E. Reyes vs. S. Woodward 2013 Tunica

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Reyes shot the right shot imo. Had Reyes positioned the cue ball nearer the diamond on the rail Skyler would of been in trouble. Sometimes we have to gamble when the prize is more than our opponent can afford to pay. Reyes shot a shot that he could execute at a high percentage and hit it a little bad but still has a legitimate chance of winning the game.

Trying to hang the 7ball from the position Reyes would be shooting from is a very low % shot and most likely would leave Skyler in a position to make a return shot that would force Reyes to pocket a ball. Then Reyes would be in an unenviable situation of having to deal with Skyler "free popping" at the loose ball while the 2ball remains hanging. Which is exactly what he can't afford to have happen. Like I said, "sometimes you have to gamble, especially if the reward is something your opponent can't afford to pay" And for that reason alone Reyes shot a very viable shot.

Dr. Bill

It is amazing how my crystal clear bank pool logic and strategy doesnt penetrate that slate you have for a noggin. By disputing every solution and theory that I propose,all you are doing is leading players trying to learn bank strategy away from the correct path. And lets face it, there is no question in my or many other peoples minds who is the foremost authority on how to play bank pool. When I say something about bank pool, the Filipinos write it down! It is only on this site, and you in particular, find the time to challenge every nugget I release. Jeez!

Hanging the ball is low percentage? Are you serious?
First off, you dont have to even hang the ball, just push it close to the pocket where there is no bank shot available. And if Skylar does somehow force Efren to pocket a ball by hanging the ball deep into the pocket, if he was playing me he would stand a very good chance of getting his ass corner hooked! Playing safe off of a ball in the pocket is my long suit, and just requires patience, which apparently you are a little short of lately.

You have already just about got me to quit the 1pkt WWYD's. It aint gonna hurt me to stop posting in the bank pool WWYD's because I already know what to do. I aint the one that needs to learn what to do in these situations.:confused:

"Knock off the ball in the corner and give Sklylar a straight bank shot 2 ft away from the cue ball to win the game," you call that putting him in trouble?

Beard

I can only assume that you are just kidding. Really. But please confess to such as you are only misleading those that are taking you serious. :lol

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
It is amazing how my crystal clear bank pool logic and strategy doesnt penetrate that slate you have for a noggin. By disputing every solution and theory that I propose,all you are doing is leading players trying to learn bank strategy away from the correct path. (No, i'm showing them another way to deal with situations, maybe they don't always agree with your way but believe it or not, there are other ways) And lets face it, there is no question in my or many other peoples minds who is the foremost authority on how to play bank pool. When I say something about bank pool, the Filipinos write it down! It is only on this site, and you in particular, find the time to challenge every nugget I release. Jeez! (we happen to be discussing strategy, not banking. I understand strategy playing all games, quite well. You proposed to shoot a bank on the 3ball where you are at least a 2/1 dog to pocket and if missed you give up easy return shots either to the side or corner.:frus I show you a simple safety that will get you out of trouble and you say i'm knocking your bank strategy. give me a break)

Hanging the ball is low percentage? Are you serious? (yes, very serious)
First off, you dont have to even hang the ball, just push it close to the pocket where there is no bank shot available. And if Skylar does somehow force Efren to pocket a ball by hanging the ball deep into the pocket, if he was playing me he would stand a very good chance of getting his ass corner hooked! (Now are you serious? you're back peddling now) Playing safe off of a ball in the pocket is my long suit, and just requires patience, which apparently you are a little short of lately. (On the contrary it seems to me that you're the one short of patience)

You have already just about got me to quit the 1pkt WWYD's. It aint gonna hurt me to stop posting in the bank pool WWYD's because I already know what to do. I aint the one that needs to learn what to do in these situations.:confused:

"Knock off the ball in the corner and give Sklylar a straight bank shot 2 ft away from the cue ball to win the game," you call that putting him in trouble? (Yes he will be in trouble if you freeze the cue ball to the rail and force him to play a shot he doesn't want to shoot)

