Ghost vs. Arturo 5 wwyd

LSJohn

Verified Member
Hey guys, no prob. I can blame the confusion partly on myself for not figuring out how to diagram my shots. They aren't always easy to grasp from text alone.

But thanks for the responses.

Damn, I love this place.

P.S. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm sure glad wannabe came around. I admire his shot selections and analysis.

baby huey

Verified Member
I'm taking the fifteen right now. I didn't like the draw shot bank on the fourteen. Too much could go wrong with that shot. My second thought is to just bank the fourteen into the two balls on my side rail and leave the cue ball on the rail or follow it down to the end rail. Tactically speaking staying ahead in the ball count is important in what looks like an up table game developing.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Always important to look at all possibilities...but that said...as for the 13ball into the 9-11 shot...

First of all, I didn't mention it, because it 'wasn't on'....and besides that, it has a huge downside to it, whereas all of the other choices have no downside...

Right now none of those balls go in Arturo's pocket...after shooting that shot - every ball will now go in Arturo's pocket...

And you'll probably clip the 15ball over to the two 12 and 4 balls, thus tying up what was your best ball...

And, you could very easily leave a cross-corner, or a cross-corner-power-shot - and possibly lose the game in the next inning...:eek:

- Ghost

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Always important to look at all possibilities...but that said...as for the 13ball into the 9-11 shot...

First of all, I didn't mention it, because it 'wasn't on'....and besides that, it has a huge downside to it, whereas all of the other choices have no downside...

Right now none of those balls go in Arturo's pocket...after shooting that shot - every ball will now go in Arturo's pocket...

And you'll probably clip the 15ball over to the two 12 and 4 balls, thus tying up what was your best ball...

And, you could very easily leave a cross-corner, or a cross-corner-power-shot - and possibly lose the game in the next inning...:eek:

- Ghost
If it's not laying right, and you were there so you would know for sure, then it would absolutely not be the correct shot here and I wouldn't try it.

If I didn't see much else, I would probably shoot the 15 with a soft draw to get the 1 ball bank, I do that shot pretty well. It might very well head to an uptable game from here, it's a pretty neutral position.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Ghost, I must admit that my idea of posting an answer ahead of time is not as good as I though it would be. Others are right in that it removes the mystery. Go back to what you were doing. It was working fine.

Thanks for the wwyds.

Tom

Will do...

As for this one though...people can still post up which of the different choices they would shoot...

wincardona

Verified Member
Ok, for this wwyd I'm going to do what Tom requested = stating what I did, and why, beforehand...

My shot --- my pocket is at the top right --- the ball score is 2-2, both going to 8...

I have several excellent choices here - all of which I considered....the majority of players would probably shoot the 15ball here - and draw back 10-12 inches to bank the 5ball next.....I considered doing that, but didn't - mainly because my execution of making an exactly straight-in shot into a shimmed pocket, with the perfect 12" amount of draw, from semi-long distance, is not a certainty for me...

I could have shot the 15ball in and stopped right here - kicking in the 1ball next - which lies perfect for kicking = 1/8" off the rail - making it a high% kick...

I could have shot the 15ball in, drew back a couple of inches, and then banked the 6ball straight back next - I would have the angle for it to be a free shot...

I could bank the 6ball straight back at pocket speed - with natural 3-rail shape for the 14 or 15ball next...

Or I could forego the obvious 15ball, and instead bank the 14ball straight back - and that's what I chose...because...

It was laying just about dead-ahead/a high% bank...I bank well...I'll also be removing Arturo's best ball...and I could shoot it at pocket speed combined with naturally drawing back a few inches in order to double him up with the 15 if I miss the bank - or if I make the bank, have shape on the 15 with a slight angle so that I can pocket it, while sliding over for the 1ball next.

wwyd? ----->
All your choices are very well explained and noted, however there is one shot in particular that I would like to disagree with it as a viable option, the kick on the 1ball after pocketing the 15ball. In this situation your opponents balls are tied up so kicking at the 1ball isn't as risky as if his balls were not tied up but still (imo) not a good option for the following reasons. You can only get one ball but you can lose much more than what you gain if the kick is missed. If the kick is missed you may leave a return bank with the ability to follow up with a good move and gain a strong position for your opponent. Plus by choosing the 1ball kick you are losing the value of the other options that are viable options and trading that off for the kick, not a good idea..imo.

jerry matchin
I'm taking the fifteen right now. I didn't like the draw shot bank on the fourteen. Too much could go wrong with that shot. My second thought is to just bank the fourteen into the two balls on my side rail and leave the cue ball on the rail or follow it down to the end rail. Tactically speaking staying ahead in the ball count is important in what looks like an up table game developing.
I like this option, you score a ball and then open up the balls on your side rail along with positioning the cue ball in back of the stripe forcing your opponent to play a defensive shot and defend against four open balls to your pocket, the 1ball kick could be one of them.:lol

Dr. Bill

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
What? Me? Nawh, I don't think it would quite pinch behind the 4, however my 9 ball tendencies like crossing the 6 with 7 o'clock and coming into the 9 off the long rail and running out. That, or banking the 14 and drawing back for breakout shape on the 1 ball.:)
Kidding aside,

I really do like Ghost's choice of banking the 14. It looks like it lays perfect and as far as the hit is concerned, it shouldn't be a problem at that range. For a good banker, it's gotta be a 80%ter. If made, you need 5 more to get out in this inning and the 15 and 1 reduce that # to 3. If you get perfect on the 1, you could open up the 9/11, then possibly the 4/10 and get all the way out.

