Down 2-1 WWYD

Island Drive

Verified Member
I'm aiming at the 9/3 combo, banking the one off bottom rail and up, and pinch squeezing a shot on the 11 into my hole, a free shot. The way the shot lays, it allows a natural cue ball to land on the bottom rail close to the six if the 11 is made. I like the way all the balls will be moving with a firm hit 3 o'clock cue ball. My only concern is the 8 ball carom could come into play. But hitting the 9/11 carom from the top down, pushes the combo so as to just miss clipping the 8..

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Jerry, this option is a very strong move playing one pocket and is grossly overlooked. Thanks for posting this move, really don't remember the last time I played this type of shot but it's certainly a shot that will often negate the perceived advantage your opponent may have. Once the balls are opened with the force needed to rearrange them (hard force) the trapping options will be limited for your opponent and further development of his position will be much more difficult because of the now threatening balls that should be opened on your side of the table.

Dr. Bill
:sorry. With all due respect, I fail to see the value of this shot. I'm trying to make sense of it, but it escapes me. You're blasting the 6 into the bottom of the stack and sticking the CB close to where the 6 used to be, correct? Looks like you are opening more balls to your opponents side with the CB left in a spot that favors him.... ??? I would never have thought this type of shot would benefit the shooter, if it's correct, and I assume it is, being endorsed by two great players, then I have learned a valuable shot...

wincardona

Verified Member
:sorry. With all due respect, I fail to see the value of this shot. I'm trying to make sense of it, but it escapes me. You're blasting the 6 into the bottom of the stack and sticking the CB close to where the 6 used to be, correct? Looks like you are opening more balls to your opponents side with the CB left in a spot that favors him.... ??? I would never have thought this type of shot would benefit the shooter, if it's correct, and I assume it is, being endorsed by two great players, then I have learned a valuable shot...
Jeff, this type of shot may show in different ways, take this situation as an example. The way the balls are configured opening them up by banking the 6ball with force will rearrange the balls, hopefully several balls will end up on your side of the table which will then make it difficult for your opponent to send the cue ball up table. Unfortunately this particular lay out the way the 6ball is positioned and the balls are configured the possibility of protecting balls that end up on your side of the table is lessened simply because the stack will be gone leaving the balls exposed to your opponent to do what he can do, based off of how they end up.? Make sense?

There will be situations that are similar to this one where after you bank the ball into the stack only a few balls may loosen up on your side of the table and the remaining balls in the stack area will protect the balls on your side that were loosened up. This type of a situation is a stronger move for the shooter than the situation we are looking at now because the balls will be protected by the stack after the ball is banked into the stack area. In this situation there will be most likely no remaining balls in the stack area after the 6ball is banked into the balls, therefore exposing the balls that may end up on your side. That's the reason I said earlier that "hopefully" two or more balls may end up on your side of the table which will then make it more difficult for your opponent to play an up table shot with the cue ball.

I know this sounds confusing to some, hopefully there are those who understand the strength of the shot and when it shows they can take advantage of the option if presented.

In a nut shell..this type of option is designed to open up balls to your side of the table so your opponent doesn't have free reign to play the cue ball any where he desires, had balls not been positioned on your side of the table.:)

Dr. Bill

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Jeff, this type of shot may show in different ways, take this situation as an example. The way the balls are configured opening them up by banking the 6ball with force will rearrange the balls, hopefully several balls will end up on your side of the table which will then make it difficult for your opponent to send the cue ball up table. Unfortunately this particular lay out the way the 6ball is positioned and the balls are configured the possibility of protecting balls that end up on your side of the table is lessened simply because the stack will be gone leaving the balls exposed to your opponent to do what he can do, based off of how they end up.? Make sense?

There will be situations that are similar to this one where after you bank the ball into the stack only a few balls may loosen up on your side of the table and the remaining balls in the stack area will protect the balls on your side that were loosened up. This type of a situation is a stronger move for the shooter than the situation we are looking at now because the balls will be protected by the stack after the ball is banked into the stack area. In this situation there will be most likely no remaining balls in the stack area after the 6ball is banked into the balls, therefore exposing the balls that may end up on your side. That's the reason I said earlier that "hopefully" two or more balls may end up on your side of the table which will then make it more difficult for your opponent to play an up table shot with the cue ball.

I know this sounds confusing to some, hopefully there are those who understand the strength of the shot and when it shows they can take advantage of the option if presented.

In a nut shell..this type of option is designed to open up balls to your side of the table so your opponent doesn't have free reign to play the cue ball any where he desires, had balls not been positioned on your side of the table.:)

Dr. Bill
I fully understand the strength of opening balls to my side and having a buffer zone of balls in between, this type of shot is one I am always looking for, particularly early in the game while the stack is mostly in tact. However the angle presented in this situation never would have lead me to the proposed shot. I now see some value in it, I'm just not positive the value outweighs the detriment in this specific example.

It does however enlighten me to other similar situations where the angles are slightly different and the value of banking a ball into the stack off the foot rail would loosen balls to my side and they would be protected. I will use it, I have learned to look in a new direction and consider another type of shot.