Beard

I can only assume that you are just kidding. Really. But please confess to such as you are only misleading those that are taking you serious. :lol
(Nether me nor Reyes is kidding, in case you didn't notice Reyes shot the shot that I suggested)

Please don't try to accuse me of chasing you away from the wwyd threads in the one pocket forum, you're acting like your merits of playing any pool game are bible, really. There are many players that understand how to play one pocket and bank pool, and when your merits are questioned you take it too personal.:sorry Matter of fact your merits weren't even questioned, I agreed with your strategy, providing you didn't have another safe option, which you did and failed to realize. Had the safety with the 7ball not been available then I too would bank the 3ball, but not with the 7ball option staring me in the face. And in case you would like to play both positions against me for bragging rights, i'm all for it. You bank the 3ball and i'll play the safety off the 7ball and we'll see who accumulates the most balls that would result from our choices.

I will also play the shot that Reyes played and you can try to hang the 7ball for another bragging rights prop.

Dr. Bill< Foremost authority on all pool games :p

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
(Nether me nor Reyes is kidding, in case you didn't notice Reyes shot the shot that I suggested)

Please don't try to accuse me of chasing you away from the wwyd threads in the one pocket forum, you're acting like your merits of playing any pool game are bible, really. There are many players that understand how to play one pocket and bank pool, and when your merits are questioned you take it too personal.:sorry Matter of fact your merits weren't even questioned, I agreed with your strategy, providing you didn't have another safe option, which you did and failed to realize. Had the safety with the 7ball not been available then I too would bank the 3ball, but not with the 7ball option staring me in the face. And in case you would like to play both positions against me for bragging rights, i'm all for it. You bank the 3ball and i'll play the safety off the 7ball and we'll see who accumulates the most balls that would result from our choices.

I will also play the shot that Reyes played and you can try to hang the 7ball for another bragging rights prop.

Dr. Bill< Foremost authority on all pool games :p

What is nice about really knowing what to do in some situations allows me the privilege of oft times not having to worry about options because fortunately some situations are eternal and always work!
After 57 years of bank pool I have accumulated many of these eternal options. I have just been trying to turn some of these over to the next generation.
Your opposing solutions are not really terrible ones, they will work sometimes, but not with the consistency of the majority of mine.

Efren, or Jesus himself, trying to freeze the cue ball after pocketing the ball hanging in the foot corner would need about 10 tries to accomplish such, based on the position displayed in the diagram. And if the cue ball doesnt turn up dead frozen you are giving up a nice, fairly free straight back for the win.

On that other diagram (Bustamonte vs Hall), (a), I am not 2 to 1 against to make the 3 ball straight back, and (b), I would love to see your return shot after I pocket the 2 ball off of your safety(off of the 7 ball) and easily leave you on the cushion, and then spot up another ball. I would love to hear your simple response.

Beard

The evil by-product of all this is that you discourage others from asking questions and probing further into my solutions because they are intimidated by your bluster (and reputation). Unfortunately for you, you didnt get that rep playing bank pool. You have unwittingly (I hope) become the bank pool version of a cock-blocker.:sorry

Finally, the fact that Efren shot what you wanted (and f'd up) is a very, very weak argument to use in your favor. That is close to saying something like, "That's what Peyton Manning would have shot!":lol

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
What is nice about really knowing what to do in some situations allows me the privilege of oft times not having to worry about options because fortunately some situations are eternal and always work! ( I too have been playing for 50 plus years and also have my reasons for choosing certain shots, however, your solutions are certainly better than all others because their eternal, I see.) After 57 years of bank pool I have accumulated many of these eternal options. I have just been trying to turn some of these over to the next generation. ( I'm not trying to rebut your logic because it makes perfect sense, providing it reflects what the situation actually presents. But you nor anyone else can't say that your choice of options are correct because their your eternal findings when there are other options that are available.)
Your opposing solutions are not really terrible ones, they will work sometimes, but not with the consistency of the majority of mine.R] ( That's a pretty strong statement coming from someone who's win loss record isn't anywhere near what mine is, don't you think so? Or maybe that shouldn't count for something.)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Efren, or Jesus himself, trying to freeze the cue ball after pocketing the ball hanging in the foot corner would need about 10 tries to accomplish such, based on the position displayed in the diagram. ( Just perhaps you don't have the skills to control the cue ball as well as some, and for that fact alone you opt to go in another direction, would that be possible?) And if the cue ball doesnt turn up dead frozen you are giving up a nice, fairly free straight back for the win. (The cue ball doesn't have to be "dead frozen" for the shot to be effective.1/2" from the rail will suffice. And if you have the skills or the touch to execute the shot it's a very viable option considering how the balls are positioned.)

