G. Owen vs. A. Pagulayan 2010 D.C.C. #6

senor

Verified Member
bstroud said:
With the new pic my shot is much easier. Just go off the stripe and put the cue ball on the side rail. Maybe I'm not quite understanding how the cue ball will come off the stripe to the side rail. Is it a little swerve into the left side of the stripe? That's what I am seeing when I read your posts.

The problem in going down to the far opposite pocket is that he will just bank the stripe in the middle of the table and place the cue ball back in the original position. Perhaps worse. He could also shoot a ball in his hole. In order to shoot the stripe, he will be aiming it towards Gabe's pocket and there will probably be some kind of collision with the stripe and the 7, 8, 9 or 14. Unless the balls lie perfectly, I don't think he will be able to move the stripe away from Gabe's pocket. The 7, 9, 8 and 14 are all there to keep the stripe near Gabe's pocket after impact, unless somehow Alex is able to hit it mach speed. Personally, I don't think repositioning the cue ball in a worse spot is possible, considering where Gabe is now, and there is a high chance it will not even be an option for Alex for reasons just stated. And I don't think anyone shoots from that spot unless one is obviously sold out.

Why give up a ball and take a risk when a simple shot is available. Therein lies one of the many beauties of the game.

Bill Stroud

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
bstroud said:
With the new pic my shot is much easier. Just go off the stripe and put the cue ball on the side rail.

Bill Stroud

If you can do that, just bank the 14 ball to your pocket.:D
Rod.

bstroud

Verified Member
I don't think the angle for the bank is there but the safety certainly is.

Bill Stroud

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
bstroud said:
With the new pic my shot is much easier. Just go off the stripe and put the cue ball on the side rail.

The problem in going down to the far opposite pocket is that he will just bank the stripe in the middle of the table and place the cue ball back in the original position. Perhaps worse. He could also shoot a ball in his hole.

Why give up a ball and take a risk when a simple shot is available.

Bill Stroud
Bill,

Are you suggesting this shot or something similar? I'm not sure the cueball can even hit the 14 ball and it's not clear from the DVD either. The side-pocket tit is very big from that angle and if you hit it fuller to hit this side of the pocket you must hit it harder and send the 14 into the stack and disturb them, possibly leaving an easy shot. You also remove the only threat you have by moving the 14, if that's what you are talking about.

Possible Shot.jpg

bstroud

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Bill,

Are you suggesting this shot or something similar? I'm not sure the cueball can even hit the 14 ball and it's not clear from the DVD either. The side-pocket tit is very big from that angle and if you hit it fuller to hit this side of the pocket you must hit it harder and send the 14 into the stack and disturb them, possibly leaving an easy shot. You also remove the only threat you have by moving the 14, if that's what you are talking about.

View attachment 3559

No. I am going off the other side and end up near the 10" ball on the side rail.

Bill Stroud

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
bstroud said:
Looks like a small masse to the left side of the 14 ball and the cue ball across table.

Bill Stroud
dennis i think this is the shot he was thinking of
bb3.jpg
bill tell us which is your shot

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
bstroud said:
No. I am going off the other side and end up near the 10 ball on the side rail.

Bill Stroud
Bill, I'm fairly certain that that shot is not there in this layout. The rock is too close to the 7 ball.

Dennis

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Frank Almanza said:
Of all the options seen here, I like this one the best. The worse is you lose a ball. You'll probably have to start over again to develop the balls to your side of the table.

I most like Freddies use of reverse on whitey to guarantee his length in ing' when hitting the long rail first, dastardly, you'd probably land 1.5 diamonds from the bottom rail, much better than 2 diamonds up', you might even leave the lower stripe Exposed (bait) if you hit it poorly and short but your opponent is now on the head rail. Knowing it's not GOOD to feed your opponent good shots,and this roller is no bargain also, it gives your opponent another distraction and another way to sell out.

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

senor

Verified Member
Thanks for the new angle Dennis. You could drive a mack truck through the deuce and the stripe.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:
I don't know if they're frozen but here's another pic from a different angle.

View attachment 3554
senor a mack truck from the side pocket could definitely go thru there
from the shooters spot on the table maybe a hundai:eek:
still doable and a good shot:)

bstroud

Verified Member
The diagram in post 26 is the basic shot. I think you can get closer to the 10 ball on the rail.

As the balls lie it is not possible to get into an aggressive position unless Alex makes a mistake.

The key here are the 2 balls on Alex's' side on the rail. They give you a place to hide the cue ball and if Alex leaves you anywhere on the same rail a chance to place both of these balls over on your side.

With the cue ball over by the 10 ball Alex must deal with the 3 balls near your pocket. If you can leave the cue ball between the 10 and the 7 he will have some real problems. He can not move the 4 and the combo is tricky. He can't bank the seven.

