Ghost vs. Cloidius 10/8/2014

Don Smith

Verified Member
"PS..Simple math, (which is tough for non-gamblers to compute) a 3-railer is 33 1/3 times harder, than a 2-railer !"

A quote by hall of famer, San Jose Dick McMorran.

Last edited:

keoneyo

Verified Member
( Art, I have shot shots like this one many many times, and the kiss on this shot isn't even close to being one. Striking the object ball as thinly as is needed speeds up the cue ball to stay safely away from any kiss. As far as shooting this type of shot in a layout like this one, i'm sure I have)

This is the question I have. If you are hitting the object ball thinly to avoid the kiss how can you control the speed of the white ball to fall behind the 3 without selling out if you miss.

Like I said previously 3 inches off and its a sell out to a good ball striker. 6 inches and Tom, Dick, and Chan can make it.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
( Art, I have shot shots like this one many many times, and the kiss on this shot isn't even close to being one. Striking the object ball as thinly as is needed speeds up the cue ball to stay safely away from any kiss. As far as shooting this type of shot in a layout like this one, i'm sure I have)

This is the question I have. If you are hitting the object ball thinly to avoid the kiss how can you control the speed of the white ball to fall behind the 3 without selling out if you miss.

Like I said previously 3 inches off and its a sell out to a good ball striker. 6 inches and Tom, Dick, and Chan can make it.
Ghost hit the shot great. However in this particular layout the average pro would need 5 attempts to pocket the ball and get good shape on the 3. And unless whitey is hidden behind the 3, it leaves two makeable banks for the opponent to win the match.

Cardone says he shoots this shot all the time in this type of layout. Why, even Buddy does. This usually results in a change of backers.:D Hell, if I went back to drinkin', maybe I'd shoot it myself!

~Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
My bad...

My bad...

Keoneyo, and Doc, I spoke too quickly and didn't judge the shot by setting it up at the table:sorry What I did was eye ball the shot and formed an opinion based off of that and other things that misled me.:eek:. So I decided to go to the table and set it up:eek: The angle is too steep to be comfortable with in controlling the cue ball which makes the possibility of selling out a shot on the 3ball much more of a concern then I originally believed. No I wouldn't shoot this shot in despite of needing all the balls and I really can't believe that the Ghost shot it either.:confused: I'm actually wondering if when the Ghost set the shot up for review if he set it up in the exact position he shot it from..:confused: If the cue ball was another three or four inches out from the rail then it would change the angle enough to make it a very viable option.:D (here we go again)

I guess this is proof that even a Dr. can be wrong..ain't that right Doc.:heh:D

Dr. Bill

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Keoneyo, and Doc, I spoke too quickly and didn't judge the shot by setting it up at the table:sorry What I did was eye ball the shot and formed an opinion based off of that and other things that misled me.:eek:. So I decided to go to the table and set it up:eek: The angle is too steep to be comfortable with in controlling the cue ball which makes the possibility of selling out a shot on the 3ball much more of a concern then I originally believed. No I wouldn't shoot this shot in despite of needing all the balls and I really can't believe that the Ghost shot it either.:confused: I'm actually wondering if when the Ghost set the shot up for review if he set it up in the exact position he shot it from..:confused: If the cue ball was another three or four inches out from the rail then it would change the angle enough to make it a very viable option.:D (here we go again)

Dr. Bill
I can't be positive Billy - I didn't memorize the layout before I shot it, since at that time I didn't know I was going to have a reason to/post the shot up - the cueball could have been 2" further out from the rail when I shot it - not more than that - or the 10ball an inch in..but that's very close to how it was...

Hey Clyde...wasn't that about how you remember the 3-railer to have been sitting?

- Ghost

keoneyo

Verified Member
Predicated on the position of the CB.

Predicated on the position of the CB.

Dr. Bill
If the CB had been out a 3 or 4 inches Im sure most of the learned members of the forum would have suggested the 3 railer. However I personally would not shoot it the same way the Ghost did. He being the more experienced player than I.

I would have 3 railed it and sticking Whitey to the side rail using the 1 as a blocker to the shot object ball if missed but near my hole. If I made it I would hope that I could pocket the one and come down for the ball on the short rail and then bank the 3 ball to win. (Or if Im too straight on the 1 ball, pocket the 1 and bank the 3 to my hole and get shape on the lower ball to win.)

This of course is the longer route to the win but using the 1 ball as a blocker is
a shot that I feel comfortable with and puts pressure on my opponent shooting from the side rail at a blocked or partially seen ball. However I can take criticism for such a conservative strategy.

The way the Ghost shot it unequivocally shows his strength and knowledge. Like David he did bring his slingshot to put down Goliath. I don't have the accuracy and I would approach the Philistines quite differently.

jtompilot

Verified Member
I've been playing around with the shot a lot more. When hit well the shape on the three is automatic.

I set it up ten times. Made it once, hung it once, and was close once. It kissed three times(too much draw) and scratched once. The two railer was more consistent for me and I think a better overall shot.

For a good banker I can see why Ghost shot it but it does have a higher chance of selling out the 3 in stead of moving it and playing shape on the 1.

Cloidius

Verified Member
Hey Clyde...wasn't that about how you remember the 3-railer to have been sitting?

- Ghost
Well... I think the balls were laying pretty close to the diagramed positions, but they were probably just an inch or two toward a more favorable lie, especially the ten. The way I recall, the ten was pretty close to the cushion, and the cue ball may have been just a bit higher on the long rail, but I do not believe any closer to the center of the short rail. The most memorable aspect of the way that The Ghost struck the ball was the speed, as it needed all of its final rotation to reach the hole, while the cue ball had already settled comfortably on the top ball for position.

3RAILKICK

Verified Member
Slippery? - I don't know what you guys are talking about....the Ghost is as pure as the driven snow...:heh...next thing you know, you guys will say that the Ghost is capable of stalling when playing a fellow onepocket.org member...:eek:

3RK.....If we ever meet up to play, I believe I'll need a spot from you..:eek:..cuz I don't believe I can make the 3-railer and get shape 2 out of 4 times like you do..:heh..I can probably only do it about 1 out of 5 times...:)

- Ghost
Ghost: I don't think a spot is in order.:eek::eek: Hitting it with no pressure, for shits and giggles, with your instruction, and getting balls afire lucky is a far cry from making it in a game situation when you need all four.

As in 9ball...all I ask for is '3 shit shots a game'....that's all I ask...

Great shot on your part...crazzy lucky on mine. And great job talking us through the shot...obviously.:D