Eating before playing

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
As an older player I have to be careful. The pool room food where I play is not the best, so I try to eat at least two hours before I play and keep some trail mix or energy bars in my case to snack on.

Our monthly one pocket is this Saturday and likely to last 10/12 hours if I am lucky enough to remain to the end. There is usually a 1/2 hour waiting period if you are around late in the tournament and that is when I refuel.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Eat then play....it's not football

Eat then play....it's not football

If you play in tournaments, sometimes you have to each and play. Yr. ago I learned to always Eat and then ''Play'' . Why Not? You now have more energy, and it's good getting the OLD oil rig doing it's thing keeping the hydraulics workin' :).

They used to tell me (grew up on a WI lake) to never go swimming right after you eat..........phew.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
For me, if I eat just before playing I get light headed, or foggy, if you will. The blood leaves the head and goes to the stomach to help digest the food. Eating light snacks helps in keeping the energy up.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
You can usually catch me with a cheese stick hanging out of my mouth when I am shooting at my game ball for hunnert a game.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
“Carryover” food only, preferably with some sugar content. Brain runs on glucose, ya know.
Coke and ice to drink. If I am in a tournament small items throughout the night as opposed to meals.

Johnny J. Willis

Verified Member
Snacks mostly in tournament as well as marathon gambling. Seems IMO it makes me sluggish and not as sharp when my belly is full

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I have to eat before I play and for sure have energy bars / snacks / smoothies and other things at my disposal so i can consume if and when I start to feel bad from going too long without eating. When I was younger not so much but now, absolutely!

baby huey

Verified Member
My problem is I eat too much all the time. But seriously back when I used to play long sessions, I ate very little. The old Mexican players and I mean the top players of that time 60s-70's used to eat small portions of honey. I mean they'ed have small packages of honey and eat maybe a half ounce or so every hour and drink lots of water during extended matches. They felt that the honey took a little longer to digest and stayed in their system longer, was not filling and could regulate the calories and energy required for long sets.