freddys new book

champagne

Verified Member
I'm reading the encyclopedia of pool hustlers a darkgood gritty and sometimes charming look at pool life.from where it began, the torture chambers of the past to the pool palaces and arenas of today .It wakes people up to how tough the road really was.you had to beat the hotel,youhad to beat the restaurants,the gas station and all of that was before you broke the balls or turned a card.if you played pool or cards,it didn't come easy.most of the time you had to go into the lions mouth to feed and care for you and your family.I just want to say that you and you staff did a great job,freddy

your friend

Champagne Sammy

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I'm reading the encyclopedia of pool hustlers a darkgood gritty and sometimes charming look at pool life.from where it began, the torture chambers of the past to the pool palaces and arenas of today .It wakes people up to how tough the road really was.you had to beat the hotel,youhad to beat the restaurants,the gas station and all of that was before you broke the balls or turned a card.if you played pool or cards,it didn't come easy.most of the time you had to go into the lions mouth to feed and care for you and your family.I just want to say that you and you staff did a great job,freddy

your friend

Champagne Sammy

Thanks Sammy. I probably couldnt have done it without George Fels' astute edits. George has a phenomenal memory for dates, places and correct spellings of even obscure players names.

George edited all 386 pages three different times! Now that is a real Bensinger Boy for you!

Beard

Sammy is a charter SS member and is also a featured character in my book.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Freddy's Book

Freddy's Book

Freddy all I can is the book is outstanding. A couple of the Chicago Guys lived in Baltimore too. Paul Jones and Bugs. Many Great players also lived in Baltimore,Eddie Kelly,Larry Liscotti,Mike Seigal,Geese and many more.Strawberry was always in action too.Thanks for bringing back great memories.The Book is well written and will be your greatest achievement.I can see 50 years from now Pool Players will read your book and wish they could of been around in the good old days. TERRIFIC

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Freddy; Received my copy of the book today, I haven't put it down yet.
It's really hard to express the flood of emotions from just reviewing through the pages. So many gone from the "old" days," it's really hard to believe.

I hope everyone appreciates all the hard work that's gone into your effort to preserve an era in our sport that can never be again, simply because of the characters between the covers of your work. And of coarse, you being one of the biggest!

Freddy, When I was 18 you were a one of the many helping hands that formulated most of the solid fundamentals in my game that are required to compete at a high level for 50 years, for this I can never repay you, except by simply saying, "Thanks buddy!"

"Amphibian"

Last edited:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Freddie,

I got my book yesterday and I'm deep into reading it. I notice from my bank statement that you have cashed the check so we're all square. I'm thrilled to be immortalized by your credits. This is a huge accomplishment for you and I hope you get a movie deal out of it.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Great book

Great book

got freddys book and its hard to put down:)
ive really enjoyed all the stories and all the pictures of the players
seeing some of the players out of the pool room put a nice personal touch to them
i didnt expect a section on one handed hustlers but its in the book
dennis has mentioned little miami several times and he gets his due and pictures too
all in all excellently written and presented
great job freddy
cant wait for the hard copy
:)
larry

JAM

Verified Member
Keith is not much of a reader, but when I received Freddy's limited edition book, he saw me reading it and asked what it was all about.

So I left the book on Keith's computer desk in the den, where he plays poker and bets on sports stuff.

A few days later, Keith came up to me and said, "Man, that's a really cool book that Freddy wrote. I know almost every single person in it too."

Then I asked him, "Well, did you see the references he made about you?"

In typical Keith fashion, he replied, "Of course. I read each and every one of them. Those were the first pages I read." :lol

Well done, Freddy. :)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Keith is not much of a reader, but when I received Freddy's limited edition book, he saw me reading it and asked what it was all about.

So I left the book on Keith's computer desk in the den, where he plays poker and bets on sports stuff.

A few days later, Keith came up to me and said, "Man, that's a really cool book that Freddy wrote. I know almost every single person in it too."

Then I asked him, "Well, did you see the references he made about you?"

In typical Keith fashion, he replied, "Of course. I read each and every one of them. Those were the first pages I read." :lol

Well done, Freddy. :)

Thanks Jammy, I was hoping you and Keith would be pleased.

Beard

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Fred's new book

Fred's new book

Great read, very hard to put down... and you were right, getting the larger color version is great...

Bille

JAM

Verified Member
Thanks Jammy, I was hoping you and Keith would be pleased.

Beard

Hey, Freddy, I just ordered one via Amazon to go to Tony Chohan. The only way he can receive a book or any printed matter is if it comes via Amazon -- at least that's the way I understand it. I know he's going to enjoy it. :cool:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Hey, Freddy, I just ordered one via Amazon to go to Tony Chohan. The only way he can receive a book or any printed matter is if it comes via Amazon -- at least that's the way I understand it. I know he's going to enjoy it. :cool:

Thats great Jammy. I just wish I could of personalized it to Tony, but then coming from me he couldnt of gotten it due to prison regs.

Beard

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Freddie, please explain to me how giving your opponent scratches don't count can be an advantage to you as in the Chino story.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Fred, I spoke with Artie, and he said that most of the stories were actually true... Just Kidding!:D Anyway, I've put the 8.5 X 11" edition on my wish list for my family for my upcoming birthday. Looking forward to it.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Freddie, please explain to me how giving your opponent scratches don't count can be an advantage to you as in the Chino story.

Aha Petie, that is a Secret Society secret! That could only be divulged to you in person the next time you are in Chicago.

(Bottom line it is a big spot to a player, but it is no wheres near the amount of spot as most people think that it is. Its an old hustlers trick game from the 30s and 40s.)

Beard

With Chino I only came out ahead 20 to 25 games!

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Fred, I spoke with Artie, and he said that most of the stories were actually true... Just Kidding!:D Anyway, I've put the 8.5 X 11" edition on my wish list for my family for my upcoming birthday. Looking forward to it.

Doc

That's great Doc, because everybody knows that moving you is like moving concrete!:lol

Beard