Thank you

LSJohn

Verified Member

Dr. Bill
What made me think the shot was good here was the fact that 5 balls are wide open to opponent's pocket. Looks like you'd have to be pretty unlucky not to come out with a much improved situation. I would never have thought of the shot, but if Jerry likes it and you like it, I LOVE it. :)

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
I don't agree with Jerry or Dr.Bill I would hit the 6 ball on right side with high left on cue ball banking 6 on my side and trying to control cue on back rail near his pocket. have patience and you will get a better shot to move balls from his side later. my opinion only

baby huey

Verified Member
There is no good shot where you can move balls close to your hole and provide cover. I'm shooting my shot (banking the six into the stack) because it provides me an opportunity to improve my position tactically. I don't want my opponent to put a ball by his hole and send me up table where all I can do is bunt my way into a safety. What I like most is that I can create movement of balls and leave the cue ball on the rail.

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
The balls are laying pretty good for your opponent. I probably would just strike the six with good pace into the stack make sure to leave the cueball on the rail and #1 rearrange the balls and #2 move some up table.
There is no good shot where you can move balls close to your hole and provide cover. I'm shooting my shot (banking the six into the stack) because it provides me an opportunity to improve my position tactically. I don't want my opponent to put a ball by his hole and send me up table where all I can do is bunt my way into a safety. What I like most is that I can create movement of balls and leave the cue ball on the rail.
I also like banking the 6 into the stack and rearranging the balls. The only downside I see is leaving the cueball nearer to my pocket than his leaving him access to balls on my side.

All in all, except for passive safeties off the 6 or 7 this is the shot I like to make something happen.

Dennis

NH Steve

Administrator
One thing you guys did not mention about the "bank the 6 into the stack and stick the cue ball on the bottom rail" shot, is that shot is for those of you who think you are favored in what is almost certain to become an "uptable game". Not everyone plays that kind game that well. Once a shot like that is played, it is almost like a commitment to that kind of game so if you are shooting it, be confident that you will like where the game is likely to be headed.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
I'm for moving the six to my side of the table with a half ball hit and using the cluster as cover for it. This at least gives me one more protected soldier on my side of the table. This shot also gives me a pretty good idea of what return shot to expect from my opponent. I hate to be surprised by good players responses to my shots.

As for the shot sending the six into the stack and sticking the rock on the foot rail. This is purely a defensive shot and nothing more. If it works, and no decent straight back bank is given up you are sure to be looking at an up table game. Some people are comfortable with that style of play, so that shot may be fine for them. That is unless they don't quite hold the stone to the rail or they surrender that safe straight back.

Tom

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I'm for moving the six to my side of the table with a half ball hit and using the cluster as cover for it. This at least gives me one more protected soldier on my side of the table. This shot also gives me a pretty good idea of what return shot to expect from my opponent. I hate to be surprised by good players responses to my shots.

As for the shot sending the six into the stack and sticking the rock on the foot rail. This is purely a defensive shot and nothing more. If it works, and no decent straight back bank is given up you are sure to be looking at an up table game. Some people are comfortable with that style of play, so that shot may be fine for them. That is unless they don't quite hold the stone to the rail or they surrender that safe straight back.

Tom
I agree 100 % with everything you just said

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
Players who are uncomfortable playing an uptable game should definitely play the passive safety off the 6 or 7 balls.

I play uptable, downtable, entire table, I don't care where the balls are or where they go and never think about it in regards to what type safety I'll be playing, it's not a valid limitation on my choices. I cannot stop my opponent from shooting.

I had this drawn up last night but saw no need to post it as it was obvious what would likely happen if a player banked the 6 into the 1 with a fair amount of speed. The 9 would probably travel farther than any ball and a few balls in the stack would be moved around. The 6 might go to his side rail and back out to center table.

WARNING: For those who can't figure it out, the arrows and lines indicate directions and possible paths, not necessarily the ONLY paths. They do not always indicate the final resting place of balls (cueball or object balls).

Perhaps those who treat these layouts from others as gospel should start posting their own layouts and subject them to critique from the readers.

Dennis

down 2 1.jpg

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
Players who are uncomfortable playing an uptable game should definitely play the passive safety off the 6 or 7 balls.

I play uptable, downtable, entire table, I don't care where the balls are or where they go and never think about it in regards to what type safety I'll be playing, it's not a valid limitation on my choices. I cannot stop my opponent from shooting.

I had this drawn up last night but saw no need to post it as it was obvious what would likely happen if a player banked the 6 into the 1 with a fair amount of speed. The 9 would probably travel farther than any ball and a few balls in the stack would be moved around. The 6 might go to his side rail and back out to center table.

WARNING: For those who can't figure it out, the arrows and lines indicate directions and possible paths, not necessarily the ONLY paths. They do not always indicate the final resting place of balls (cueball or object balls).

Perhaps those who treat these layouts from others as gospel should start posting their own layouts and subject them to critique from the readers.

Dennis

View attachment 14819
Looks like if one were willing to cut the 6 a little more to hit the outside of the 1 -- accepting inferior CB placement -- ball movement is much greater. Might be worth it, might not, but worth considering IMO.