efren grady wwyd

lll

Verified Member
definitely creative and daring on efrens part
he caromed off the 8 in the 4
the cue ball went straight at the 15?
hitting it really full
the fifteen went into the rail and bumped 14?
the cue follwed the fifteen bumped the 15 and the 14? alittle and ended where grady had no shot on the fifteen......:eek::eek::eek::eek:
the magician at work again.....:D

eg2.jpg

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
definitely creative and daring on efrens part
he caromed off the 8 in the 4
the cue ball went straight at the 15?
hitting it really full
the fifteen went into the rail and bumped 14?
the cue follwed the fifteen bumped the 15 and the 14? alittle and ended where grady had no shot on the fifteen......:eek::eek::eek::eek:
the magician at work again.....:D

View attachment 13929
Larry, I believe this outcome to be purely accidental. I strongly doubt he intended the cue ball to graze the four coming off the eight. It is my opinion his goal was to slide off the eight and into the bottom half of the dark ball along the side rail, avoiding the four completely, then make a second carom into the side of the fourteen. Still a very creative shot but a little lucky too.

There is no way for Efren to have any reasonable expectation of success planning the shot the way it came out. In other words, I ain't buyin' it!

Tom

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
Larry, I believe this outcome to be purely accidental. I strongly doubt he intended the cue ball to graze the four coming off the eight. It is my opinion his goal was to slide off the eight and into the bottom half of the dark ball along the side rail, avoiding the four completely, then make a second carom into the side of the fourteen. Still a very creative shot but a little lucky too.

There is no way for Efren to have any reasonable expectation of success planning the shot the way it came out. In other words, I ain't buyin' it!

Tom
tom maybe efren would agree with you and say
"i got lucky"..:D
but if you saw how pure the cueball came off the 2 caroms and hit the 15
its hard to believe he wasnt trying to do something like that
for sure controlling 4 balls like that is a stretch and another inch or so grady has a shot
but it didnt go another inch and grady didnt have an offensive shot...:eek:
i have to assume efren couldnt get to the solid ball to do something with it as the members suggested which was the right shot for most of us if it could be seen

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Larry, many times unexpected things happen. As in this case. To a spectator watching the most creative One Pocket player ever to play the game, it will look as though he was playing it all the way. If the camera was on him, you may have seen a little smile as he walked from the table. Otherwise he will let you think it was all planned that way.

If you look at the path off the eight ball, you can see how there is a far more direct route to the dark ball along the side rail. That leads to the rail side of the fourteen. It is clear in my mind at least, that Efren saw the same thing and attempted this instead of the Rube Goldberg that actually occurred. He just hit the eight a little full and S**t out.

Tom

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I agree, Tom. Efren came out of that one smelling like a rose.;) Grady had him in deep trouble, especially shooting from the jaws of the corner pocket. Efren tried something nutty, and got away with it. We'll never know what he had in mind, but it was probably something like you described.

We've all done it: being in trouble, trying some very precarious shot, and having it end up great, but much differently than we imagined.

He may have seen the kick shot, but decided against it for fear of the striped ball kiss. The shot he took was able to be rolled rather than stroked.

~Doc

petie

Verified Member
That's why they call him Efren the magician. If you ever watch his matches, and I'm sure you do, you'll notice that very knowledgeable commentators (no names here) often and I mean often do not have a clue as to what he is going to do.

straightback

Verified Member
For whatever reason, Reyes always comes out on top with these circus shots, even when they go bad. More than one pro player has remarked on his luck.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
efren grady wwyd

Larry asked me to post the video of the shot...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArdsFI6DwJ0[/ame]

beatle

Verified Member
creative shot but he certainly got lucky. but he knows when in a trap like that you cant just ticky around against a great player as you just prolong the inevitable.

i would expect him to find a clearing out shot or to shoot a shot he was the underdog to make but if he did might run out.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Wonder if Grady banked the 9 and put the CB up table by the solid on the end rail? Anyone know?

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
He definitely got a bit lucky there, just at the end of the shot.
The ball was about a 95 out of 100 to be makeable after they are done rolling ,and he gets the 5% roll where it can't be made.
I believe he was trying to carom those balls out of there and played the cueball to rest near the pocket, that's a pretty common answer on a shot like this, but you do need some luck for the balls to not kiss back into the lane or get hit too thin and not get out of the way in time.
Also , you can sometimes hit it perfect and have the cue ball float into the pocket.
Which makes you absolutely want to puke.
Just to see the shot and have the guts to shoot it, is impressive, but then , nothing Efren does surprises me much anymore.
The guy is in another dimension at One Pocket.
Think of just the side pocket shots he has made to win or at least stay in matches.
Lots of people know the shots, but they might make them 1 out of 20 and they are never, going to make them with the rent on the line.
Efren pops every one of them in and runs out like it's cake day.