Effren vs You - WWYD

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Effren vs You - WWYD

Anyone other than me consider banking the 5 in my hole and playing the cue 3 rails to take out the 7? It doesn't look like you could scratch if you hit long rail first.

Island Drive

Verified Member
Anyone other than me consider banking the 5 in my hole and playing the cue 3 rails to take out the 7? It doesn't look like you could scratch if you hit long rail first.?

Or just bank the 5 and play shape on the one. Having not playing this game till my early sixties, it didn't even occur to me. Now in Houston with humidity as it is, seems like a very difficult shot to control especially on older rag with dirt on the rail nose being totally unpredictable. In pool it always seems like I can scratch :D

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Anyone other than me consider banking the 5 in my hole and playing the cue 3 rails to take out the 7? It doesn't look like you could scratch if you hit long rail first.
Hi Mitch, I didn't know the five could even be seen to bank, but if I were to play that bank, I would simply focus on making it and playing position on the one. Forget about bringing the cue ball three rails to the seven. The best safety is the one where you make a ball in your pocket. If you miss the bank short with pocket speed and can leave the cue ball very close to your side rail, there by taking the base of the cue ball away, you will have also left him fairly straight in on the seven. From that position it may be difficult for your opponent to play shape on anything.

Tom

beatle

Verified Member
sure if the 5 goes its a no brainer just bank it in and run a bunch of balls.
dont think he would have posted this if it went.

but it doesnt look like it does but hard to tell as it seems there are no diamonds on the long rails on this table to help locate where the ball sits.

another of the bad options is to bank cueball one rail or two into the 7 from down under there.

but shooting at the 7 will most times just leave him a good safe back where you will be worse off. unless you get lucky.

and playing someone much better than you. you are much better off taking the worst of it by shooting to win then taking way the worst of it trying to out play him moving.

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
The 7 ball is not a problem yet. The problem is the location of the cueball. Try to bump the 12 if you can and not take a foul but if you get it behind the 12 it'll be much harder for him to put it back where it was. If he just hits the 1 and puts you right back then it's nothing lost and maybe position gained. Kicking at the 7 is useless, extend the game one more shot and see what happens.

you vs er.jpg

Island Drive

Verified Member
The 7 ball is not a problem yet. The problem is the location of the cueball. Try to bump the 12 if you can and not take a foul but if you get it behind the 12 it'll be much harder for him to put it back where it was. If he just hits the 1 and puts you right back then it's nothing lost and maybe position gained. Kicking at the 7 is useless, extend the game one more shot and see what happens.

View attachment 14161
The opposite of controlled aggression TM....It's ''passive aggressive'' and simple. Thx for the simplicity of the moment.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I like hacker's shot of getting behind the 12 after banking the 1 ball if the angle is on...

otherwise my first thought before looking at any replies was what tom said. I would be 3 rail / 4 rail kicking at the 7 ball to either make it or get safe.

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
If Efren were left in this position he would not even consider banking the 1 or kicking 1, 3 or 4 rails at the 7 (too much DD commentary). He would do something simple and effective like kick behind the 12 and then he'd sit down and let you shoot. Why do any less to him?

Good players who are suggesting banking the 1, 5 or kicking at the 7 are doing a disservice to the newbs here. There is one correct and very simple shot here, shoot it and sit down.

Dennis

cincy_kid

Verified Member
If Efren were left in this position he would not even consider banking the 1 or kicking 1, 3 or 4 rails at the 7 (too much DD commentary). He would do something simple and effective like kick behind the 12 and then he'd sit down and let you shoot. Why do any less to him?

Good players who are suggesting banking the 1, 5 or kicking at the 7 are doing a disservice to the newbs here. There is one correct and very simple shot here, shoot it and sit down.

Dennis
If you can bank the 1 ball and still get behind the 12 where you are saying to kick it to, why not shoot it?

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
If you can bank the 1 ball and still get behind the 12 where you are saying to kick it to, why not shoot it?
You would have to hit the 1 very hard from this position to put the cueball behind the 12. If you made the 1 you would be in trouble and if you missed it it would be flying all over the place. The bank on the 1 is no shot.

Think what would Efren do from here?

It's like there's some kind of group-think on this forum and nobody can think for themselves anymore. What do you think AB or SJD or Freddie would do? They would not be banking the 1 ball or kicking at the 7 ball.

Remember this; You are not even in trouble in this layout and everybody is acting like the apocalypse is upon us.

Dennis

cincy_kid

Verified Member
You would have to hit the 1 very hard from this position to put the cueball behind the 12. If you made the 1 you would be in trouble and if you missed it it would be flying all over the place. The bank on the 1 is no shot.

Think what would Efren do from here?

It's like there's some kind of group-think on this forum and nobody can think for themselves anymore. What do you think AB or SJD or Freddie would do? They would not be banking the 1 ball or kicking at the 7 ball.

Remember this; You are not even in trouble in this layout and everybody is acting like the apocalypse is upon us.

Dennis
I get where you are coming from and you may be right on the best shot from here. But I think Rob has a pretty respectable game himself and if he is shooting it, it can be half bad...

lll

Verified Member

View attachment 14161
K.I.S.S.
i like it........kudos.jpg
dont be a stranger dennis
:)

Jimmy B

Verified Member

View attachment 14161

Let's say you kick gently behind the twelve and hit it good and don't foul, but Efen then just nudges the cue ball and freezes you wedged between the rail and twelve. What do you do then?

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
Let's say you kick gently behind the twelve and hit it good and don't foul, but Efen then just nudges the cue ball and freezes you wedged between the rail and twelve. What do you do then?
JB,

Leaving the cueball and 12 close enough to where he could do that is only one of several possible outcomes. If it happened then the game goes on, as always. It's not the end of the world. He could also leave me a takeout on the 5/7 balls.

Dennis

1pwannabe

Verified Member
You would lose the battle with Efren 100 out of 100 times with this shot selection. You seem to think that kicking is some kind of hail mary shot..it isn't.

JB,

Leaving the cueball and 12 close enough to where he could do that is only one of several possible outcomes. If it happened then the game goes on, as always. It's not the end of the world. He could also leave me a takeout on the 5/7 balls.

Dennis

1pwannabe

Verified Member
The guy playing Efren in this particular match did try to bank the 1, and draw into the stack. It turned out like this due to the speed needed to bank the 1.

androd

Verified Member
View attachment 14161
Another option for Dennis' point of view.

Attachments

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
JB,

Dennis
You would lose the battle with Efren 100 out of 100 times with this shot selection. You seem to think that kicking is some kind of hail mary shot..it isn't.
You may want to look up the definition of "hail mary shot", you seem to be unclear as to what the phrase denotes.

I'm getting 10-7 from a better player, I don't care who it is. It must be an even game or I wouldn't be playing it.

I don't remember seeing what you would have done from here??? Oh well, it doesn't really matter does it?

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
The guy playing Efren in this particular match did try to bank the 1, and draw into the stack. It turned out like this due to the speed needed to bank the 1.

Freddy summed up my precise thoughts on situations such as this even though it pertained to another situation.

Dennis

fred bentivegna said:
Guys that try to shoot their way out of everything. Too proud to use their brain and try to think thru the situation. Like I said, guys like this, after I broke them they would go on two week drunks or dope binges.

Beard