Verified Member
hi guys
trying to keep the site going
as are you all too..... 👍 :)
efrens shot
efren shane wwyd 1.pngefren shane wwyd 1A.png

sappo

Verified Member
Id move the pink ball by Efrin'spocket up table a bit and leave the cue ball down along the bottom rail where his opponent does not have a bank. Obviously you should be playing the score and moving ball out of play to insure you win the game. One careless mistake here and you could lose this game. The only place I don't want the pink to go is where it would tie up the 1 ball. This way his opponent can't place the cue ball up table and will probably have to move some balls out of play for you. K

evergruven

hey larry!
I'm nobody but if I'm efren and only need one
while the other player (shane?) needs them all
I'm thinking defense..
leave the cb downtable on the rail
if that's too funny
how about hitting the lone ball uptable to my side
follow the cb to my opponent's side
and leave a long, tough cut
on what looks to be the (5) ball

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
how about hitting the lone ball uptable to my side
follow the cb to my opponent's side
and leave a long, tough cut
on what looks to be the (5) ball
That's what I was thinking. Send that ball (15?) two rails leaving it right about where the CB starts from.
Leave CB on the head-rail close to the pocket as possible.
Leaves him considering that 5 ball, which is probably just fine.

vapros

Verified Member
The 5 ball will be your winner, so don't let him see it. I would bank the stripe to my side and leave Jojo on the long rail, two diamonds above the side pocket.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Evergruven, I think you are close when considering moving what looks like the 12 ball (ball up table and on opponent's side). Instead of leaving the cue ball up table, cross it to your side and send the cue ball off the top rail and down near the far side pocket. This clears a potentially dangerous ball, eliminates the possible cut on the (5 ball), protects the ball near Efren's pocket because the soft kick into this ball, and removes any viable bank or kick shot on the one. This should be a very simple shot to execute because the angle couldn't be more natural and carries zero risk. I don't see a very effective response to this new position.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
One other thought. I know Efren likes to spin balls like that pink ball nearer towards his pocket sending the cue ball to the far side rail, using the cluster of balls to hide that pink ball. This would be a fine shot to pull off but the problem I see in executing this shot is that the cue ball is so far down table it will be difficult to reach. Efren is unique and may be able to do it. I'd stick with crossing the 12.

Cheers,

Tom

J.R.

Verified Member
As Tom Wirth explained in his earlier post, I also would shoot the cue ball to cross over the dark colored stripe ball to Efren's side of the table. The cue ball would be stroked with high right spin which would allow the cue ball to rebound off the end rail and stop near his opponent's side pocket.

Additionally, I would also check the location of the 6 and 8 balls that are nearest the spot. For instance, the 8-ball is behind the spotted 6-ball yet it is not directly behind it. Because the 8-ball is not directly behind the 6-ball another possible move, but only if this would make a "dead combination" to Efren's pocket, would be to pocket the dark colored stripe ball in the far upper corner which would then be re-spotted on the line but behind and to the side of the 8-ball.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Efren is back banking the 1 and spinning the cb down table to position it along side long rail 1st diamond.
Or, he is playing the cb to go in behind the stack, but whatever he does it is with the 1. This is what I would do also. Whitey

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
Whose shot is it? Never mind I see now...

If efren doesn't bank the 1 ball straight back I will be shocked! :)

If he doesn't like it then thin the pink towards his hole with cb going 2 rails using stack as blockers.

Island Drive

Verified Member
Like TW said thin the 5 and hide behind the stack, but I might cut the one in the side and leave whitey on the top rail by the corner pocket.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
https://photos.app.goo.gl/w1GcctqbccCnHioX9 this scenario intrigued me, so I worked it followed up with a video. The secret in accomplishing this shot is the spin, for it adds speed to the cb to get it where we want it.
I know you might think I set it up on more angle, but it is not, it is the camera angle/placement for I had to video out of the corner so my body being left handed did not block the shot.
This is a very hard twist bank of which I did not think possible and still get the cb where I wanted it. But in using extreme rhe above center level cue then the shot became possible. I was surprised that I made it with such good pocket speed plus still get the cb position.
Whitey

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Hard to say what Efren does here. The 1ball straight back looks a little hinky to me. If the CB were 1-2" further from the rail, I'd like it.

Tom's shot is right on the money as usual. Still, I might be inclined to thin off the left side of the 6ball to put the CB up toward the opponent's side pocket. I can reach that shot, and obviously could left-handers or those who can shoot left handed. With the pink in front of his hole, the opponent can't ignore it.

But Evergruven makes a good point. What's the score?

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Whitey, Very nice shot and well presented too. That said I must disagree with the choice. Here's why. First of all there is no need to play this shot when needing only one ball. You have the situation well in hand so the biggest enemy to the shooter is himself. Meaning UNFORCED ERRORS!
This shot assumes unnecessary risk.
In watching your excellent video I noticed you did a good job sending the cue ball to the far side rail. I also noticed the speed of the one ball as it traveled towards your pocket. Had you not pocketed that ball it would have worked its way back up the side rail enough to sell out a cross corner bank. I'm not looking to rain on your parade but why take risks with shots that requires such a high degree of execution skills when needing only one ball and having so many balls still in play? Especially when there are far easier traps which can be set that carry no risk at all.
Who knows, Efren may have shot this very shot but I will defend my thinking here regardless of whether he pockets the ball or not. It's simply the wrong shot at the wrong time.

Cheers,

Tom

Hardmix

Verified Member
I like feathering off the left side of the 5 ball by Efrens pocket and bringing the cb near the opponents side pocket about a diamond out. The downside to this shot, you could leave a 2 rail shot on the stripe that is up table and he could leave you doubled up on the 1 and the 5 ball. This is assuming the 5 gets a little queer in front of your pocket. In addition, you are now doubled up and your opponent has a ball in front of his hole and 5 ball in front of your pocket could be high enough that he can bank it so the take out of the stripe may not be straightforward.

Given the potential issues with the 5 and that I am up 7/0, I will cross the stripe up table and leave the cb just below my opponent's side pocket.

sappo

Verified Member
Id move the pink ball by Efrin'spocket up table a bit and leave the cue ball down along the bottom rail where his opponent does not have a bank. Obviously you should be playing the score and moving ball out of play to insure you win the game. One careless mistake here and you could lose this game. The only place I don't want the pink to go is where it would tie up the 1 ball. This way his opponent can't place the cue ball up table and will probably have to move some balls out of play for you. K
Since no one has commented on my shot I thought I would give it a bump. K

Hardmix

Verified Member
Keith it will be very difficult to not leave a bank by staying low with the CB. If you stay low on your side you will leave a 2 railer on the 1 or 5 and if move over to his side you will give up a straight back on the stripe bring the cb 3 rails around for the 9. Your only hope would be to double him up on the 3 and the stripe up table. That said, this will not work in your favor because you can't move the 5 and leave the cb ON the bottom rail. So he now has access to the bottom of the cb which means he is going to most likely carom bank the 9 and stun forward possibly leaving a shot available on the 3 ball.

Bottom line, leaving the cb low leaves too many offensive opportunities in this situation...imo.

OneRock

Verified Member
Given the score, the no-brainer choice (mentioned above) is to spin off the pink ball with low left, sending the CB towards the first diamond below his side pocket. That's how you keep him on the defensive and deny him the opportunity to get aggressive. I'd only shoot Whitey's shot if I were behind on the score and I needed an opportunity to turn the game around.