On that other diagram (Bustamonte vs Hall), (a), I am not 2 to 1 against to make the 3 ball straight back, and (b), I would love to see your return shot after I pocket the 2 ball off of your safety(off of the 7 ball) and easily leave you on the cushion, and then spot up another ball. (Once again you're assuming that you will be left the angle on the 2ball to do what you described, however, in a real match things don't always come out as we feel they might. And maybe you're not a 2/1 dog to pocket the bank but it's pretty close to that. And again, for that reason you should look for another option because of the penalty you have if you should happen to miss.)I would love to hear your simple response. ( This is a "what would you do" thread and there are a lot of players that wouldn't shoot the 3ball bank, like there are a lot of players that wouldn't shoot the 7ball safety, however, that doesn't make either of us right or wrong. But your option shouldn't be looked at as the only option, especially when the 7ball safety option is a simple shot to execute to buy some time and get over a situation where it could be a fatal one if you miss.)

Beard

(Top player are more subject to shoot the 3ball bank because of their skill level, however, lesser players would fare much better if they would choose the safety option with the 7ball. Plus it hasn't been decided yet that the 7ball couldn't be turned enough to be pocketed straight back.)

The evil by-product of all this is that you discourage others from asking questions and probing further into my solutions because they are intimidated by your bluster (and reputation). (Once again you're assuming how others think (or should think) and if it's true what you say then their only cheating themselves from learning. I have done commentary with many many champions and have had the luxury of listening to how they think, and what they would do in many different situations. I have learned quite a bit just from being next to them as they shared their insights with our viewing audience. That is what I try to convey to the people/players that are interested in learning a better way to play. And if you think that I should, or would, concur with you because you get insulted by my options not siding with yours, forget it, sorry. I agree with much of what you teach, but not everything because you have blinders on when you teach but you explain things very well and players will learn a lot from you for that reason. But you certainly don't have the market cornered on knowledge.:sorry ) unwittingly (I hope) become the bank pool version of a cock-blocker.:sorry

Finally, the fact that Efren shot what you wanted (and f'd up) is a very, very weak argument to use in your favor. That is close to saying something like, "That's what Peyton Manning would have shot!":lol
( The fact that Reyes chose a shot that I would shoot would make me feel that I just may know something, wouldn't you say?)

Playing bank pool or one pocket are games that require management skills if you're going to compete with the best players. I still can compete with champions because of my management skills not because I shoot straight.

When I participate in the wwyd bank pool threads, it's usually a management suggestion and not a ..how to bank a shot suggestion. There are many many top players that will endorse my management skills when playing one pocket or other games that require good management skills to succeed, just ask around.

Bill Incardona

pvclou

Verified Member
E. Reyes vs. S. Woodward 2013 Tunica

I'll agree emphatically with Incardona that you do explain things VERY well, señor Beard. Banking with the Beard was my first ever pool book, and I picked it because of your incisive exposition. No one's contradictions lessen the weight of your contributions to me.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Rather than post all the previous comments and then reply to them, I'l just comment separately.

Nobody ever said you dont have excellent management skills in pool. Actually, you manage very well. You, just dont manage as well as I do in bank pool. :sorry (We will leave the one pocket area up for a different discussion. Thats at least a close call.) You say many top players endorse your management skills, and I agree. However, if you asked players like Truman Hogue, Piggy Banks, Tony Fargo, etc.,etc., about who's management they would prefer in bank pool, well, need I say more. Oh yeah, forgot to mention Parica, and Efren Reyes. Now that is something we could get a bet going on.

