Geographically Induced One Pocket Playing Styles - Or Not

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
too tired, will finish posting this tomorrow...
I know exactly where you're going with this Ghosty. It's true, people who play one-pocket where there are "danger: falling boulders" signs tend to jump up a lot when they shoot:eek: . Daulton must play under a very rocky cliff:p .

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Astute observation...

Astute observation...

Cowboy Dennis said:
I know exactly where you're going with this Ghosty. It's true, people who play one-pocket where there are "danger: falling boulders" signs tend to jump up a lot when they shoot . Daulton must play under a very rocky cliff .

Thats true RBL...Just ask John H., or myself...Jumping up, (AKA, not staying down :p) Can be a terminal ailment, as you try to cope with all the other things involved in the aging process...It sucks big time..:(..And, If you do it often enough, the dreaded "yips" can set in, which make you look like you are playing Frost, instead of a very mediocre player...like the Ghost..:p..(allready working on my [sic] "excuse list")..;)

I am thinking of employing the famous Nicklaus method, for keeping your head down...A length of fishing line, looped around the neck, to a fish hook, inserted in your shorts, just below your testicular sac...:eek:..Hey, it worked for Jack !

The "Besotted Duckbrain"

PS..Not wishing Ghosty any ill will, but it may be contageous...He is not getting any younger, and he may just start "jumping up" in sympathy...when we play !

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
Thats true RBL...Just ask John H., or myself...Jumping up, (AKA, not staying down :p) Can be a terminal ailment, as you try to cope with all the other things involved in the aging process...It sucks big time..:(..And, If you do it often enough, the dreaded "yips" can set in, which make you look like you are playing Frost, instead of a very mediocre player like the Ghost...(allready working on my [sic] "excuse list")..;) I am thinking of employing the famous Nicklaus..:eek: method, for keeping your head down...A length of twine, attatched around the neck, to a fish hook, inserted just below you testicular sack...worked for Jack !
PS..Not wishing Ghosty any ill will, but it may be contageous...He is not getting any younger, and he may just start "jumping up" in sympathy when we play...:eek:
As I once explained to a young player who was trying to break the habit of jumping up, all you have to do is tie a string around your neck and the other end of it to your nuts, that will prevent the extremely bad habit from recurring.

EDIT: I see you modified your post (as usual) before I finished my own. Jack can kiss my ass, I thought of that idea long before he ever did.

RBL

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I figured that when I got back, there'd be some jokes on here by the usual suspects :D....now back to being serious.....

Doc and Bernie mentioning possible different playing styles between AZ. and SoCal. prompted me to post this thread.......Bernie, perhaps anticipating Doc, said >>> "I've never played in the LA area but it would not surprise me if there was an aggressive/Frost influence comparison verses a general west coast/squeeze type analogy?".....I say to that - Bernie, fugeddabout those all-encompassing blanket statements that people often make....

The game being One Pocket, Banks, etc...while there may be some geographic influence to playing styles - making a blanket statement to this effect would not really be accurate....in reality, playing styles within a region or city change decidedly from player to player....obviously, you have to have knowledge of/be familiar with different players in order to analyze this.....as previously mentioned, let's take Az. and SoCal./Calif. One Pocket for example...

Az. supposedly has the aggressive playing style?...The Aggressors >>> Frost (not nearly as much as he used to be though, imo), Ellerman, Pankoff...

...but, Bernie, Gus Briseno, Preacher Ronn? - not overly aggressive...for the most part they play a solid, balanced game, mixing in offense and defense...

...so in AZ we have a mixed bag...

And they squeeze in SoCal/Calif?...Yep, Bernie, go there and play Morro, Tall Phil, Rafael Martinez, and Tony Chohan (if he were around - hope he's holding up ok) - they're going to really squeeze you :rolleyes: - playing them, a half hour might go by and they still haven't played a safety, lol - and the 4" pockets won't stop them from firing at their hole either :eek:...and let's not forget those old-time won't-shoot-at-they're-hole-squeezers Ronnie & the Keither :)...

...and then on the other hand, just to give a couple of examples - in SoCal. we have guys like Wayne and Rich - and up north, Billy Palmer and George Michaels, who all play that nice solid balanced game of offense and defense.

Now in closing, let me contradict myself re. a region...in New York City there may not be anybody who will shoot at their hole...except maybe our forum-brother Tim...;)

- Ghost

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
ghost ive always been of the impression that in the old days you had the "chicago squeeze" and the aggressive offense minded west coast game style ala ronnie.
wouldnt it make sense if the local heroes play a certain style that players from a certain area would tend to learn that style preferentially since that would be more what they see and what would be shown to them??ie geographic differences
nowadays with people like scott as a role model players are looking to shoot more than to squeeze.
there will always be exceptions
but isnt the knock nowadays on the younger players from the older ones
"if they learned to move/squeeze they would be REALLY good one pocket players"
i think this is a generation thing and a "maturity/understanding of the game" thing . more than geographics.
just my 2 cents

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
lll said:
ghost nowadays with people like scott as a role model young players are looking to shoot more than to squeeze.

