G. Breedlove vs. E. Strickland 2007 D.C.C. #2

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
It's game 5 and it's the Gloved one's shot. What would you do?

View attachment 3821

If that was George's pocket, where all those balls are, I would just shoot myself....Oh wait, is this that silly "niche" game....:p

Just noticed I was trespassing..:cool:

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Cowboy Dennis said:
It's game 5 and it's the Gloved one's shot. What would you do?

View attachment 3821

Offensively, take the glove off and put the 2 back to my right.

Defensively, drive the 3 down to the cluster and sit the CB on top of the 2.

Diamonds are a little tougher to scratch on given their pockets, so I'd go with the offensive shot.

John Brumback

Verified Member
I only see one shot but I'm not allowed to say what I think yet.I got scolded the other day.hehe.John B.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
what about this as a safety??
john its ok to pick it apart and tell how stupid it is:D
hit softly to bunch the balls up
dont think id leave the 8 cross side or corner
jj2.jpg

John Brumback

Verified Member
lll said:
View attachment 3831

I really didn't see that shot.Might work If you lay It down just right.Nobody's picked my shot yet,sad face.John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
jj2.jpg
Larry,

Balls are so valuable in banks that players don't normally risk a foul on a shot like that. It's also extremely easy to give up a shot there.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
John Brumback said:
I only see one shot but I'm not allowed to say what I think yet.I got scolded the other day.hehe.John B.

Volunteering unasked to temporarily withdraw from layouts featuring your own matches and then Larry & I agreeing with your decision is not "getting scolded".

Dennis

John Brumback said:
PS:maybe I should stay out of these for awhile.(the ones with me In them)
Cowboy Dennis said:
Sounds like a good idea John. I think many don't want to contradict you if you post early in a thread and so they don't post at all. It was much the same way when Artie and/or Incardona posted early in a one-pocket thread. Some don't want to contradict the player and others aren't comfortable until they see other's opinions. Fortunately I've never suffered from either malady .

Dennis
lll said:
john i agree with dennis
let others have enough rope
its tough to contradict people with your credentials
for teaching
you might want to comment on the weakness of some replies
before you give your opinion

think of yourself as the one we go to pilgrimage to hear the words of the LEARNED ONE
you and freddy

John Brumback

Verified Member
Yes Sir

Yes Sir

Yes Sir. Sir.I was only joking.I will try not to joke with you anymore.Jk maybe.
haha.John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Larry,

Balls are so valuable in banks that players don't normally risk a foul on a shot like that. It's also extremely easy to give up a shot there.

Dennis

Great point Dennis! I should have mentioned that also.Thanks,John B.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Johnson Bar stiff

Johnson Bar stiff

Banks said:
Offensively, take the glove off and put the 2 back to my right.

A sell-out stiff.

Defensively, drive the 3 down to the cluster and sit the CB on top of the 2.
Sensible choice.

Diamonds are a little tougher to scratch on, given their pockets, so I'd go with the offensive shot.
That choice is stiffer than a 16 year old's Johnson Bar.

What I would do is first, move the most dangerous ball, the 3 ball, by going off the side of the 3 ball, making sure I miss the 2 ball and carom down to the foot rail and return the q ball to the head rail. The angle is there. About a 1/2 ball hit. Worst you will leave is a long straight back.

Beard

John Brumback

Verified Member
My shot Is to thin off the 2 ball bump It Into the brown ball (ball beside side pocket) and two rail the cball back where It Is now.That was the first shot that came to mind for me.Bout a half a ball hit.Perfect angle for It.Might be about like Fred's.John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
fred bentivegna said:
What I would do is first, move the most dangerous ball, the 3 ball, by going off the side of the 3 ball, making sure I miss the 2 ball and carom down to the foot rail and return the q ball to the head rail. The angle is there. About a 1/2 ball hit. Worst you will leave is a long straight back.

Beard
Freddy,

I'm assuming you mean the 5 ball. Is this close to your shot? Definitely one of the two shots I would play. It might even hit the 2 ball and leave no shot at all.

Dennis

Beards Shot.jpg

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
John Brumback said:
My shot Is to thin off the 2 ball bump It Into the brown ball (ball beside side pocket) and two rail the cball back where It Is now.That was the first shot that came to mind for me.Bout a half a ball hit.Perfect angle for It.Might be about like Fred's.John B.
I think the 2 is too low to cut it into the 7 ball but it's still the other shot I would consider. The main goal on this shot is to get the rock back uptable and leave a long straight-back if anything, something the Gloved One didn't know to do.

Here's how I think the shot off the 2 would go:

JB's Shot.jpg

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Here's what Earl shot, the 5 barely hit the 7:

Earl's Shot.jpg

Don't let this happen to you:

CapturedPicture_7.Jpeg

George drilled the 2 ball cross-corner and drew back and then drilled the 5 ball cross-corner. He then barely missed the 7 ball cross-corner to his left.

GB's Shot.jpg

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Might leave a cross side

Might leave a cross side

John Brumback said:

John unless you put the cue ball back exactly where you started from you will leave a cross side. A pretty good cut would be required but a cross side nonetheless. Thats why I opted to make sure I moved that ball before playing safe back to the head rail.

Beard

Yes, Dennis I meant the 5 ball if thats the closest ball to the cue ball.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
fred bentivegna said:
Yes, Dennis I meant the 5 ball if thats the closest ball to the cue ball.
I think we all agree that the only two balls that can be shot are the 2 & the 5. All a player has to do is decide which offers the best way to leave a long tough shot if not executed to perfection. I imagine we'd have to be at the table to decide for certain and this is the only pic (original layout) of the shot.
The 2 may leave a cross-side on the 5 but the 5 may leave a straight-back on the 2 if it hits it. It's always a matter of being at the table and making a choice but we've narrowed it down.

Dennis