Extreme OP Twist Banks!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HntMyKMt6FpPVkon8 I just re-did the video! click on video for sound & box to enlarge.
The balls are 3/16" off the side rail. I wanted to stroke it just a little lower so that the cb would just come off the rail enough for the 3 to pass, plus this would of better represent the cb spinning like a top. But my camera quite filming.

I've been holding off in posting this bank for it pretty much culminates the series on Grady's twist bank, of which I wanted to add an extra twist to. I can not express enough just how important it is to have a relax stroke on this twist back bank, for it gives the action necessary to twist it. I used a measle ball so I could better represent the cb spinning. But if you get the cb to spin like a top, and I mean like a top, then you have stroked it well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9mBkkPsTEL1n7Hhn6 The 3 ball is frozen to the side rail. Note the position of the balls so the aiming point depicted is relevant. I am on approx. 30 degree angle and 3 ball is frozen just before the 2nd. diamond. Center ball stroke gives the best twist action, using tips of reverse english does no good at all.

I've been wanting to post this bank for a long time and now seems appropriate since we are doing a series on twist back banks.
I promoted a tournament in my home town and Henry & Ronnie A. would show up. I introduced Ronnie to a couple that showed up to sweat. I introduced him to the couple as the real life 'Fast Eddie' from the movie 'The Hustler', they said; "NO!". But later on I seen Ronnie set up this twist back bank, but he had it on a much slighter angle so he could follow it to the head cushion and off so to give him enough angle to cut a ball in that he had set up frozen to the foot cushion @ about a 1/2 diamond from his pocket, representing an ultimate OP shot. He made it no problem, and I walked up to the couple and I said; "now do you believe he is the real 'Fast Eddie", and they nodded yes! Ronnie was all smiles. Enjoy Whitey

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Nice shots, Whitey. Try as I might I cannot make that "Grady twist-back bank" on my Diamond Pro Am. I'd be curious if there's anyone on the site who made that shot on a modern Diamond table. I can make the shorter version you demonstrated awhile back, but not the other one.

~Doc

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Nice shots, Whitey. Try as I might I cannot make that "Grady twist-back bank" on my Diamond Pro Am. I'd be curious if there's anyone on the site who made that shot on a modern Diamond table. I can make the shorter version you demonstrated awhile back, but not the other one.

~Doc

Don't feel alone, there probably are a bunch of members out there struggling with these banks, but do not speak up or at least participate, I thank you for that!

But, I was under the thought that Diamonds take reverse quite well, anyone correct me if I am wrong. But just stroke the ob from its position into the head cushion close to the pocket with some reverse and see how your rails react!

In all of these twist back banks I have always exemplified the importance of a relaxed stroke, and I wholeheartily believe this through the experience of working with these twist backs. If I tense up, man does it kill the action.

I make these shots look easy but they are not. There is a sweet spot of course to contact the ob, but beyond that the stroke is so important. I had a couple of Jacks on the Rocks the other day and came home and my god my stroke was so fluid that these twist back banks were actually easy.

The bank with the added twist whereas the 3 first skims off the side rail, I am not kidding when the cb spins literally like a top then you have stroked it well.
Other than that pay special attention to the english applied and level of the cue that I depict in each bank.

Possibly this might work if you first try working up to it, such as have the ob off the rail 1/2" and the cue ball positioned on a slight favorable conducive angle to naturally twist. Experiment with the stroke, angle of the cue, and the applied english, which you probably have already. I know I did, and at times to exhaustion.

But in all your attempts take note of when you notice that the ob really twists and work with that stroke that produced that ungodly twist!

Good luck, and thanks for your input and for working through these banks! Whitey

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Don't feel alone, there probably are a bunch of members out there struggling with these banks, but do not speak up or at least participate, I thank you for that!

But, I was under the thought that Diamonds take reverse quite well, anyone correct me if I am wrong. But just stroke the ob from its position into the head cushion close to the pocket with some reverse and see how your rails react!

In all of these twist back banks I have always exemplified the importance of a relaxed stroke, and I wholeheartily believe this through the experience of working with these twist backs. If I tense up, man does it kill the action.

I make these shots look easy but they are not. There is a sweet spot of course to contact the ob, but beyond that the stroke is so important. I had a couple of Jacks on the Rocks the other day and came home and my god my stroke was so fluid that these twist back banks were actually easy.

The bank with the added twist whereas the 3 first skims off the side rail, I am not kidding when the cb spins literally like a top then you have stroked it well.
Other than that pay special attention to the english applied and level of the cue that I depict in each bank.

Possibly this might work if you first try working up to it, such as have the ob off the rail 1/2" and the cue ball positioned on a slight favorable conducive angle to naturally twist. Experiment with the stroke, angle of the cue, and the applied english, which you probably have already. I know I did, and at times to exhaustion.

But in all your attempts take note of when you notice that the ob really twists and work with that stroke that produced that ungodly twist!

Good luck, and thanks for your input and for working through these banks! Whitey

whitey
thanks for posting all these great banks
you make it all look so easy....:)

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Whitey, Howdy;

I'll agree with Larry, you do make it look easy.
I got my work cut out that's for sure...

Truly appreciate the detail you give to help us.

Thanks Whitey.

hank

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Update: I went back to the table last night, and was able to make the shot. I even made it twice in a row, then missed, then made it again. I think when missing it, I was shooting the OB too wide. It seems most successful when banking it within a ball or a ball and a half's width from the head point. And you're right about the CB spin: if the CB doesn't end up spinning like a top, then the shot probably wasn't successful. With practice, this can be a good addition to a guy's arsenal.

Also, I wondered the same thing about the tendency of Diamond rails banking short-- that it ought to be a help. The only thing I can guess about that is that they don't take spin as well as do GCs and others. I'd have to think about that. It could be that the shot is easier than I initially thought. Cheers.

~Doc

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Doc, that breaking news made my day, congratulations!!! That is perseverance, and overcoming the frustration, way to stick with it!

I want to thank; Doc, Cooler, Hank, Is. Drive, Mkbtank, & Steve for their comments and adding to these twist back bank threads. I counted 11 videos that I did, & two by Cole & one by Grady. I had to redo the twist bank (post 1) that first contacts the side rail and now it better exemplifies the cb spinning.

A special thanks to Steve for the foresight to have a bank forum.

Thanks again! Whitey

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Whitey, I think it's nice of you to take the time to make the videos that you post. Nothing like someone showing a shot in real time.

I'm glad that the Bank Pool forum keeps on ticking. I was afraid that it wouldn't continue to keep up the interest after Freddie passed. 'Preciate the guys that keep 'er going.

~Doc