The other shots leave him a chance to shoot at his pocket. My shot does not.

Bill Stroud

senor

Verified Member
I'm of the opinion that playing the cue ball anywhere Stroud, Billy and Freddy have described forfeits position, and I wouldn't want to give it away so easily if there were a path to get to the bottom left corner. Stroud keeps on mentioning some kind of sellout from this position, but that has me scratching my head.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Island Drive said:
I like hittin' the long rail to your right, go three rails and land whitey about two diamonds up table on the other long rail. Cost ya ONE....

Yes that should work also.
I believe Freddy, Billy I, Ghost, Senor and many more here, know how to shoot the CB one rail into any corner pocket. I don't think it's that hard of a shot. I lagged it down there 3 in a row today and didn't make the CB once, or hit any balls.
I'm not arguing if it's the right shot. I'm just saying it's not too tough. :p
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
bstroud said:
I don't think the angle for the bank is there but the safety certainly is.

Bill Stroud
The angle for the bank is clearly there providing you can hit the 14 ball on the left side of it, which hasn't yet been determined. To me it doesn't look like you can.

When you say the angle for the bank isn't there but the safety is, are you actually saying that playing the bank on the 14 ball is not advisable because of the problem with cue ball control? Where as the safety is available off the 14 ball simply because you have the ability to slow the cue ball up?

Bill, the angle offered on the 14 ball, providing you can hit the side of the 14 ball you need to hit to execute your shot looks to me that you may go into the 8 ball after contact, by using a tip below center. You may be able to avoid contacting the 8 ball with a tip above center ball, but you must then hit the 14 ball fat and play an all out safety. If this is what your saying then I agree with your logic, but if not then you really are confusing me.:confused:

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
senor said:
Thanks for the new angle Dennis. You could drive a mack truck through the deuce and the stripe.
I agree that the new angle makes this kick look like it's a more inviting option. But the original angle shot wasn't so inviting. From the original angle shot it looked like to me that you really had to thread the needle to get there, now it looks like you may just be able to drive your truck through there, maybe.:D

I still don't believe that Gabe can hit the 14 ball on the left side to try Strouds choice. If he can i'm in agreement with Rod when he says that why play safe? Why wouldn't you just bank the 14 ball at your pocket? I would bank the 14 ball at my pocket and go into the bottom of the 7 ball with the cue ball. Top players shouldn't have a problem doing that.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
call me crazy if you like.

call me crazy if you like.

There's another shot that hasn't yet been discussed, and that is to play a three cushion safety with a medium soft speed and reposition the cue ball near the ball on the foot spot.

How many times have we played a three cushion kick toward our pocket? 1000's of times, right? Think a little out of the box and envision this shot, it's not that tough to do and the reward is a game winner.

Call me crazy if you like, but I can see myself actually playing this shot in high $$$ action. Believe it or not.:cool:

Billy I.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
senor said:
I would do what it looks like Gabe is measuring out, try to kick between the 2 and the stripe out in space near the side pocket. Take a foul and position cue ball where Alex is doubled up and likely won't have clear path to move balls near Gabe's hole or get behind them. Might even get lucky and skim the stripe and get a rail. He's probably asking himself if there is any way the cue ball can scratch in the corner. It looks like it can.
That would be my shot too.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
An even crazier option

An even crazier option

wincardona said:
There's another shot that hasn't yet been discussed, and that is to play a three cushion safety with a medium soft speed and reposition the cue ball near the ball on the foot spot.

How many times have we played a three cushion kick toward our pocket? 1000's of times, right? Think a little out of the box and envision this shot, it's not that tough to do and the reward is a game winner.

Call me crazy if you like, but I can see myself actually playing this shot in high $$$ action. Believe it or not.:cool:

Billy I.

You aim whitie at the side rail to your right just barely above the corner pocket with some RH english, jack up and use top. Snap the shot and, in the best outcome, you hit the rail, whitie becomes airborn and jumps over the balls on the right side of the table near the foot rail, lands, goes to the side rail on the left side, rebounds and either makes the combo in your pocket or snugs up to the ball on the rail or maybe makes it. In any case, you are better off than you were and this shot is very doable.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
senor said:
I would do what it looks like Gabe is measuring out, try to kick between the 2 and the stripe out in space near the side pocket. Take a foul and position cue ball where Alex is doubled up and likely won't have clear path to move balls near Gabe's hole or get behind them. Might even get lucky and skim the stripe and get a rail. He's probably asking himself if there is any way the cue ball can scratch in the corner. It looks like it can.
This was too easy of a layout for a player:) . You win a cookie Senor:cool: .

GO's Shot.jpg

He hit it a little hard but here's where he left it:

CapturedPicture_13.Jpeg