frost vs brumback #238

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
Ok I see that. Shooting the 14 into the outer edge of the 15 ball and knocking both balls away from that side and possibly hitting the 7. That way you get rid of 3 balls!! But why is it a power shot? Do you mean it takes a lot of power in the stroke to do this? Or power meaning really aggressive.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Ok I see that. Shooting the 14 into the outer edge of the 15 ball and knocking both balls away from that side and possibly hitting the 7. That way you get rid of 3 balls!! But why is it a power shot? Do you mean it takes a lot of power in the stroke to do this? Or power meaning really aggressive.
the bolded part is what i think of as a "power shot"

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
I really like this idea! Does anyone see anything wrong with this decision? I like this the most out of any idea I have seen on that shot. If the 10 is banked and goes in, then you can shoot the 3 next. If you get behind the 7 or end up rough position and you can't shoot the 7 and the 3, then you can knock the 15 or 14 away! HOW come Scott decided to shoot how he did? I think I know why. I think...ok so if he shot the cue ball 2 to 3 rails and avoid the scratch (the yellow line) he potentially leaves a shot on the 3. I think he tried (the purple line) to get it even more so on the short rail, so no shot is left on the 3. But he must have just made a small error and almost scratched. I know he was trying to leave the cue ball on the short rail. Well I will change that to, "I do believe so". Also if you follow the purple line, if the cue ball ends up near the pocket or on the short rail, you might be forced to shoot against the rail and the 3 ball will be hidden. I think more chances for cue ball to NOT be on the rail if you followed the purple path. More chances to give your opponent a chance to make either the 3 or give your opponent a chance to be able to cue the cue ball better than the purple line allowed. Am I way off? uh oh. lol.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
alex
first
a suggestion
if you break up your post
so its not one large paragraph it makes it easier to read
second
imo making the 10 as an off angle straight back is not easy so cue ball position would be to leave safe(like onepockethacker suggested) not play for the 7 next
third
to me leaving john doubled up on his 2 balls on the rail is the main objective of the intentional
yes if you leave him frozen to the short rail its better
so scotts approach of long rail/long rail /short rail is probably what he was trying to do
the trick is you cant let the cue ball bounce out too far on the short rail and let john see the 15
jmho

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
Hi,
thank you. Yes, my posting was difficult to read since it was one big paragraph. My punctuation and grammar and the structure of my sentences are usually infallible. Haha.
I hope this is better.
Ok great, thanks for the response. I think if I press, "quote", then it allows me to show exactly what I am responding to.

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
Can someone please post
a really enigmatic one pocket layout and ask what would you do?
I love to read everyone's thought process.
My mind is churning.
I LOVE one pocket.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Can someone please post
a really enigmatic one pocket layout and ask what would you do?
I love to read everyone's thought process.
My mind is churning.
I LOVE one pocket.

alex if you do a search of threads started by cowboy dennis or me you will find many wwyd archived to read thru
its not as easy as it looks to watch a dvd
find an interesting situation
stop frame it a few times to get the right pics
and diagram the results
we try to post wwyd as much as our time allows
p.s. your enthusiasm is invigorating....:D

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
alex if you do a search of threads started by cowboy dennis or me you will find many wwyd archived to read thru
its not as easy as it looks to watch a dvd
find an interesting situation
stop frame it a few times to get the right pics
and diagram the results
we try to post wwyd as much as our time allows
p.s. your enthusiasm is invigorating....:D

Ok, thank you very much. I am going through all the archives.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
This shot Screams Grady Matthews when the ball being shot/banked is in direct line with the pocket, dbl kiss is all over this shot.

Excuse me Bill, but I must object and interject. What is right is right. Where do you think Grady got the notion of how to detect a kiss on a bank? I have a file of Grady "confessions" that address that point, just for cases like this.

The same applies to the "Grady Rules" misnomer. I have those rules copyrighted and Grady asked me for permission to use them in his tournament.

Beard

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
Excuse me Bill, but I must object and interject. What is right is right. Where do you think Grady got the notion of how to detect a kiss on a bank? I have a file of Grady "confessions" that address that point, just for cases like this.

The same applies to the "Grady Rules" misnomer. I have those rules copyrighted and Grady asked me for permission to use them in his tournament.

Beard

I am definitely going to your banking website!!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

Beard

freddy
im glad you brought this up
for years i was confused about the "rule of when there is a kiss"
i had a few threads on it to try and clear up my confusion

your books have diagrams that if the cue ball and object ball are in a straight line to the center of the pocket
THERE IS NO KISS
grady said if the cue ball doesnt pass the object ball
THERE IS A KISS
:confused: CONFUSED FOR A LONG TIME
going back to gradys tapes he was referring to a crossing bank where you put
inside english on the cue ball
you were referring to a rolling /follow cue ball
going to the table
you were both right....:)
if he stole the inside english rule from you without credit
shame on him (r.i.p,)
freddy if my understanding is wrong please correct me
here or via pm

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Shooting over the ball sure makes the 15 tough. It also looks like you if you shoot it, you could scratch in Frost's pocket if you got just the wrong kind of carom off one of the balls at the bottom of the stack.

On the other hand, if you shoot the three-railer you better either make it or leave the cue ball up behind the balls because Scott potentially has several nice one bank shots if you leave too much air -- and of course if your cue ball goes too far you could totally sell out.

I might play the one-railer on the 11 instead -- playing cue ball priority -- with the intent of just opening balls up on my side.

That is the ONLY shot that a good one pocket player would shoot....It is a natural !..Nothing can possibly go wrong !..Good eye Steve ! ;)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
freddy
im glad you brought this up
for years i was confused about the "rule of when there is a kiss"
i had a few threads on it to try and clear up my confusion

your books have diagrams that if the cue ball and object ball are in a straight line to the center of the pocket
THERE IS NO KISS
grady said if the cue ball doesnt pass the object ball
THERE IS A KISS
:confused: CONFUSED FOR A LONG TIME
going back to gradys tapes he was referring to a crossing bank where you put
inside english on the cue ball
you were referring to a rolling /follow cue ball
going to the table
you were both right....:)
if he stole the inside english rule from you without credit
shame on him (r.i.p,)
freddy if my understanding is wrong please correct me
here or via pm

Grady never "stole" anything from me. Grady always gave me credit for my bank secrets, and how much my bank knowledge improved his own game. Grady and I were lifetime pals as well as fierce rivals. A lot of the confusion comes from people who unknowingly credited Grady with some of the things he actually got from me. This was probably due to the fact that Grady put out his instructional Video tapes many years before I put mine out.

As a matter of fact, in one of his videos he demonstrates a bank pool drill that I invented, whereby the object is to bank all 15 in a row legally, without a miss. He asked me for permission to use it in his video and he gave me credit for it in the video itself.

The so-called "Grady's Rules" in Onepocket, were rules he once used in one of his tournaments, after he asked me for permission to use them. They are actually from "The Beard's Speedo One Pocket Rules," that are copyrighted and available for view on my website, along with my Speedo Bank Pool Rules.

Beard

All this dialogue is not designed to take anything away from my old pal Grady, as he was one of pool's most knowledgeable players. He didnt need to steal any of my thunder, as he had plenty of his own.