Fight Night 009 Danny Smith vs Josh Roberts

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
Danny Smith has been on fire with wins over Darren Appleton and Jeremy Jones
Josh Roberts is a proven big money action player 10153882_818832678131057_2127695877_n (2) 11.jpg
this will be a full production fight night title bout with pro commentary more details will be posted soon

Last edited:

Bigtruck

Verified Member
Thanks Terry Hanna, I don't know how you do it but I love it. Terry Hanna, Secretary of Pool Information.

Here is a little write up I did for the AZ post:

Josh Roberts has been red hot in 2014 staying in action much of the year. He won the BIG money One Pocket event in Des Moines produced by Scott Frost and places 3rd behind Efren Reyes and Francisco Bustamante in Poplar Bluff for the 6k entry One Pocket event.

Danny Smith has been in non-stop action as well with wins over several of the country's action men including Joey Gray, Darren Appleton and Jeremy Jones.

Many think that this will be Danny's greatest test. We will soon find out.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Fight Night 009 Danny Smith vs Josh Roberts

I'll take a small sweat bet on Josh if anyone wants Danny. 50 say...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
To split hairs: it's not $20K to the winner. Each guy is putting up $10K, so when he wins, he's winning the other guy's $10K. So it's $10K to the winner. Put another way, they're playing for $10K.

I do like the look of the poster though. Very nice design.

~Doc

Bigtruck

Verified Member
To split hairs: it's not $20K to the winner. Each guy is putting up $10K, so when he wins, he's winning the other guy's $10K. So it's $10K to the winner. Put another way, they're playing for $10K.

~Doc

If 16 players play in a tournament for $100 entry with 1000 added - is it a $2500 tournament? No it's a $2600 tournament. All entry fees count. Flyer is correct. 2 man tournament, 10k entry, 20k prize fund.

Ray

ps. since it's all outlined ON the flyer. There is no hair to split. :D

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Yes, the wordage in the poster used in post #2 is less deceptive. But the poster used in post #1 says "20K to the winner". But it's only 10K to the winner. The guy who wins gets the other guy's 10K.

If I play in a 10 man tournament, winner take all for $100 entry, and I win it, I win $900, not $1000, because I'm contributing my own $100 entry. If I'm playing a guy for $50 a game, I can't say "we're playing for $100 a game" simply because what we each have at stake is $50. If I wanted it to sound more impressive, I guess I could say that we have $100 "in the middle" for each game.

It may be that in some locales, a gambling match --such as Fight Night-- couldn't be advertised due to State or local laws, whereas a "tournament" could, so the "tournament" verbiage is used. Of course 20K sounds more attractive than 10K. And there's very little question that the average fan realizes that the two participants are playing to win 10K.

~Doc

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Yes, the wordage in the poster used in post #2 is less deceptive. But the poster used in post #1 says "20K to the winner". But it's only 10K to the winner. The guy who wins gets the other guy's 10K.

If I play in a 10 man tournament, winner take all for $100 entry, and I win it, I win $900, not $1000, because I'm contributing my own $100 entry. If I'm playing a guy for $50 a game, I can't say "we're playing for $100 a game" simply because what we each have at stake is $50. If I wanted it to sound more impressive, I guess I could say that we have $100 "in the middle" for each game.

It may be that in some locales, a gambling match --such as Fight Night-- couldn't be advertised due to State or local laws, whereas a "tournament" could, so the "tournament" verbiage is used. Of course 20K sounds more attractive than 10K. And there's very little question that the average fan realizes that the two participants are playing to win 10K.

~Doc

They have been doing that for years and it's the same as $10,000 winner take all.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

~Doc

doc
not to split hairs.....:D
but at the end of the match
it is $20,000 TO THE WINNER
the $10,000 he put in AND the $10,000 he won
so yes the winner won $10,000
regardless of the semantics
thanks ray for putting these events on
and good luck to both guys
(i guess i have to root alittle for josh since steve. is betting on him..:D)

Bigtruck

Verified Member
They have been doing that for years and it's the same as $10,000 winner take all.

The prize fund is a total of all entries plus added money.

So who do y'all think is gonna win?

Ray

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
If 16 players play in a tournament for $100 entry with 1000 added - is it a $2500 tournament? No it's a $2600 tournament. All entry fees count. Flyer is correct. 2 man tournament, 10k entry, 20k prize fund.

Ray

ps. since it's all outlined ON the flyer. There is no hair to split. :D

I have a couple of hairs to split. :rolleyes:

When there are only two participants in a contest, calling it a tournament is a stretch;

If the same two people play for the same amount of money, but don't post, it's only $10,000 to the winner.

I agree with Doc that anyone who reads carefully is unlikely to be confused.

Bigtruck

Verified Member
Don't you have to pay yourself back the $10K you lost?

That makes it $40K! :heh

I think Danny can win this match if he stays to a game plan. He likes to get a little crazy when he gets up in the match.

Josh is simply steady. He makes good decisions and maybe practices and studies the game second only to SVB.

This match will certainly keep us on the edge of our seats.

Ray

(if sponsors put the players in a tournament, Is it now gambling?):D

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
(if sponsors put the players in a tournament, Is it now gambling?)

Good point.

I think several courts have ruled that wagering on your own skill is not "gambling."

(I like Josh, but I've only seen each of them play "live" once, and Danny's recent success ......... )