Filler/ Chohan May 12-13th

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I'm pretty sure Joe was saying that when a player comes into some money, his creditors start appearing, wanting to get paid. icbw :oops:

beatle

Verified Member
when people have asked me to stake them i tell the plainly that-- if you cant win with your own money your arent going to get to play with mine.
i dont ever think ive ever given a free roll to anybody.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Darmoose has commented that Efren, in his heyday, could have tested Filler. Just for fun, let's go back less than a year, when Bata beat Billy Thorpe in West Monroe. Thorpe is a super shot-maker and a former one-pocket champion at the DCC. I'm not suggesting that Efren might beat Filler, but if they matched up, by the time it was over we would know a lot more about the little German. It would be worth seeing. Efren would leave him in places he's never been before - anyplace but Roy's. Just thinking . . .

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
The game I'd love to see is Efren against the kid on the Big Foot in the Bata room in Berlin. Tough pockets on that table. It would be a fantastic examination of Filler's shot making under pressure. My guess is that Efren would tie him up in knots, but the outcome would ultimately depend on Efren's shot making, which ain't what it used to be.

Darmoose has commented that Efren, in his heyday, could have tested Filler. Just for fun, let's go back less than a year, when Bata beat Billy Thorpe in West Monroe. Thorpe is a super shot-maker and a former one-pocket champion at the DCC. I'm not suggesting that Efren might beat Filler, but if they matched up, by the time it was over we would know a lot more about the little German. It would be worth seeing. Efren would leave him in places he's never been before - anyplace but Roy's. Just thinking . . .

dr. B

Young Filler should be regarded as a novice in 1p in respect to all the champs metioned in the thread.
I feel he would pick up 1p moves faster then other player can pickup his ball pocketing skills. If Filler
As he mentioned in the post match interview sets his sights on becoming the best 1p player, already
Got him self a coach. He might just pickup alot during his stay back home and show up in the US in a few months
Playing a stronger tactical game.

My 2 cents for what its worth

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Nothing against The Magician, he was the best, but he’s slipped, as all do with age... He ain’t completely past it, but he can’t hold up against this kid, or any of the top 5 today... He shouldn’t have to... He held a place at the very top of the food chain for what? 30 years? Maybe a pinch longer... Whew, that’s quite a run, unbelievable really... But as you said, it would be an absolutely great match to watch, I’d buy it... one things for sure, Efren would not just roll over, he’d make a game of it! And who knows really, he might just find the fountain of youth and have an extended flashback... Good thoughts Vapros, I’m with ya, let’s hope some millionaire stakes Efren and we get to sweat it, cause Bata ain’t bettin his own against this kid...

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I do not know of OP being a Phillipino game during the era of Efren was playing there prior to coming to USA. Correct if I am wrong. But I believe I am correct in that Efren won in OP when he first came over here. Correct me on any of this for I like to know history. I recall Dr. Bill playing him earlier on, and again correct me if I am wrong.
But to the main point I see no resemblance of Filler processing Efren stroke. The finesse of Efren's stroke is something to behold. As Dalton put it; " Efren is one hard guy to trap, he gets out of more traps." There are OP players and there are rotation players, what's Filler stroke tell you he is?

I watched the Filler vs. Immonen 2020 OP match, and I see no resemblance to Efren! I'll watch more of his DCC matches to form more knowledge of how he compares to Efren, but I did not see any resemblance of Efren's stroke in the free for all with Tony. I surely can not base him being an Efren from that match. Whitey

Last edited:

unoperro

Verified Member
I do not know of OP being a Phillipino game during the era of Efren was playing there prior to coming to USA. Correct if I am wrong. But I believe I am correct in that Efren won in OP when he first came over here. Correct me on any of this for I like to know history. I recall Dr. Bill playing him earlier on, and again correct me if I am wrong.
But to the main point I see no resemblance of Filler processing Efren stroke. The finesse of Efren's stroke is something to behold. As Dalton put it; " Efren is one hard guy to trap, he gets out of more traps." There are OP players and there are rotation players, what's Filler stroke tell you he is?

I watched the Filler vs. Immonen 2020 OP match, and I see no resemblance to Efren! I'll watch more of his DCC matches to form more knowledge of how he compares to Efren, but I did not see any resemblance of Efren's stroke in the free for all with Tony. I surely can not base him being an Efren from that match. Whitey
Keep in mind the game has changed in the 30 years since Efren first came here.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Keep in mind the game has changed in the 30 years since Efren first came here.
The only real change I see is on the break if you make one, you re-break. Or are you saying Filler a rotation player would beat Efren, I have to laugh! I needed that laugh to make my day! I am just appalled that any one would even mention Filler in the same breath as the great OP Efren.

