From time to time I will....

mr3cushion

Verified Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
6,256
From time to time I will post some excerpts from my Book/DVD, "The Concise Book of Position Play."

Here is my, 'Authors Statement' on the subject.


Authorsstatement001.jpg


Author’s Statement


Set in My Ways
In the past, the masters of the game jealously guarded and hoarded their insights, experiences, tips, techniques and strategies of the game. This has sadly led to a decline of interest in a great artistic game. With 45 years’ experience, I have accumulated and gained insights into the game to which most players have never been exposed. Like my predecessors, I too resisted divulging the winning secrets I have accumulated.

With the advent of the information superhighway, the abundance of billiard information is overwhelming and often confusing to the novice and intermediate players that desire to improve their game.

Time to Let Go
After many years of personal contemplation of my life experiences, I have decided to share the essential techniques and knowledge to allow the average player an opportunity to elevate his game. This will bring satisfaction to aspiring players. I will share your joy as you discover your potential while overcoming the frustrations of a difficult game. We will experience increased enjoyment of the game as an ever increasing brotherhood of players grows.

It’s Always Been a Difficult Game
Since 1983, I have considered how I could provide a simple uncomplicated method of instruction to the eager player without the clutter of too many details. I have concentrated on the basic and logical methods that may apply to all cue games. These include the various strokes, aim, and physics, fundamental techniques, logical shot analysis and shot systems that I developed and acquired during my career.

Improvement is Eminent
Scoring is the goal of the game. The secret to scoring many is ball control and position play. Learning to control one ball will improve your ability to score another point by 25%, two balls under control improves your odds to 75%. Control off all three should lead to multiple point innings. This is a key principle of my book.

The Concise Approach
The instructional package is well-defined work with accurate diagrams and explanations that can be easily understood. The DVD provides additional reinforcement and clarity to the book. This video will audibly and visually demonstrate features of related subjects in the text to further enhance understanding of the material.

It is my belief that players will progress at a faster pace using the methods and techniques in this package. This will require structured and disciplined practice-not just hitting the balls around. This will also help to develop patience and focus in your game. The results will bring great satisfaction and reward!

One day you won’t be The Big Dog…You’ll be The Old Dog!
Instructing others and playing good billiards has brought great satisfaction to my life. Educating new players to be able to compete with the high level of billiards played overseas is one of my greatest ambitions. This work is intended to pass my legacy of this most difficult and beautiful game to a new generation of gifted and aspiring players who have been denied the knowledge and instruction to advance and improve. Take my work, build on it, improve it, share it, and rise to your potential. “Good shooting and play good billiards!”
 

mr3cushion

Verified Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
6,256
The Foundation basic fundamentals


The Importance of Proper Fundamentals

The world’s best players have it
I’m sure there will be those who’ll say, “why so much attention to the fundamentals in a book pertaining to position play”. It’s essential in every sport to have a standard of technique in order to pass on these skills to others. With a sound and complete understanding of these basics, and correct concept of the game, players can play a formidable game for many years to come. This is why the greatest player in the modern game, Raymond Ceulemans can still at age 70 plus continually averages over 1.40 in world competition. If any player of the last generation is quintessential in their fundamentals it is he.

Today’s generation master of the fundamentals is Frederic Caudron. His fluid stroke and tempo are attributes for every amateur to emulate. I, myself, have tried to pattern my game after these two men. Obviously, these are my humble opinions, but these Champions’ records speak for themselves.

The beginning section, “The Foundation basic fundamentals is really a prelude to understanding the proper concepts and techniques needed to execute the position shots throughout the remaining sections. This can be a fresh beginning for Newbie players as well as a check list for the more seasoned players when their game seems to be missing something. The problem can usually be traced back to a simple flaw in the player’s mechanics.