You threw up win/loss record into your argument as a determining factor. But lets get real. Lets deal with execution. The reality is that you could have spotted me the six ball playing 9 ball, maybe even the five, yet I still competed with the best players in the world- playing both bank and 1pkt. Hard to keep a good win/loss record with that act. (Notwithstanding my win/loss record in Bensingers, which on the other hand was exceptional when it came to playing with top players there.)

Now lets take the reverse of the, "he's the 5 or 6 ball under, in executional skills," and add that factor to my game. How do you think anybody would like that? In short races in tournaments, even lately, I have beaten some of the country's best bankers without being able to make anything further than 4 or 5 feet away. Forget about ever making a 6 ft straight back.

Beard

This is turning unpleasant and I really want to get away from it. I have been doing quite well since I got away from whatshisname and the other guy. I certainly aint looking to fight to have to give something away. I used to pick up Joe Procita's laundry, drive him home, buy him lunch, etc., just to be able to ask him a few pool questions.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Rather than post all the previous comments and then reply to them, I'l just comment separately.

Nobody ever said you dont have excellent management skills in pool. Actually, you manage very well. You, just dont manage as well as I do in bank pool. :sorry (We will leave the one pocket area up for a different discussion. Thats at least a close call.) You say many top players endorse your management skills, and I agree. However, if you asked players like Truman Hogue, Piggy Banks, Tony Fargo, etc.,etc., about who's management they would prefer in bank pool, well, need I say more. Oh yeah, forgot to mention Parica, and Efren Reyes. Now that is something we could get a bet going on.

You threw up win/loss record into your argument as a determining factor. But lets get real. Lets deal with execution. The reality is that you could have spotted me the six ball playing 9 ball, maybe even the five, yet I still competed with the best players in the world- playing both bank and 1pkt. Hard to keep a good win/loss record with that act. (Notwithstanding my win/loss record in Bensingers, which on the other hand was exceptional when it came to playing with top players there.)

Now lets take the reverse of the, "he's the 5 or 6 ball under, in executional skills," and add that factor to my game. How do you think anybody would like that? In short races in tournaments, even lately, I have beaten some of the country's best bankers without being able to make anything further than 4 or 5 feet away. Forget about ever making a 6 ft straight back.

Beard

This is turning unpleasant and I really want to get away from it. I have been doing quite well since I got away from whatshisname and the other guy. I certainly aint looking to fight to have to give something away. I used to pick up Joe Procita's laundry, drive him home, buy him lunch, etc., just to be able to ask him a few pool questions.
I have never questioned your knowledge or management skills playing one pocket and for sure bank pool, and it would be appreciated if you would show me the same respect. Your recognition of axioms as they present themselves are outstanding, that married with your ability to explain things in a way only you can makes for a great learning experience. But like I said in an earlier post.."You don't have the market cornered on knowledge"

The option that I suggested in the Bustamante thread on banking the 7ball is a viable option considering the circumstances, and it would certainly be an option for many players. You took that as an attack against your suggestion of banking the 5ball, but what you failed to recognize was what you said.

The fact that you have little other choice should make you more comfortable shooting at this ball.

My contention was to offer an option with the 7ball bank, not to undermine your suggestion of the 5ball bank, as you felt based off of your response, imo. but to give players an understanding of what other options may be available so they can make (or develop) a better understanding of the situation.

Lastly, your understanding of both one pocket and bank pool are an equal to your ego.

Have a good day.:p

Bill Incardona

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Lastly, your understanding of both one pocket and bank pool are an equal to your ego.

Bill Incardona[/QUOTE]

Finally, something we can agree on.

Beard

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Just a comment on the shot. Some folks advocated the 7 either back or across. I admit I am a stone rookie but from the overhead I think it's a kiss. That would dang sure sell out.

JMO, Pel

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
try this

try this

I would bank the 7 ball back one rail in the side pocket. If it goes in i will play safe off the hung ball.