Dr. Bill's reasoning's. (practical thinking)

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
YOU ARE DR. BILL FOR ONE SHOT

This lesson is designed for the purpose of educating those who may be interested in how to develop a strong position and protect it. I will go through my thinking process which helped me sort out what not to do and why. Of course, everyone thinks differently, here's my take on the above thread on the situation that I put up.

When I initially set up the position I set it up so not to be able to pocket any ball on the side rail. Perhaps I took for granted that the 14/2 combination was not pocketable and left it at that. Even looking at the combination from the picture it looks to be a very difficult shot, one that shouldn't be taken when you consider that there were other options that looked much better. IMO. For argument's sake, let's assume that the combination was more pocketable, then the question would be what's the % of pocketing the combination and getting shape for the next ball? That falls under one's ability to strike balls, which is now a moot point.

There are five possible options that went through my mind as I was at the table pondering my best chance of winning from the position we are looking at. I'll explain each one and why I chose the breakout option with the built-in safety.

The five options that were available are the 5ball, the 13ball, the 5-13 combination, the 13ball/safety, and the last shot that no one noticed and was very appealing. The two rail kick into the 9ball sending the cue ball back up the table with the 13/5 as potential blockers from the newly developed position.

The 13ball option was very appealing and one of my top choices but the 5ball precluded me from dropping low enough on the 9ball to do immediate damage and possibly win. Yes I could have stayed high on the side rail then shot the 9ball and possibly the 6ball but that task seemed somewhat daunting so I weighed my other options while burdened with the 13ball option haunting me.:confused: The 5ball option was too tough of a shot with marginal position potential, so I immediately passed on that one. Yes, I could of (wishful thinking) pocketed the 5ball with warp speed and smashed the pack and ran out but I saved that shot for when I was at my computer.:rolleyes: Let's look at the 13/5 combination breakout option with the 5ball doing damage as well. The problem with this option was controlling the cue ball. I could have hit the 13ball squarely and drew the cue ball back, but then I would expose my position leaving the cue ball in space allowing ny opponent to play a return shot comfortably. I didn't have the ability to fall to the side rail with the cue ball then into the stack, the angle didn't allow me to do that because of the apparent confrontation with the 5ball kissing the cue ball while in route. So I dismissed anything involved with the 13/5 combination. I really liked the two rail kick into the 9ball, that option would send balls toward my side while sending the cue ball back up table utilizing the 13/5 as a blocker. Yum-yum. This option was very appealing but I felt that the 9ball, and 6ball were always going to be good balls for me and not for my opponent so leave them where they are and perhaps at a later time I'll use them to win with. Not to mention that the congestion on the side rail was still a problem.:( Finally I looked atb the 13ball takeout with the natural angle off the carom to fall into the side of the stack which I really liked because it was a natural shot with a 99% success rate, plus the 9ball and 6ball would still be there as threats along with my newly developed position opening up the congestion on the side rail.

I finally chose the shot that I shot because of the guarantee it carried, along with the potential it offered. It was a hard decision but one that I was comfortable with.

A BIRD IN THE HAND

Dr. Bill

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Billy, suppose you hit the stripe on the rail, next to the 14. Slide it thru the gap and move the 2 ball. Or hit it rail first, enabling Jojo to cross to the other side without hitting the stack. You would break up the clot and move the 2 much closer to your pocket. Save the 13-5 for later - it's fine where it is. Thanks -

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Billy, suppose you hit the stripe on the rail, next to the 14. Slide it thru the gap and move the 2 ball. Or hit it rail first, enabling Jojo to cross to the other side without hitting the stack. You would break up the clot and move the 2 much closer to your pocket. Save the 13-5 for later - it's fine where it is. Thanks -

Bill, there's nothing natural with your option. The angles, distance, and speed needed to do what you say are not there.I suggest you go to the table and experiment with both your option and mine. Develop the feel for both options and decide for yourself.

Dr. Bill

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Bill, I did that, but not until after I posted. (Terrible approach, I know) The speed is wrong, and the angle also, and Jojo rolls against the stack. But the result was not bad at all. Bad idea. Why didn't somebody stop me? :eek: