Ghost vs. Clyde 17 wwyd

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
My shot --- my pocket is on the top left, where the 5ball is, in this first pic --- score is 2-1, Ghost ahead --- wwyd ----->

Attachments

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
There were two shots here that I liked equally, and was trying to decide between...the one that I didn't pick, was to draw off of the inside of the 1ball with low right english, the cueball then caroming into the 15ball, removing both of Clyde's best balls, the cueball then caroming off of the 15, into the long rail, and then down to the foot rail behind the 9ball.

The second view ----->

Attachments

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I like banking the 15 straight back into the 14 3 and freeze him on the 1 ball. The only other shot I semi like is 11 off the rail into the 5 ball with left english and bring cue ball back across table but thats too risky. If the 15 hits the 14 or 3 and you freeze him on the 1 you will have him in DEEP trouble.

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
I like banking the 15 straight back into the 14 3 and freeze him on the 1 ball. The only other shot I semi like is 11 off the rail into the 5 ball with left english and bring cue ball back across table but thats too risky. If the 15 hits the 14 or 3 and you freeze him on the 1 you will have him in DEEP trouble.
I like this shot but I see no reason for the left hand English. Just straight follow and make certain the cue ball gets back across table. The left hand English forces the shot to be struck harder to maintain the speed on the cue ball after hitting the side rail. As long as the angle doesn't take the cue ball toward the side pocket it will be fine.

The other shot you have there isn't bad either but this first one can win the game outright and it isn't that hard a shot to pull off. But then I like these kinds of shots anyway.

Tom

wincardona

Verified Member
Looks like you got this one right banking the 15ball into the 14-3ball and sticking on the 1ball is imo clearly the strongest shot here. Sticking on the 1ball is in itself a strong move, then you're free rolling to develop an even stronger position with a little luck.

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I like this shot but I see no reason for the left hand English. Just straight follow and make certain the cue ball gets back across table. The left hand English forces the shot to be struck harder to maintain the speed on the cue ball after hitting the side rail. As long as the angle doesn't take the cue ball toward the side pocket it will be fine.

The other shot you have there isn't bad either but this first one can win the game outright and it isn't that hard a shot to pull off. But then I like these kinds of shots anyway.

Tom
It looks like the cue ball will go right toward the side pocket or a little above it with straight follow Tom, thats why I said the left english. I wouldn't want to give him a hail mary cut shot on the 15 ball..... However I would definitely bank the 15 ball into the 14 3 and freeze him in this spot.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
It looks like the cue ball will go right toward the side pocket or a little above it with straight follow Tom, thats why I said the left english. I wouldn't want to give him a hail mary cut shot on the 15 ball..... However I would definitely bank the 15 ball into the 14 3 and freeze him in this spot.
Yes, the hail Mary shot is a possibility but that inside english complicates the shot enough that I might choose not to play it at all. If I decide to play it, I'll play it with no english or, if I feel the cue ball is headed for the side pocket I think a touch of right will clear the side and I can control the combo a bit better. But that's just me.

Your other shot is certainly a safer play and pretty easy to execute. I have no problem with that choice. It is that old adage, "take what the table gives you."

Tom

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Yes, the hail Mary shot is a possibility but that inside english complicates the shot enough that I might choose not to play it at all. If I decide to play it, I'll play it with no english or, if I feel the cue ball is headed for the side pocket I think a touch of right will clear the side and I can control the combo a bit better. But that's just me.

Tom
Well this WWYD hasn't been any fun yet:D:p

wincardona

Verified Member

Tom
Playing the 5ball into the 11ball is gambling from a position where you have total control and the best position. Yes it's a shot that can win you the game but it's certainly not an easy shot to pocket. This shot if missed can put your opponent in a good position with balls positioned nicely by his pocket. I like the other shot much better because of that reason, and also because of the position you will have once the shot is executed.:sorry

If I were to play the 11ball shot I would play the cue ball different than both you and Rob, I would put right hand spin and play the cue ball two cushions behind the 6ball.

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Playing the 5ball into the 11ball is gambling from a position where you have total control and the best position. Yes it's a shot that can win you the game but it's certainly not an easy shot to pocket. This shot if missed can put your opponent in a good position with balls positioned nicely by his pocket. I like the other shot much better because of that reason, and also because of the position you will have once the shot is executed.:sorry

If I were to play the 11ball shot I would play the cue ball different than both you and Rob, I would put right hand spin and play the cue ball two cushions behind the 6ball.

Dr. Bill
You might leave him straight in on the 6 ball or even scratch playing it that way... ANYWAY at least we agree banking the 15 ball and freezing is the best shot.. That makes 2 in a row Billy, 1 more and they call that a winning streak!!

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
I looked at this shot, at the time...sorry guys, but the 11ball if banked into the foot rail, could not hit the 5ball next - the 14ball blocked the angle...however, what is available, is the 11ball can be banked into the foot rail and then into the 3ball, and then caroming into the 5ball.

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Damn, I think I aught to pick something else just to build some controversy.

After that last one, I feel unsatisfied.:(

Tom

wincardona

Verified Member
You might leave him straight in on the 6 ball or even scratch playing it that way... ANYWAY at least we agree banking the 15 ball and freezing is the best shot.. That makes 2 in a row Billy, 1 more and they call that a winning streak!!
I like my cue ball with shots like that one, I feel the angles really well and would play a good cue ball, if I din't feel comfortable with playing it like that then I would play it with a high ball with 1/2 tip right english to stay in front of the 6ball.

Dr. Bill

Nick B

Verified Member
It's a little frisky

It's a little frisky

It's a little frisky but your down two and if I'm playing someone who isn't a ball runner I might try this (sometimes you want the guy to think you will shoot a anything when in reality you are picking your spot). I like where the cueball is I can cue it well and load up the bottom-right.

Nick

Attachments

LSJohn

Verified Member
There were two shots here that I liked equally, and was trying to decide between...the one that I didn't pick, was to draw off of the inside of the 1ball with low right english, the cueball then caroming into the 15ball, removing both of Clyde's best balls, the cueball then caroming off of the 15, into the long rail, and then down to the foot rail behind the 9ball.

The second view ----->
I'm bankin' the 15 at the 11 and drawing almost straight back, clipping 1 or 9 or both (but I now see that you guys freezing on the 1 is better.)

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Suspended
Maybe I'm missing something here! "How is anyone going to bank the 15 ball straight back into the 3/14 or 3 or 14 ball?" And, stop the CB behind the 1 ball!

Here's how I see the angles for the bank on the 15!

Looks like to 'hold up' the bank into the 3/14, the CB will need plenty of LHE!

View attachment 12260

Last edited:

Wayne

Verified Member
Maybe I'm missing something here! "How is anyone going to bank the 15 ball straight back into the 3/14 or 3 or 14 ball?" And, stop the CB behind the 1 ball,

It can be done very easily with a wrist turn.

straightback

Verified Member
The main idea, 3c, is to bury the guy on the 1. So, do whatever it takes to bury him (I would submit low left will do the trick) and take whatever you get with object ball coming back down table to your side.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Maybe I'm missing something here! "How is anyone going to bank the 15 ball straight back into the 3/14 or 3 or 14 ball?" And, stop the CB behind the 1 ball!

Here's how I see the angles for the bank on the 15!

Looks like to 'hold up' the bank into the 3/14, the CB will need plenty of LHE!

View attachment 12260
Bill this is ROUTINE with low left hand english.. Its a stop shot!!

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
is there room for the 3 ball to go if so shoot the three ball combination and draw back. Very simple if not stick on the 1 ball.