You can compare Filler with any of these other young hot rotation players playing OP. Thorpe for instance, won the 2020 DCC OP, but not Efren when it comes to OP. Efren is a different animal. Whitey

unoperro

Verified Member
The only real change I see is on the break if you make one, you re-break. Or are you saying Filler a rotation player would beat Efren, I have to laugh! I needed that laugh to make my day! I am just appalled that any one would even mention Filler in the same breath as the great OP Efren.

You can compare Filler with any of these other young hot rotation players playing OP. Thorpe for instance, won the 2020 DCC OP, but not Efren when it comes to OP. Efren is a different animal. Whitey

I am glad you had a good laugh !

Sorry to rain on your parade but perhaps your reading comprehension is not as good as your banking skills.

Where did I say,or even imply,that Filler beats Efren ?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
According to our man Fred Benivegna, he was Efren's first influence and teacher of 1P. Efren even wrote Fred a note thanking him for being his 1P teacher. Of course Reyes was going to learn and excel at the game no matter what.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I had/have to roll my eyes when viewing the chat during this match, and reading the azbilliard threads, where all of these guys, re. Filler are amazed that he moves good, and saying "WOW! for a guy who has only been playing One Pocket for a year his game is surprisingly good"...and they think he just learned the game in Roy's basement over the last 4 months...:sneaky:...

...uh, excuse me, but he's been playing 2-1/2 years now, not 1 year - he played in the DCC One Pocket division in 2018, 2019, and 2020 - and finishing in 6th place in 2020...doesn't surprise me one bit that he's already playing at this high level...and his moving is underrated - he moves good - only got a little bit left to learn.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
...uh, excuse me, but he's been playing 2-1/2 years now, not 1 year - he played in the DCC One Pocket division in 2018, 2019, and 2020 - and finishing in 6th place in 2020...doesn't surprise me one bit that he's already playing at this high level...and his moving is underrated - he moves good - only got a little bit left to learn.

Seriously, I think this is a very sound opinion.
Watching Filler against Tony; he had no fear. Sure he knew the table, but Tony had plenty of time to get the same gauge.
Filler didn't play on a tight or loose table - he played the center of the pocket on 99% of his shots 'cause he didn't have to 'play' the pocket on most shots.
He banked solid (hard) on many shots because he fully expected to pot them - and played the CB at those speeds - meaning either make it or acceptable leave (for the most part - he played smart). They played 21 games the first day (albeit somewhat fast) and then Filler still had to hold his lead on day 2.

He didn't sell out on most of his banks even though he was firing many of them in.
He played out of the stack very well, he played combo's very well. He pocketed balls as well as anyone I've seen in a long time.
Filler had a veneer of solid confidence most of the time. He approached the table quickly and, for the most part was able to choose his shot very quickly to consistently good effect.

I don't know Tony, but I've been around him and I like him. I've seen him play some; awesome and amazing!
I've never been around Josh, but his demeanor, which to me does not come across as arrogant, but confident and imitable, is likeable as well.
Tony almost seems to come across as arrogant, but I think it's not that. It's more private and controlled - he seems a genuine fellow.

Josh plays cluster shots with alacrity, he's quick to gauge and despite what anyone might say; could not pot balls like he does unless that stroke was pure velvet smooth - even if it doesn't sometimes look so.

What my untrained eyes could see is that it's way too early to start comparing him to Efren, but damned if he isn't the real thing.
And what Bruce stated seems to be spot on; "only got a little bit left to learn".

Trying to give Filler his due here, and not contradicting my earlier agreement (with some) that Tony might have changed his strategy and been more competitive.

El Chapo

Verified Member
I had/have to roll my eyes when viewing the chat during this match, and reading the azbilliard threads, where all of these guys, re. Filler are amazed that he moves good, and saying "WOW! for a guy who has only been playing One Pocket for a year his game is surprisingly good"...and they think he just learned the game in Roy's basement over the last 4 months...:sneaky:...

What on earth does that mean? You mean he started playing 2.5 years ago, right?

I don't have an ankle bracelet on the guy of course, but I would hazard a guess he has not spent every day of thise 2.5 years playing one pocket.

Anyway, on this "players emphasize knowledge" (when in actuality firepower is all that matters) topic that I brought up, you are probably the poster boy for the movement.