I’ve taught many students since 1987 and 98% of them I was able to help considerably, except for players that had time in the game and started with faulty fundamentals. They were simply not willing to go backwards a little to go forward a lot. Unfortunately, there were some players who were always on the brink of going to the next level (position play) but, because of inconsistency in their stroke; they were unable to achieve reproducible results. This is why sound fundamentals are so important. It lets the player have confidence in his natural abilities and not to over analyze each shot to the point that they lose their timing and tempo.

The Pre-Shot Routine

Doing it the same every time
Initially, the player should evaluate the current ball position and visualize the contemplated solution. Next, always use a consistent pre-shot routine. This allows the player to develop the stroke-rhythm; tempo and focus needed while simultaneously acquiring the shot alignment and target point for the cue ball. Photo1a.

TCBPPFundamentalsphotos00BW.jpg

While approaching the table, cue in hand, using warm-up strokes as you move towards the table, establish your stance and commit to the visualized shot. Photo1b.

TCBPPFundamentalsphotos01BW_edited-1.jpg
 
Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2017
Messages
1,849
mr3c, sent me his book, and the above fundamentals of the pre-shot routine, really got me thinking. I then realized that I am all over the place when it comes to this. Because of the above, I shored up my pre-shot routine and gained 20% in pocketing ability.

I see the shot before ever going down, I approach the same each time, bring the cue down on to the cue ball the same each time.
What really struck me was mr3c comment; "that developing a sound pre-shot routine builds confidence". I was on board now for sure. Thanks mr3c! Whitey
 

mr3cushion

Verified Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
6,256
The Stance

The correct approach to your shooting position at the table
Your table stance is essential to the preparation for a successful stroke. If your stance and body alignment are incorrect, all other aspects of the basic fundamentals will be affected: head, bridge hand, cue arm and elbow.

The correct placement of the head and body facing the target line
The player's forward foot should be parallel to the target line. The back foot should be positioned approximately 45 degrees to the table. This allows proper body alignment along the target line. Aligning yourself more closely along the target line allows the shooter to have a better shot perspective. The cue should be centered directly between both eyes, Photo2.

TCBPPFundamentalsphotos03_edited-1.jpg
Photo 2

The proper way to position your feet at the table
The player's weight should be equally distributed on both legs for a stable stance. This will eliminate leaning and instability. See Photos 3 & 4. You should feel comfortable before you attempt any stroke.

Photo 3
TCBPPFundamentalsphotos04_edited-1.jpg

Photo 4
TCBPPFundamentalsphotos23_edited-1.jpg
 
Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
6,256
The Bridge

The correct position of the bridge hand
The bridge is the foundation for the cue. If the bridge is not solid and secure, errors will occur in the stroke. A firm and stable bridge is required. Hand should be slightly curved back towards the body with elbow slightly bent with the palm resting on the table, Photo 5.

TCBPPFundamentalsphotos02_edited-1.jpg


The proper length bridge for most shots in 3 cushion billiards
Bridge length, the distance from the bridge hand to the cue ball, will vary from shot to shot. Depending on the distance desired and the stroke you employ the bridge length will generally be 8 to 10 inches, Photo 6.


Photo 5
This is the proper bridge in order to achieve the correct height on the cue ball, so that the cue is as level to the table as possible, you simply separate or pull your fingers together to get to the correct point on the cue ball you're trying to hit.

TCBPPFundamentalsphotos09_edited-1.jpg
Photo 6

When striking the cue ball along the equator (center line) using center, left or right hand spins, we will use a medium height, Photo 7.

TCBPPFundamentalsphotos12_edited-1.jpg

Photo 7

For the application of left or right hand English above the center line (follow English with left and right hand spins) you will raise your cue by drawing your fingers together, Photo 8.

TCBPPFundamentalsphotos11_edited-1.jpg

Photo 8

Draw shots are hit below the equator with either left, center or right hand spins. We lower the cue by spreading our fingers to lower the bridge, Photo 9.

TCBPPFundamentalsphotos13_edited-1.jpg
Photo 9
 
Top