Effren vs You - WWYD

1pwannabe

Verified Member
YOU are playing Efren, and he's giving you 10-7. Ball score is 0-0. $100 a game.

He puts you in this simple trap, WWYD?

LSJohn

Verified Member
YOU are playing Efren, and he's giving you 10-7. Ball score is 0-0. $100 a game.

He puts you in this simple trap, WWYD?

Bank the 1, draw whitey toward the stack. If I'm gonna shoot a hope shot against this guy it's gonna be offensive.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Bank the 1, draw whitey toward the stack. If I'm gonna shoot a hope shot against this guy it's gonna be offensive.
That's a good shot. And if it's not laying just right, e.g. if you can't draw the CB back into the meat of the stack, then it's lie might permit shooting with high CB (or high right) to float it up behind the 12 ball-- doubling him up.

OTOH, if the 1 ball pockets, we've got a problem...:D

~Doc

one pocket guy

Verified Member
Can you see the five?

Can you see the five?

If so I'm banking into stack high left swinging whitey around three rails to get behind 7

Tylerbob

Verified Member
Hard to see the line, but would a half masse kick on the 7 work?

(A recovering 9 ball player)

onepockethacker

Verified Member
If I can bank the 1 ball toward my hole and get the cue ball up table behind the 12 ball thats what Im shooting.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Three rail / four rail kick toward the seven. Right side rail first, above the twelve.

Tom

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Three rail / four rail kick toward the seven. Right side rail first, above the twelve.

Tom
I like this option Tom, it has the best chance of getting you out of this with moderate risk. The 1 rail kick is ok, but it does leave a bank often.

lll

Verified Member
I like this option Tom, it has the best chance of getting you out of this with moderate risk. The 1 rail kick is ok, but it does leave a bank often.
question
in this layout
both banks
long rail /short rail /side rail
vs
the standard 3-4 rail corner 5 safety
come into the 7 off the side rail

why does one tend to leave a bank and not the other??
p.s. for me the corner 5 safety is more reliable and the one i would choose if given either/or
in spite of my prior post

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
I think there are up sides and down sides to both of these kick shots Larry. I can't answer to your question about the leaving of banks with these shots but I do have an opinion about their potential outcomes.

The kick off the left side rail is very difficult to measure and the risk of scratching is high should you catch the opposite side rail before contacting the seven. The up side to this shot is that a double kiss is likely to be one that will push the seven up table and away from Efren's pocket while at the same time hold the cue ball close to the corner. How far the object ball travels is of course dependent on how hard the hit.

The corner five shot is certainly more easily controllable and a hit on the seven is far more likely, but the down side is a double kiss from this angle is more likely to sell out the seven. I still like this option better than the two rail kick because I know I will at least make contact. I have always found two rail kicks to be really difficult to control when the cue ball is so close to the first rail.

One other point, the bank shot is not a bad option but if I chose this shot over the others I would draw the cue ball toward my side of the stack and play position on the two balls in my scoring quadrant.

Tom

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
if the table will take it i would bank the one and play to make a few balls while i had a chance at them. but i dont like hitting the outside edge on those bank shots from there.

LSJohn

Verified Member
One other point, the bank shot is not a bad option but if I chose this shot over the others I would draw the cue ball toward my side of the stack and play position of the two balls in my scoring quadrant.

Tom
Woo hoo! :p

lll

Verified Member
I think there are up sides and down sides to both of these kick shots Larry. I can't answer to your question about the leaving of banks with these shots but I do have an opinion about their potential outcomes.

The kick off the left side rail is very difficult to measure and the risk of scratching is high should you catch the opposite side rail before contacting the seven. The up side to this shot is that a double kiss is likely to be one that will push the seven up table and away from Efren's pocket while at the same time hold the cue ball close to the corner. How far the object ball travels is of course dependent on how hard the hit.

The corner five shot is certainly more easily controllable and a hit on the seven is far more likely, but the down side is a double kiss from this angle is more likely to sell out the seven. I still like this option better than the two rail kick because I know I will at least make contact. I have always found two rail kicks to be really difficult to control when the cue ball is so close to the first rail.

One other point, the bank shot is not a bad option but if I chose this shot over the others I would draw the cue ball toward my side of the stack and play position of the two balls in my scoring quadrant.

Tom
thanks for the reply tom

Island Drive

Verified Member
Power draw

Power draw

Tom is there any upside to banking the one into the seven and drawing whitey back into the bottom of the stack 2 rails? Feels like the shooter would then have many more good possibilities for an effective take out/outcome, whether its hit short or long.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
That is an interesting idea, Bill but for several reasons I don't see it as a realistic option here. First, by this action you will be removing a ball from your own side that threatens your opponent. Second, to get the cue ball to cover that much distance the shot would have to be struck very firmly and there is no telling where on the seven the one ball will hit, if it hits the seven at all. Third, Controlling this shot to the degree you suggest is no easy task. And fourth, there are far better options.

If you're thinking is that extreme why not think heroically, and shoot for your hole. Go down trying to win as opposed to trying not to lose.

As Farragut said; "Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead".

Tom

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
I do like the one ball bank, to my hole, a shot I execute very well. But moving the one ball at speed into the seven, especially if the bank is hit long, will relocate both balls to the other side. If you could try it and let us know, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts. Tell Mare I'm lookin' for a tall hug in Houston :).

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
I do like the one ball bank, to my hole, a shot I execute very well. But moving the one ball at speed into the seven, especially if the bank is hit long, will relocate both balls to the other side. If you could try it and let us know, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts. Tell Mare I'm lookin' for a tall hug in Houston :).
She'll like that.

T

LSJohn

Verified Member
Tom is there any upside to banking the one into the seven and drawing whitey back into the bottom of the stack 2 rails? Feels like the shooter would then have many more good possibilities for an effective take out/outcome, whether its hit short or long.
I'm afraid that would never occur to me, but it's a really interesting idea, and I think it sits perfect.

Good eye.