Eddie Taylor or "Bugs"

Eight & Out

Verified Member
Joined
May 25, 2004
Messages
27
Of the two which one was the better one-pocket banker.I'm not talking bank pool strickly one-pocket.I'm sure a few of you guys have seen both in action over the years.

Pete
 

hemicudas

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
702
Bugs Told Me.

Bugs Told Me.

Eight & Out said:
Of the two which one was the better one-pocket banker.I'm not talking bank pool strickly one-pocket.I'm sure a few of you guys have seen both in action over the years.

Pete
8&out, Bugs told me that Eddie Taylor taught him how to bank and he thought Eddie was the best banker ever. He also told me that he, (Bugs), would have to try Eddie some One Pocket though. In answer to your question? I don't know. But, it's an honest answer. After Ronnie Allen on my list, it could just as easily be Grady at #2.
 
Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
8,578
hemicudas said:
8&out, Bugs told me that Eddie Taylor taught him how to bank and he thought Eddie was the best banker ever. He also told me that he, (Bugs), would have to try Eddie some One Pocket though. In answer to your question? I don't know. But, it's an honest answer. After Ronnie Allen on my list, it could just as easily be Grady at #2.
I've only seen Eddie Taylor during his 'retirement years' -- not back when he was at the top of his game. Although I suspect Eddie would be considered a notch above 'Bugs' as an all-around player, Bugs may have been a more well rounded One Pocket player than Eddie was, and of course he got damn close to Eddie at banks.

One of my favorite personally witnessed matches was a classic session between Grady and Bugs in about 1991 that took place after hours at Strawberry's One Pocket tournament in the DC area. Bugs was a complete One Pocket player, not just a banking maniac. But like Taylor, he could disregard the other man's pocket to fire at a bank that most other players would never consider. He'd peruse a tough situation that offered an even tougher looking bank, and say, "Grady, I got to go..." and fire at some off-angle straight back without regard to ducking -- and usually make the shot and then some!

Shots like this:
START(
%Ac2H6%BI5E6%CJ5O4%DD9G0%EP5N5%FJ5R0%GK6N8%HM7N8%IL7O4%JB7C0
%KE4O9%LI1M2%MN4U0%NC2B6%OB2B7%PK6S1%U`8I1%VM0R4%Wr3N4%Xd4H9
%YD9[0%Zs0N9%eB5a0%_l8Z1%`h2D4%ac2G5%bm0E7%cl8J7%dl4Z8
)END
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
14,684
NH Steve said:
I've only seen Eddie Taylor during his 'retirement years' -- not back when he was at the top of his game. Although I suspect Eddie would be considered a notch above 'Bugs' as an all-around player, Bugs may have been a more well rounded One Pocket player than Eddie was, and of course he got damn close to Eddie at banks.

One of my favorite personally witnessed matches was a classic session between Grady and Bugs in about 1991 that took place after hours at Strawberry's One Pocket tournament in the DC area. Bugs was a complete One Pocket player, not just a banking maniac. But like Taylor, he could disregard the other man's pocket to fire at a bank that most other players would never consider. He'd peruse a tough situation that offered an even tougher looking bank, and say, "Grady, I got to go..." and fire at some off-angle straight back without regard to ducking -- and usually make the shot and then some!

Shots like this:
START(
%Ac2H6%BI5E6%CJ5O4%DD9G0%EP5N5%FJ5R0%GK6N8%HM7N8%IL7O4%JB7C0
%KE4O9%LI1M2%MN4U0%NC2B6%OB2B7%PK6S1%U`8I1%VM0R4%Wr3N4%Xd4H9
%YD9[0%Zs0N9%eB5a0%_l8Z1%`h2D4%ac2G5%bm0E7%cl8J7%dl4Z8
)END
i forgot how to make this show up on the weii table
could someone post it and
refresh my memory how to post it .
thanks
 

NH Steve

Administrator
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
8,578
lll said:
i forgot how to make this show up on the weii table
could someone post it and
refresh my memory how to post it .
thanks
This is what I came up with....

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2APlL3BWiC3CAUn3DTYQ3ECPD4FFjn3GBjW3HBir3IAUH3JQXM4KAvJ3LFTH4MMci3NTJO3OVeL4PIMW4QdOt2UPlL2UEfk4Ubjh4kIMW2kQJw2kapw1kbov2kTGb2kTfc@[/CUETABLE]
 

beatle

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2009
Messages
2,139
taylor was quite a bit older i think so was getting long in the tooth by then, at least a little i think. but no one could bank like him especially under the pressure and also control the rock. even wimpy wouldnt play him nine ball as you couldnt play shoot out with taylor because he always left you a long or crazy bank that if you shot you missed and he didnt.
 

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
I'm quite certain you are not him...(MM)

I'm quite certain you are not him...(MM)

beatle said:
taylor was quite a bit older i think so was getting long in the tooth by then, at least a little i think. but no one could bank like him especially under the pressure and also control the rock. even wimpy wouldnt play him nine ball as you couldnt play shoot out with taylor because he always left you a long or crazy bank that if you shot you missed and he didnt.
Beatle,

"Beatle" or Beetle" was a nickname we had for Mike Massey when he was just a kid around Ft. Worth. I had forgotten, 'til he came here to Phx. a few months ago and looked me up.
Is there any connection between you and him ? You sound like you might be from around So Cal....Just wonderin'

San Jose Dick
 

beatle

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2009
Messages
2,139
no connection just been around the block some. you wouldnt have known me i never played when you were in a joint.
 

jay helfert

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2006
Messages
532
I saw them both play and knew their respective reps. At One Pocket I like Bugs bank game, but Eddie was very close to him in overall One Pocket ability. At Bank Pool, Taylor was the man, but Bugs was a very close second. Cannonball and Youngblood Washington were right up there with these two as well.

Cannonball may have been the best all around player of them all (the guys mentioned above). He could play all games at a very high level and didn't dog it for the cheese. Cannonball would play ANYONE at any game in the late 50's to early 60's. That includes the Straight Pool champions and all the 9-Ball hustlers. He told me once the only guys he wouldn't mess with were Cincinnati Clem and White Rags (John Fitzpatrick) at One Pocket, and Lassiter or Willis at 9-Ball.

JC (Cannonball) claimed to have broken even playing Lassiter 9-Ball in Norfolk, and did confess to getting busted by Rags in D.C. playing One Pocket.
 
Top