efren/shane make it happen game #3

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
I see 2 options here. First , if the balls lay right I would bank the 1 ball and spin the cueball up and across the table as close to Shane's top pocket as possible. If that shot doesnt lay right I would take an intentional playing the cueball off my side rail again up to the top rail by Shane's pocket. Keith

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
If the angle is there to two rail the 2 and leave the QB on the top rail by the rt corner pocket. Maybe bank the 1 and leave QB on head rail.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I will throw my hat in the ring with my take which relies on Efren seeing the center of the fourteen.

With a touch of left hand English and a stop on the cue ball shoot the fourteen into the cushion ahead of what looks like the twelve ball on Shane's side of the table and clear both balls. An approximate half ball hit on the back of the twelve will do the trick.

Tom

Cory in dc

Verified Member
There were two questions.

1. "WWYD?" From here, this is easy to answer: "sell out."

2. "WWED?" The kick/tickie safe is there, but seems likely to sell out the 3 or the 9. I count 15 balls on the table, so tapping the 15 and spotting a ball, while clever, doesn't work. Tom's shot (using the 14 to clear the 13 and 14) is clearly best if it goes, but it doesn't look like it goes to me (this would be a relatively straightforward WWYD if it does go). The 2-rail on the 2-ball doesn't look good, either. And I don't see anywhere good up table to lag the cue ball on an intentional foul.

When I've got a bunch of very tough options, I pick the one that sends a ball toward my pocket, which leads me to the bank on the one ball, sending the cue ball up to where Efren is standing.

I wonder if the reason Efren's standing right there to figure out the best place to put the CB? Efren's gotta be thinking that there's nowhere up there that he can put the CB where Shane won't shoot the 3-ball.

Cory

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I think he has to leave the cue ball frozen to the short rail, where his right hand is resting. With the 10 and 5 where they are, Shane might not want to go for the 3 ball. Efren can get there by following the 2 ball.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Looks like trouble...

lll, can you tell us if possible is there a little air between the cue ball and 12-ball(?) or is it pretty much frozen to it? It is very hard to see what options Efren might have shooting anything off the 14 in particular.

Tom, I like the creativity of your shot -- my only worry is that the 14 could come off the back of the other ball and head up towards where you are burying the cue ball, and could thus foil the plan.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
There were two questions.

1. "WWYD?" From here, this is easy to answer: "sell out."

2. "WWED?" The kick/tickie safe is there, but seems likely to sell out the 3 or the 9. I count 15 balls on the table, so tapping the 15 and spotting a ball, while clever, doesn't work. Tom's shot (using the 14 to clear the 13 and 14) is clearly best if it goes, but it doesn't look like it goes to me (this would be a relatively straightforward WWYD if it does go). The 2-rail on the 2-ball doesn't look good, either. And I don't see anywhere good up table to lag the cue ball on an intentional foul.

When I've got a bunch of very tough options, I pick the one that sends a ball toward my pocket, which leads me to the bank on the one ball, sending the cue ball up to where Efren is standing.

I wonder if the reason Efren's standing right there to figure out the best place to put the CB? Efren's gotta be thinking that there's nowhere up there that he can put the CB where Shane won't shoot the 3-ball.

Cory

Cory, I agree with your thinking. Although the bank on the 1 ball looks like a kiss to me. I don't think Shane will shoot the 3 ball if he gets the CB to the rail up there.
Rod.
P.S. He could bank the 2 ball and try to go over and back ( close to a kiss also.)

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Cory, I agree with your thinking. Although the bank on the 1 ball looks like a kiss to me. I don't think Shane will shoot the 3 ball if he gets the CB to the rail up there.
Rod.
P.S. He could bank the 2 ball and try to go over and back ( close to a kiss also.)

The kiss is definitely a risk on the 1, but you have the option to play it at the hole or at the 3. I think if I was down on the shot, I could see how to beat the kiss, or at least Efren could. I think this match was on a 10' table, so there's a little more room to work with than normal.

Your bank on the 2 ball would be awesome to see, but it's above my pay grade. Also, it looks like Efren can see a little more of the right part of the cue ball if he shoots the 1-ball than the 2-ball.

Shane seems to shoot everything, and usually make it. In the Shane-Efren TAR match (I think), I recall Shane shooting a long straight shot from frozen on the head rail. If he missed, he probably loses the game and if he makes it he gets 1 ball. He made it.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I think he has to leave the cue ball frozen to the short rail, where his right hand is resting. With the 10 and 5 where they are, Shane might not want to go for the 3 ball. Efren can get there by following the 2 ball.

I recall Shane shooting a long straight shot from frozen on the head rail. If he missed, he probably loses the game and if he makes it he gets 1 ball. He made it.

cory i too think there is a kiss on the 1 but i think if you dont play to make it you might be able to beat the kiss
i do recall that long straight in shot that shane took but dont remember what match it was.
it could have been in this make it happen series.i remember the commentators mentioning how the distance didnt seem to affect shane as much as the other players
still i think vapros has a good point that this time he may choose to move balls away from efrens pocket rather than shoot it.
we will never know ..because.......

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
efren chose to shoot a MASSE intentional scratch.....:eek:
i wish i could clip the video becaus the way the cue ball curved that short distance and stpped perfectly was simply amazing.
my diagram doesnt do it justice (i cant draw curved lines)
i wanted to get a wwyd up so the members would be distracted and go on another trail....:D
i added the what would efren do because im not sure how many of us have this shot in their arsenal.surely not me....:mad:....:(
ee3.jpg

ee4.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
either the 8 didnt go or shane was afraid of the double hit/push foul
but he just tapped the cue ball
taking a scratch behind efren
ee7.jpg

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Efren has amazing touch for that kind of shot! That reminds me of seeing him masse around an object ball on the foot rail -- from snug up on one side of the ball, to snug up on the other side of the ball -- without having to take a foul because he got ball/rail! That was at DCC back when Efren won every One pOcket he entered.

piggybank04

Verified Member
even if you have that masse in your trick bag--how many would have the balls to use it here? not me!! im playing safe some other way.......efren is one of a very select few that could pull that off in this situation--maybe the ONLY one.......

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
It looks to me like he left SVB straight in on the eight ball. If the two balls are frozen is it correct that he can shoot straight though the shot in this tournament? And if he is allowed to shoot straight through, are there limitations to the stroke he uses?

Tom

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
It looks to me like he left SVB straight in on the eight ball. If the two balls are frozen is it correct that he can shoot straight though the shot in this tournament? And if he is allowed to shoot straight through, are there limitations to the stroke he uses?

Tom

tom if shane could make the 8 im sure he would have shot it
he chose not to.
as for the rules at this event im not sure