If you don't fall great on the 1 ball, you just pocket it and play for a 2 rail on the 13 trying to open up the 4/10 and sticking the CB behind the 9/11 and take a 5/2 lead in the game with the best position

Yep, I'm shooting that 14 ball bank, to me it's got the best upside while having hardly any downside. Jmo

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
I like this option, you score a ball and then open up the balls on your side rail along with positioning the cue ball in back of the stripe forcing your opponent to play a defensive shot and defend against four open balls to your pocket, the 1ball kick could be one of them. :lol

Dr. Bill
It's an ok option...but :sorry, it's definitely not the best option here..just to mention one thing - banking from long distance, there's no guarantee that you open up those balls on your rail <---- (this could easily be my first prop-bet challenge of 2016 :heh )

Kidding aside,

I really do like Ghost's choice of banking the 14. It looks like it lays perfect and as far as the hit is concerned, it shouldn't be a problem at that range. For a good banker, it's gotta be a 80%ter. If made, you need 5 more to get out in this inning and the 15 and 1 reduce that # to 3. If you get perfect on the 1, you could open up the 9/11, then possibly the 4/10 and get all the way out.

If you don't fall great on the 1 ball, you just pocket it and play for a 2 rail on the 13 trying to open up the 4/10 and sticking the CB behind the 9/11 and take a 5/2 lead in the game with the best position

Yep, I'm shooting that 14 ball bank, to me it's got the best upside while having hardly any downside.
Yeah Jeff..."grape vines think alike"...:heh

- Specter

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I like shooting the 15 and just focus on making the ball and stopping the CB there. Next bank the 6 pocket speed and try to hide the CB behind the 14 and if it goes then you have the 14 to shoot at next.

By the way, great eyes by LSJ and 1PW on their suggestion - that's the true shot and gives you the best chance to win the game imo.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Ghost vs. Arturo 5 wwyd

Nobody likes pocketing the 15 and drawing straight back for the 14 next?

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I have the stroke for this, but I would draw back so much it would scratch in the upper corner...punishment by the 1P gods above for trying such a shot.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
I talked to Orcullo and Shane this morning - they like that shot - said it's a hanger...;)...

PS, But then again...I also talked to champion bankers: Skylar, Justin Hall, and Shannon D..and smart movers: Cliff, Parica, double-J and Sylver - and all seven of them said they'd bank the 14ball straight back, like myself and Jeff...:heh

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Ghost vs. Arturo 5 wwyd

To each his own I suppose. 😊

Though I agree 1pw that I would possibly overcook the draw. Although a scratch is blocked by the rail or the 14 I could still go back and be off angle.

LSJohn

Verified Member
I talked to Orcullo and Shane this morning - they like that shot - said it's a hanger...;)...

PS, But then again...I also talked to champion bankers: Skylar, Justin Hall, and Shannon D..and smart movers: Cliff, Parica, double-J and Sylver - and all seven of them said they'd bank the 14ball straight back, like myself and Jeff...:heh
I talked to Ronnie Allen, Greg Stevens, St. Louis Louie, Beenie Weenie and Freddie B this morning... They all said you're fulla shit. :D

Then Grady checked in and said, "Get him to bet somethin'." :heh

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
I talked to Ronnie Allen, Greg Stevens, St. Louis Louie, Beenie Weenie and Freddie B this morning... They all said you're fulla shit. :D

Then Grady checked in and said, "Get him to bet somethin'." :heh
I talked to your ex-wife this morning..:eek:...and oh my God...the unbelievable stuff she told me about you!...:D...:p...maybe I'll post it up in the members only section...:heh

androd

Verified Member
I talked to your ex-wife this morning..:eek:...and oh my God...the unbelievable stuff she told me about you!...:D...:p...maybe I'll post it up in the members only section...:heh
Careful she's been known to embelish. Haven't we all ! :):p:D

wincardona

Verified Member
Kidding aside,

Yep, I'm shooting that 14 ball bank, to me it's got the best upside while having hardly any downside. Jmo
80%er..How good are you playing? Now I can see why you like the 14ball bank Jeff, after making the bank as good as you're playing running out shouldn't be a problem at all.:heh Matter of fact why not just bank the 14ball and draw for the 1ball with the angle to open up the balls.;)

Dr. Bill