Finding old rivals

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Loved that table! We played pay ball on it quite a lot, Grady, Jimmie Reid, Jack Cooney, me and some others. Keith McCready wanted to play, but I think he was only 13 or 14 at the time!!
Gotta go to work back later

By the late 60's I was a working at Triple A and raising three sons. I still made it down to The Billiard Palace in Bellflower and played a little golf and liability snooker with the other working stiffs - Tweedy, Jimmy Van, Tex, Straight Shooting Gil, and many others.

Tried some pay ball a time or two with the big boys but couldn't win and could not afford it. Jimmy Reed was Hippy Jimmy then, with long hair and would play barefoot. I could win against the guys with jobs but was up against it with the big boys. The pay ball game finally ended up out front on the 5 x 10 and it was always full of champions and they bet too high for me.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Nice to....

Nice to....

.....hear your stories Jeff.I swear someone sent you here to take Freddies place.He had the lowdown on all the action back in the good old bad days when men were men,women were women and children worked in factories.Been a player from California to Kathmandu and the stories are where its at these days if your over 60-70 and want to play it again.Welcome and pull up a chair,James

Last edited:

TWO PICKS

Verified Member
Jeff you and Rodney knew Blinky ( Dale Sutton) well. Blinky was a good friend of mine. He knew a lot of great players. He said the best of them all was a Mexician player called Miette. Don't know if this is spelled right. Did you every see him play?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Jeff you and Rodney knew Blinky ( Dale Sutton) well. Blinky was a good friend of mine. He knew a lot of great players. He said the best of them all was a Mexician player called Miette. Don't know if this is spelled right. Did you every see him play?

Muette was the best I saw.
Rod.
P.S. You said WAS, has Blinky passed ?

bstroud

Verified Member
Before Efferin showed up at Reds, Siegle told me he had played Muette for three days and broke even. He also said Muette was the best 9 ball player he had ever played.

Bill S.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I watched him play Ronnie Allen at Playmores in San Antonio in 1961. I remember he was called Muyette,
pronounced Moo-yet-tee. Burnin hell on a 4x8!!!

Last edited:

TWO PICKS

Verified Member
Rodney, Blinky was coming to Bananas about every two weeks, however I have not seen him lately. I have not seen him in the obituaries. I believe he was around 86. I met him around 1967, As a real weak shortstop, I was playing in the bars. Every time I ran into a player that could draw his ball, I would look around and see this guy blinking. No matter which bar I would go to he would should up in about a hour. When I met you Rodney, Blinky was with you. After awhile I left his players alone. Years later I asked him how he always found me and he laughed and said suckers can't hide. If I hear from him I will let you know.

TWO PICKS

Verified Member
Jeff,

Your late pal in San Antonio was Rick Hinds. Before he passed he did some photo work for me. He loved this. He talked often about you.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Rodney, Blinky was coming to Bananas about every two weeks, however I have not seen him lately. I have not seen him in the obituaries. I believe he was around 86. I met him around 1967, As a real weak shortstop, I was playing in the bars. Every time I ran into a player that could draw his ball, I would look around and see this guy blinking. No matter which bar I would go to he would should up in about a hour. When I met you Rodney, Blinky was with you. After awhile I left his players alone. Years later I asked him how he always found me and he laughed and said suckers can't hide. If I hear from him I will let you know.
That's a nice story!! Boy, Blinky sure did like to be around the poolrooms and bars, and almost always with a player in tow!! If you see him please say hello for me. Thank you Doyle

TWO PICKS

Verified Member
It was only photos of medical equipment, long gone, twenty-five years ago.