Donn vs. Ray 1 - end game - wwyd?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Ray's shot, his pocket is at the bottom right - Ray's an old school straight pool player still learning One Pocket --- the ball score is 6-5, Donn ahead, both going to 8 --- Ray's in a tough spot, needing to come up with a safety without leaving Donn a cut shot or a bank shot of any kind.....wwyd?

p.s. the 13 is frozen to the rail, and the 8 can be cut in from that area without scratching in the side pocket. >>>

Attachments

lll

Verified Member
Make the eight in the side
and float behind the one ball
To use as a blocker
Or cross the 11 come back to the foot rail
I like #1 bettet

Island Drive

Verified Member
Distance, now we both have 2 balls on each side

Distance, now we both have 2 balls on each side

Bank the 15 to my side, cue ball back to the foot rail, cue ball about a diamond away from my pocket.

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
Make the eight in the side
and float behind the one ball
To use as a blocker
Or cross the 11 come back to the foot rail
I like #1 bettet
I like making the 8 too Larry, but I am too afraid of the potential scratch to roll down to the 1 so I will settle on using the 11 as a blocker.

Edit - it looks like after looking at it again, if you make the 8 in the side with follow you go up to the long rail and then snuggle in behind the 1 so good call Larry and if you dont get there you may still have the 11 blocking it ~

Island Drive

Verified Member
I like making the 8 too Larry, but I am too afraid of the potential scratch to roll down to the 1 so I will settle on using the 11 as a blocker.

Edit - it looks like after looking at it again, if you make the 8 in the side with follow you go up to the long rail and then snuggle in behind the 1 so good call Larry and if you dont get there you may still have the 11 blocking it ~
What about the one ball bank after your shot?

youngstownkid

Verified Member

In a bad spot long and on the rail, so going with a simple shot - Cut the 8 thin on the left side just hard enough send CB above my side pocket. I expect to be back on the foot rail again but this next time the 8 won’t be a concern.

Island Drive

Verified Member
Wouldn't that leave a 2 rail bank on the 15 ?
Your opponent will also have two balls on his side to hide behind.

Hardmix

Verified Member
If you are hell bent a on leaving nothing, then there are 2 shots that I see. First is to float off the edge if the 8 to long/short rail and try to lock up behind the 1. If you miss getting behind the 1 the 8 should be pretty close to the long rail leaving a very difficult bank at best. Obviously this is a pretty dicey shot with the corner pocket looming large. The 2nd option is to take a intentional locking up on the back side of 1.

For me, I would probably kick the 1 up by the side pocket and take my chances. Don should think twice about shoot with the 13 sitting on my long rail.

youngstownkid

Verified Member

Wouldn't that leave a 2 rail bank on the 15 ?

Your opponent will also have two balls on his side to hide behind.

That’s possible depending how it ends up. My first thought was Larry’s shot but if I came up short I might leave a straight back on the 1. My second thought was what you suggested but I didn’t want to leave a straight back on the 1.

youngstownkid

Verified Member

If you are hell bent a on leaving nothing, then there are 2 shots that I see. First is to float off the edge if the 8 to long/short rail and try to lock up behind the 1. If you miss getting behind the 1 the 8 should be pretty close to the long rail leaving a very difficult bank at best. Obviously this is a pretty dicey shot with the corner pocket looming large. The 2nd option is to take a intentional locking up on the back side of 1.

For me, I would probably kick the 1 up by the side pocket and take my chances. Don should think twice about shoot with the 13 sitting on my long rail.

I think we’re talking about different pockets

Island Drive

Verified Member
That’s possible depending how it ends up. My first thought was Larry’s shot but if I came up short I might leave a straight back on the 1. My second thought was what you suggested but I didn’t want to leave a straight back on the 1.
Keep in mind, the bank on the 15 is a natural 12 o'clock cue ball, up and back. Nothing but speed and feel. Distance is too your benefit putting em back on the foot rail. I'm thinking the 15 will bank long and come out 3 rails to about the first diamond on the head rail.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I would bank the 8 ball just short of my side pocket 2 rails and come out so that he has no natural bank on the 1 but can back bank the 11 but the 8 ball is in play by my side pocket if he does.
He can draw back and not leave me a cut, but the 8 being repositioned there is something to contend with, not just giving him a totally free shot.

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
skin the 8 down the rail and bring the cueball over. said before in the thread.

or if your opponent isnt a long range shooter pocket the 13 and leave him down on the short rail. let him shoot and sellout something, as you are down a ball here.

beatle

Verified Member
they arent shooting at anything down there because their pockets are at the other end of the table.

how about when posting a wwyd identify the pocket by whats near it or something like that. top or bottom is too confusing it seems.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
they arent shooting at anything down there because their pockets are at the other end of the table.

how about when posting a wwyd identify the pocket by whats near it or something like that. top or bottom is too confusing it seems.
I always just try to find the spot on the table to know which end if it's confusing, but I hear you, I have gotten pockets mixed up myself in some WWYD's in the past!

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
they arent shooting at anything down there because their pockets are at the other end of the table...:lol.:rolleyes::rolleyes:.:lol

how about when posting a wwyd identify the pocket by whats near it or something like that. Nope...
The Ghost is always moving = I wan't to keep all these chuckleheads shooting at the wrong pocket so that it'll be ingrained in their head and zombie-like they'll do the same thing when they're playing me...:eek:...:heh

- Ghost