Frederic Caudron vs Dick Jaspers

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
That was spell binding! I stopped the video on each shot and did wwyd. I was probably 70 -75% correct. Jasper would catch up then Caudron would put a 4 or 5 or 7 on him.
@ 1:05 - score 45/36 - I did not like the shot selection of Jasper's, which relinquished the table back.
@ 1L07 - score 47/36 - I did not like Caudron shot selection.
@ 1:15 Jasper's got lucky - but I figured that was a good payback for when Caudron got lucky. I would have not done that shot selection.
@ 1:17 Jasper misses a fairly easy 5 rail.

And I guess you get a chance to tie! So what happens when there is a tie?

There was some really great shots in this match, I wish I would of earmarked them so we could discuss them. thanks for the thread! Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
In case of a tie, each player shoots the break shot, whom ever makes the most points from the break, wins the match.
In a high caliber international tournament, let's say, that draws top players, is there ties, or is it rare. This puts much more meaning on the opening break shot and the following shots
I hope I get a review on my comments as it pertains not selecting the proper shot! I see Texas gave me a thumbs up, maybe that means he agrees that better shots were available. thanks, Whitey

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
That was spell binding! I stopped the video on each shot and did wwyd. I was probably 70 -75% correct. Jasper would catch up then Caudron would put a 4 or 5 or 7 on him.
@ 1:05 - score 45/36 - I did not like the shot selection of Jasper's, which relinquished the table back.
@ 1:15 Jasper's got lucky - but I figured that was a good payback for when Caudron got lucky. I would have not done that shot selection.

There was some really great shots in this match, I wish I would of earmarked them so we could discuss them. thanks for the thread! Whitey

Whitey; at, 1:05, I'm sure, Jaspers felt he couldn't make the 7 rail backup. If I'm seeing what he saw, I play a, '5 rail backup.'
At, 1:07, Caudron, absolutely shot the correct shot, he just hit a little too thin, he was playing position.
At 1:16, Jaspers missed a, 4 cushion position shot, it happens!

To your post #4. In 90% of events, this format is used.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO

Re: #1 - Jasper's often plays those up and down type shots off the outside of the ball (short, long, short) and is considered the best in the world at it. He must have felt the round the table shot had a kiss, there is never a kiss in the shot he chose.

#2 - I agree with Bill that it was the right shot, for Caudron.

#4 - it was a 4 railer and anytime you shoot away from the rail you're hitting first like he had to, it's not as easy as it looks when your trying to finesse the speed. It's easy to go long. But you're right that the players of this caliber should make it most of the time.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Re: #1 - Jasper's often plays those up and down type shots off the outside of the ball (short, long, short) and is considered the best in the world at it. He must have felt the round the table shot had a kiss, there is never a kiss in the shot he chose.

#2 - I agree with Bill that it was the right shot, for Caudron.

#4 - it was a 4 railer and anytime you shoot away from the rail you're hitting first like he had to, it's not as easy as it looks when your trying to finesse the speed. It's easy to go long. But you're right that the players of this caliber should make it most of the time.
On # 4 I felt he should of gone straight at the ob, by doing it this way then if he comes up short he then doubles out of the corner for the billiard. I talked to mr3c and he has the same conclusion as you. Where I fail at is not knowing that they are also playing position for the next shot, as mr3c pointed out in our discussion.

But, I would stop it before each shot and figure out what I would do. Sometimes I would have 2,3 or even 4 different shots, Caudron at times completely surprised me with a whole other shot selection, of course he was right, and made the point.

I asked mr3c about Jasper, in that he must be ranked very high for he played very well, he said at the time he was #2. Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
mr3c & 12squared,
I just got done watching Bomdahl instructional video, and in it there are somewhat similar shots as Jasper's shot @ 1:17, in which the red is positioned similar and is a big ball.
After watching his videos, I do not see how I am wrong in playing directly at the red for it is a big ball vs. coming off the end rail which now does not make it a big ball, for Bomdahl plays directly into the red ball.
Plus in playing position, in coming at the red ball then that keeps it as still being a big ball after the billiard. With the next billiard being not to concerning as to the ob position for most likely you could play off of it from most anywhere with the red ball remaining as a big ball.

So forgive my ignorance, but I still do not agree that Jasper played the right shot, for if the billiard was made it still somewhat diminishes the red ball as being a big ball, for the next follow up shot. thanks, Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
My friend Whitey.

First off, I never mentioned anything about right or wrong shot, I just corrected you mentioning Jasper's played a 5 railer as it was a 4 railer and that those shots are harder to judge hitting it softly.

Now back to the story: Blomdahl did not play that shot straight to the red ball, he played it short to make it a bigger ball so it could make off the long rail or back up if he hit it a little longer. In my opinion be aiming to make the billiard 3 rails straight on the red ball would make it a little smaller. If you hit it a little short it would backup out of the corner and miss the same if you hit it a little long it would go throught the hole.

In addition, there's never a kiss the way Jasper's played it where as if you don't get the proper hit on the white ball, there is a kiss possibility as Blomdahl pointed out.

Funny story since we're on the topic of Jasper's shot selection - I think Blomdahl once said that Jasper's would be the best in the world if he selected the right shots. LOL

To each their own.
Dave

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
My friend Whitey.

First off, I never mentioned anything about right or wrong shot, I just corrected you mentioning Jasper's played a 5 railer as it was a 4 railer and that those shots are harder to judge hitting it softly.

Now back to the story: Blumdahl did not play that shot straight to the red ball, he played it short to make it a bigger ball so it could make off the long rail or back up if he hit it a little longer. In my opinion be aiming to make the billiard 3 rails straight on the red ball would make it a little smaller. If you hit it a little short it would backup out of the corner and miss the same if you hit it a little long it would go throught the hole.

In addition, there's never a kiss the way Jasper's played it where as if you don't get the proper hit on the white ball, there is a kiss possibility as Blumdahl pointed out.

Funny story since we're on the topic o Jasper's shit selection - I think Blumdahl once said that Jasper's would be the best in the world if he selected the right shots. LOL

To each their own.
Dave
I'll have to review Bomdahl shots again, there are more than one where there is a big ball. In my initial comment I stated if you come short is gives you a chance to double back out and get the billiard.
You would hit it thicker by going 3 rails, and for me not being experience it is hard to visualize the kiss. Some kisses I guess are hard to manipulate to get out of them, even though there is so much room to work with. Thanks for the info. I'll review some more.
I appreciate the discussion! Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I'll have to review Bomdahl shots again, there are more than one where there is a big ball. In my initial comment I stated if you come short is gives you a chance to double back out and get the billiard.
You would hit it thicker by going 3 rails, and for me not being experience it is hard to visualize the kiss. Some kisses I guess are hard to manipulate to get out of them, even though there is so much room to work with. Thanks for the info. I'll review some more.
I appreciate the discussion! Whitey
I just change my spelling of Blomdahl 🤫