End Game Scenario#1 Reyes/butler

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
ok this is from the 2011 us open
its the first game and its 7 balls each
efrens shot
i myself havent watched the rest of the match yet but we'll play this one out until the end and see what we can learn

efrens shot what should he do ?
if possible add the rational to why shoot that shot.
rb1.jpg

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Me too, but..

Me too, but..

androd said:
I'd shoot at this one. Of course I shoot at most of them. :p
Rod.

...only with a backer. And I mean that. Not being sarcastic. A little below center, with a couple of tips of LEFT hand english.
There is a monster kiss to beat in the middle of the table near the bottom rail. That is why I would venture forth with a stake horse, but bunt at something else for my own.

These shot choices should be categorized by that proviso anyway. I am not ashamed to admit that my shot aggression goes up 24 % with a horse. Up til now I have limited my shot choices to what I would do if parts of my body were involved in the decision.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
androd said:
I'd shoot at this one. Of course I shoot at most of them. :p
Rod.

I was going to say, I bet Effy shot the 3 railer...(slight chance of a kiss, but even that doesn't have to be a game loser) ...If your not feeling froggy, there a very easy safety. Bank the one over by the lefthand corner, and bring the cue down to the bottom rail, close to where it is now.

EDIT: Obviously, I was typing while someone else was submitting...certainly don't want to step on any delicate toesie's..Guess I better check to see who's on line)

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
fred bentivegna said:
...only with a backer. And I mean that. Not being sarcastic. A little below center, with a couple of tips of LEFT hand english.
There is a monster kiss to beat in the middle of the table near the bottom rail. That is why I would venture forth with a stake horse, but bunt at something else for my own.

These shot choices should be categorized by that proviso anyway. I am not ashamed to admit that my shot aggression goes up 24 % with a horse. Up til now I have limited my shot choices to what I would do if parts of my body were involved in the decision.

Beard
what would your shot choice be if a body part was on the line???

bstroud

Verified Member
Bad spot.

I would not try the 3 rail.

I would try to put the cue ball in the middle of the end rail between the pockets and the object ball as near as possible to the far pocket on my opponents side. A thin hit with high should do this.

In this kind of situation you are limited to what is reasonably doable. It is not the time to take a flyer.

Bill Stroud

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Somebody else said it first

Somebody else said it first

lll said:
what would your shot choice be if a body part was on the line???

"Bank the one over by the lefthand corner, and bring the cue down to the bottom rail, close to where it is now."

The only thing that could go wrong is if you bank the ball into the corner. Still not an immediate loser, but you might leave a 2 railer or straight back after the spot up.

Beard

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
distance

distance

thin the one and leave the OB about where it is now and the one way up table........the key is to leave the OB on or very near a rail.....

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Bank the one over by the lefthand corner, and bring the cue down to the bottom rail, close to where it is now.

i dont want to assume anything even if its obvious to you

both of you mean to hit the one with 1/4 to 1/2 ball hit with left english and have the q hit around the first diamond on the short rail from the left lower corner pocket hit the long rail and 2 or 3 rail in total back to the corner from whence it started.

the one ball going to that lower left corner pocket do you want it to end up hitting the long rail (short) and ending on the foot rail or do you want to hit it long to end up on the short rail or do you want it to end up on the long rail???

you are not hitting the one with alot of right inside english to come back to the corner it started from i presume.

without a diagram i want to be clear what

Bank the one over by the lefthand corner, and bring the cue down to the bottom rail, close to where it is now.
really means

Last edited:

Viffer

Verified Member
why not hit 3 quarters of the ball with a soft git and leave the balls facing each other on the long rail, or maybe only pepple with a dippy stroke do that?

bstroud

Verified Member
I just set up the shot on my new Diamond.

I hit the shot I described and left the object ball in the jaws and the cue ball on the middle diamond as I played it. Only shot it once.

There is no better shot. The only danger is as Freddy said. You might make the bank.

Bill Stroud

Skin

Verified Member
I'm going with Rod's and Dick's 3 railer and chance the kiss because a) I think speed is too critical on the safeties and b) the leave from the 3 railer if the cb is played onto the head rail is tough/safe enough with the ob near my hole.

Skin

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
fred bentivegna said:
. A little below center, with a couple of tips of LEFT hand english.
Beard

Just came home from the pool room. Set it up and made it first try.:D
Not close to a kiss.
Didn't try again.:)
Toughen up guys.
Rod.
PS. Cliff made on me a few times, when he missed I didn't have much.
PPS. Just the way I hit it Freddy.

senor

Verified Member
Viffer said:
why not hit 3 quarters of the ball with a soft git and leave the balls facing each other on the long rail, or maybe only pepple with a dippy stroke do that?

Nothing wrong with that if the table doesn't roll off. Def get you to the next inning.

I think you're on to something though. Only people with a dippy stroke do that. You usually don't see the better players slow rolling the cue ball out in open space like that. They would rather hit the shot with a little speed because it's easier to control for them. The opposite might be true for weaker players.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
senor said:
Nothing wrong with that if the table doesn't roll off. Def get you to the next inning.

I think you're on to something though. Only people with a dippy stroke do that. You usually don't see the better players slow rolling the cue ball out in open space like that. They would rather hit the shot with a little speed because it's easier to control for them. The opposite might be true for weaker players.
If your playing well I like the three railer, if this shot is hit reasonably well there is no kiss. The other shot I like is Viffer's choice lagging at the ob hitting it thinly. The speed is automatic to not leave a shot.

I wouldn't try to reposition the ob by the far left corner, might leave a right back or a possible three railer for your opponent.

If i'm playing well I go for the three railer, if not i'm lagging at the thin hit and then take my seat. Nothing nightmarish about that shot.

Billy I.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
well efren decided to come off the 1 ball into about the middle diamond with the q ball and rebound off the rail into the playing area.
from his pointing his cue to an area a little higher on the table as he stepped away it seemed he wanted to have the cue ball alittle more down table(ie closer to his pocket end of the table) than the one ball
the announcers also made that comment that they felt efren came up a little short of his desired ending point for the cu ball
he left butler like this
br1.jpg

br2.jpg
its butlers shot

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
im curious to hear your comments on efrens shot choice
why would you leave the cue ball open in the playing field?:confused:
usually arent you thinking
distance.....on the rail...... frozen to a ball....... in some combination when playing safety???

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Viffer said:

Viff, do you mean the short rail? If you do, this is what Efren shot. He left a bank. Unless they both die on the end rail, you stand a good chance of leaving a bank--either one rail off the long rail or 2 rails off the end rail.