enigmatic layout for alex

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
I am still really bad at this.
I am trying to get a "one pocket mindset".
Is it way out of the question to come off the rail, past the 8, and try to hit the 5 ball away ? Or is this stupid because you might scratch?

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
Maybe shoot at the 9 ball softly and leave the cue ball behind the stack. Oh...What if you hit into the 8 ball...the 8 ball heads towards my pocket caroming off the 5 ball, and the 5 ball hits the short rail and heads a bit up table and cue ball near short rail with no shot for opponent.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Tough spot !
Try to rearrange the furniture and leave the CB long. :)
Rod.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
Double Ticky

Double Ticky

I would kick rail first under the 8, then have the cue ball go rail then into the 5. Hopefully kicking both away slightly and leave them near their pocket.

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
I would do like Rod said by hitting the 8 into the rail side of the 5 ball, stopping the cue ball right there. Letting the 8 go back across to my pocket and the five clearing out. That's how I hope it would turn out anyway. lol--Smitty

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I would kick rail first under the 8, then have the cue ball go rail then into the 5. Hopefully kicking both away slightly and leave them near their pocket.

I like the double ticky. Hit firmly, the eight takes out the six ball and you move all three balls over. It is a bold shot and I would only shoot it on a tight table. There is a possibility of a scratch or the cue ball hanging up in the pocket and you leave a bank, but you are in a bad spot here and need to get aggressive.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I like the side rail kick into the 8 too, but I would also have to take a hard look at the combination on the 2-ball -- it looks like it has a pretty good angle to go right into my pocket.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
If the 15 2 ball combo goes in Alex's pocket im shooting it. The safes are all tricky with most of them being possible scratches or sellouts.

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
No way would I take a foul if the 15-2 goes in or if I could come off the rail to hit the 8 and also knock the 5 away to play defense. Why would you take a foul? You can be aggressive here and make a ball or at least try to knock balls away from your opponent. I don't think a foul is the right choice here. But I honestly just started one pocket.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Great point to note Alex. I think that ppl are too hesitant to take a foul in general. You are in a Very tough spot. Lots of ways to sell out, and in with all those balls down table, a sellout will hurt a lot. Taking that foul will almost guarantee you another opportunity to get out of this spot. Yes you will likely be safe again but I still like those odds better than an aggressive maybe-sell out. (However if I did shoot I would likely try the 2.). Frankly not sure which is right in this case but my point is, do not worry too much about taking an intentional.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Hacker has got the only shot which offers the best percentages. When the safety is less likely and more difficult to pull off, fire away at the best offensive shot you can find. In this case the combo looks pretty good by using the carom. Forget safeties here. My thoughts will typically be to rather go down the tubes trying to win a game rather than lose with an attempt at defensive lottery shot from an untenable position. Even taking a foul in this situation does nothing to improve your chances. Swing away!

Tom

As I posted this response I noticed a few others who suggested taking the intentional. The problem with taking a foul in situations such as this is that the only shot you now have available may not be there the next time you come to the table. Your opponent very well may see that combo and one way or another may prevent you from finding that shot again. A lost opportunity. Take your best chance when you have it.

Tom

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I'd overcut the eight ball, kick the six with cue ball and lay whitey in the stack. Should be easy to hit the high side of the six. The eight ball combo will clear out nicely.

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
Thank you MKBTank! Cool idea Island Drive!
Ya Tom, I think fire away!
For some reason, I know you should shoot the 2 in, after thinking about it for awhile. It just feels right.
It just does. I don't know why it feels right. But I know it.
Question though.
Why use the carom? Do you mean come off the 4 ball, to make the combo? Do you think it is not possible to make the combo unless you use the carom? Or does the carom ensure something for later? Such as pushing more balls out and scattering them?

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
For some reason, I know you should shoot the 2 in, after thinking about it for awhile. It just feels right.
Question though.
Why use the carom? Do you mean come off the 4 ball, to make the combo? Do you think it is not possible to make the combo unless you use the carom? Or does the carom ensure something for later? Such as pushing more balls out and scattering them?

*Actually now I know why shooting the 2 is correct.

A.) You receive a point

B.) You become aggressive with cue ball
that is so far away and maybe you make opponent shake

C.) Why not make a ball, and then get closer to the rack in order to perhaps play a safe again? Chances are probably better at this point. At least, as a completely new player, this is what I see.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Question though.

It appears from the image the use of the carom here helps control the angle for the shot better than simply attempting the combo. The carom has nothing to do with position ideas. Do not worry about future shots from these positions. You are in enough trouble without complicating things with considerations about the future. Just make the shot.