead (it looks not to be dead, though).

The 13-3 offers too much risk relative to reward for my level of confidence with combos with this much distance.

wgcp

Verified Member
I am banking the seven with follow on the cue...

B

vapros

Verified Member
You can't afford to shoot the 13-3, but you can shoot the 11-3 any way you like. Shoot it pocket speed, and shield your pocket area with the stack. Looks sweet from here. If you don't like it, you can bank the 8, but don't leave a bank on the 3.

straightback

Verified Member
I would look at the 11-3, going rail first if necessary, and then 2-railing the CB at that huge landing zone on his bottom side of the stack. If that shot is not on, bank the 8 and try to lodge the CB on the side rag by the 7. Another shot is the 13-3 rail first, trying to glue Clyde to the back of the 11.

Ghost - did you just make a ball to get to this position, or did Clyde leave you here while unsuccessfully trying to promote a ball?

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I would look at the 11-3, going rail first if necessary, and then 2-railing the CB at that huge landing zone on his bottom side of the stack. If that shot is not on, bank the 8 and try to lodge the CB on the side rag by the 7. Another shot is the 13-3 rail first, trying to glue Clyde to the back of the 11.

Ghost - did you just make a ball to get to this position, or did Clyde leave you here while unsuccessfully trying to promote a ball?
That 2-rail is pretty nasty, I like it! Tom Wirth always reminds us to look for the "glove."

UPDATE: It doesn't lay quite right, or I set it up wrong. You have to hit it too thin and with a fair bit of left. You can get into the "glove", which is good. But you don't really advance your position. I'm sticking with my first shot.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lr7OXo34_wc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NMtMzZWpsJM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FJnrPLnI6rg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Kybanks

Verified Member
I believe the right shot for me is to shoot the 13 into the rail and freeze the cb to the 11.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Lots of possibilities here for sure, at the table, if I thought I could move the 12 to the foot rail, shooting the 6 ball and freeze the CB with dead stop to the 5/15 there by blocking access to the 3 & the 12 ball, then that's what I would try.

If that didn't look good, then I would either shoot the 13/3 combo to miss it and roll up on the 11, or shoot the 11/3 combo, also to miss it, and try to fall behind the 4 ball on the foot rail. All 3 shots would require being at the table and getting a better feel for which shot I would ultimately choose.

NH Steve

Administrator
I believe the right shot for me is to shoot the 13 into the rail and freeze the cb to the 11.
This is an interesting shot, Kybanks. You certainly have to play it all cue ball, because if you happen to let whitey leak out at all you are giving your opponent a good shot. I didn't notice this shot until you posted it as a suggestion so thank you for that.

My first thought, and what I probably would have shot, was the 11-3 combo. I believe I would have had to be at the table to see whether rail first or straight into it, because I would have been ducking at the same time.

Unless.... looking at the table in person either the bank on the 7 or 8 looked free and the ball passed. If either of them did, then one of those shots would have been appealing. That's the kind of thing I find it hard to tell from the WWYD images.

Edit -- looking at the views again, the bank on the 8 starts to look pretty nice, especially if no special english is needed to avoid the kiss, and if the angle is there to roll it into the pocket without running the cue ball back up past the 7 ball.

Last edited:

straightback

Verified Member
That 2-rail is pretty nasty, I like it! Tom Wirth always reminds us to look for the "glove."

UPDATE: It doesn't lay quite right, or I set it up wrong. You have to hit it too thin and with a fair bit of left. You can get into the "glove", which is good. But you don't really advance your position. I'm sticking with my first shot.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lr7OXo34_wc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NMtMzZWpsJM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FJnrPLnI6rg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Nice videos, Cory! That "glove" shot - if I went for it, I'd play all CB and take what I got from there. Nice speed getting the CB glued to the 4 on the other shots!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I'd bank the 8 cross-corner to make it, using pocket speed. I don't believe there's a kiss. The CB rolls up to have the stack protect the pocket, and there's a follow-up shot if made. Now the opponent only has one ball on his side of the table.

The 11-3 is a good shot, but really only if it's made. The CB ends up in an easy reply situation for the opponent.

~Doc

keoneyo

Verified Member
I too used to shoot this kind of shot with a shot to the hole combined with a safe. These situations come up often. These days, modern players will shoot the natural combination without fear with the potential to run out.
Combination shots like this should be practiced. People don't practice these often enough and that is why they feel uncomfortable shooting them. But I promise if you practice them everyday you will see that they become an optional weapon. PS Wayne practices these and makes it on me all the time.

Im shooting the 13 to make the 3 with a light draw to come back where the CB started to shoot the 11 next and get all the balls open to my side. It might be folly on my part but its the shot for me to beat a tough opponent.

LSJohn

Verified Member

The 11-3 is a good shot, but really only if it's made. The CB ends up in an easy reply situation for the opponent.

~Doc
I think hitting the 11 thick will allow CB just inside the 8 so the stack will block. (Haven't been to the table to check it yet.)

androd

Verified Member
1. Bank the 8 at the 4 and stun forward. Hope to protect the 4 near my pocket and have the 9-3 available in case I make something.
This was my first thought because it lays perfect to hit the 4ball. Looking again the CB position makes this tougher.

P.S. after seeing your video I like that shot a lot. Good Eye.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Ghost vs. Clyde 30 wwyd

I like this shot as well. Great video and speed Cory. When are you heading up here so we can play?

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I like this shot as well. Great video and speed Cory. When are you heading up here so we can play?
Philly is so close to DC that I really should do that someday. Work is killing me these days, though...that's why I'm on OP.org more lately, it's helping, slightly, with my itch for real pool.