Larry....What you said above, is just the kind of blanket statement that I said I disagree with - it's BS - don't just repeat what you hear somebody say - they're just blathering...do they give you names & specifics? - no they don't....when I make a point, I do....that said...

Strong playing young One Pocket players - here's some names for you: Sylver Ochoa, Gabe Owen, Danny Smith, Brandon Shuff, Adam Smith, Beau Runningen, Joey Gray, Chris Gentile --- they're all young players that play excellent to great One Pocket - and none of them play wild or aggressive, and they don't want to - they all play a smart, balanced, style of game - they're all very respectful and serious about the game, they want to play it at the very highest level, and they play accordingly.

lll said:
i think this is a generation thing and "maturity/understanding of the game" thing more than geographics.
just my 2 cents

Larry.....I definitely agree with this - and obviously it's true in many things in life, not just One Pocket...here's just two examples out of many...

17 yr. old drivers have tons more accidents then 35 yr.olds - because they're immature and take risky chances instead of 'playing safe'...

Young NFL quarterbacks throw lots of interceptions in their first year or two in the league, before they mature - they just can't resist throwing that football 'at their hole' into double/triple coverage, when they should have 'played safe'...

- Ghost

PS, The only times that the young Ghost didn't 'play safe' when he should have, was...by never using a condom...:eek:...:D

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost

PS, The only times that the young Ghost didn't play safe when he should have, was...by never using a condom...:eek:...:D
i hope you did not catch anything:eek: :D

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Ghost said:
- don't just repeat what you hear somebody say - they're just blathering...do they give you names & specifics? - no they don't....when I make a point, I do....that said...
The only times that the young Ghost didn't play safe when he should have, was...by never using a condom...:D

Larry,

What Mr. "Aging" Ghost has forgotten is,...Mr. "Young" Ghost, really only had to worry about a clean "fist"...Condoms for safety, were not needed for "self-pleasuring".

Sadly, his opportunities, when he was young, were virtually non-existent...When his hormones first began raging, He would have stuck his baliwick under a rock, and hoped there was some form of life (a snake, worms, maggots...anything)...to give him relief....:eek:

The one or two shots he may have had with a $5 "VD laced" Chicago hooker, (gender unknown)...were obviously pursued sans condom...as he rarely got far enough to make penetration, before he,..er, ah ...well,...you know what I mean...:eek:

The Sand Duck <---Never had to worry about such things as "safe sex", because from age 12-13 on, his young damsel's...were pure as the driven snow..:p :p

Last edited:

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
SJDinPHX said:
...Jumping up, (AKA, not staying down :p) Can be a terminal ailment, as you try to cope with all the other things involved in the aging process...It sucks big time...

When watching one pocket I always keep an eye out for head movement. Seems to be the biggest flaw in one pocket no matter what your age - but more prevelant in older players. Watched head movement every once in a while in both Efren and Sylver recently while they were playing Rich. Shuff seemed best at staying down.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I slay me....

I slay me....

When Jasper wakes up...I hope he goes directly to post # 9...:eek:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
SJDinPHX said:
When Jasper wakes up...I hope he goes directly to post # 9...

Yes, I read your post #9...it was so unfunny-boring that it made me nod off back to sleep...it reeks of 'trying to hard' - you really need some new material - you've been regurgitating those $5 hooker jokes for about 2 years now....my humor-joking can give yours about 10-6...:cool:...you've proven it yourself since you've stolen some of my comedy lines, routines and pics...:rolleyes:

- Fantasma

PS, Please stop embarassing yourself by trying to match comic wits with me..:rolleyes:..instead, go back to flaming with Freddy - that's much more entertaining for all of us....:D

PPS, And by the way, if you had been fortunate enough to watch me play One Pocket over the years - I know you would have stolen some of those shots and moves of mine also..:cool:

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Ghost said:
You really need some new material....my humor-joking can give yours about 10-6... Please stop embarassing yourself by trying to match comic wits with me...

Au contraire, Ghost person...I would never even try to match "comic wits" with you...I am sure our brethren are cognisent of the fact, that my post #9 contained only true and factual information..;)

It is a well known fact, that I seek (and demand) only the truth, and by your acting so offended, only shows the correct and proper buttons were pushed..:p

Sadly, "denial" (and epidermal deficiencies)...seem to be a common trait, among "Windy City" residents....:eek: :eek:

The (formally) Besotted Duck <---has not had a drink, in over two hours !

Edit, to your edit...If you had been around me any length of time, back in the day...you would have long ago, given up even trying to play one pocket..:cool:

Last edited: