Donn vs. Pete 2 wwyd?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
I'd say high percentage. First thing I looked at. But; making a mess sending balls the wrong way and 'hoping' to have a second shot with a bank or some other lucky roll. Balls might bank back favorably but that's a lot of movement for difficult to predict results.

I like Sappo's shot much more.
Thanks, Sappo! I know it is not the right shot as you are pointing out, of course. I just wanted to know how players thought about their chances of making it. Now if there was another ob in near vicinity that a guy might get shape on then we might give it more consideration.
I'll set it up and see if I make it first try, after that it does not really matter does it. thanks again, Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Whitey, lol...I was only kidding when I said only one choice allowed...and besides, only Steve allows, or disallows things round here...

And secondly...what you advised Larry is 1,000,000 correct....of course, while removing/banking the 3 over to your side, you also have your cueball come off of the long rail to end up behind the 2.
Thanks Ghost, and I might add for those kicking to get up against the 2, it is important to try and get the cb frozen or as close to possible to the rail, for otherwise there is a fairly good return shot off the 3 having the cb lock up on the 6. Preferably you need to lock up on the 2 so the 3 can be seen, and that is not easy for it appears you have to put left spin on the cb to get there. Whitey

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
If it was high % to go off the 3 and behind the 2 , thats my first choice ,if I have to use too much finesse on that shot , I would just kick into the 2
Of course if you watched the Diliberto Crane match , both of them would have shot the bank and probably made it ,
Everyday Joe will sell out shooting it ,about 8 out of 10

lll

Verified Member
i like this since it stops him from banking the stripe and gets one on my side
View attachment 432145
Larry why not add hiding the cb behind the 2 now that you have removed his obvious return shot off the 3 hiding the cb behind the 6. Respectfully, Whitey
And secondly...what you advised Larry is 1,000,000 correct....of course, while removing/banking the 3 over to your side, you also have your cueball spin down off of the long rail to end up behind the 2.
it would be great to put the cue ball behind the 2
but to my eye I need to draw the ball and the force/ angle I need will not keep the 3 close to side rail and or below the side pocket Where my diagram Shows I would like it
if you guys can do it it definitely adds strength to the shot
so I showed what I would/ could do
thats why I need more work on my game
thanks for the critique
thats how I learn :)
edit to add
i tried this at the table and there was no way i could get behind the 2 AND get the 3 in a threatening spot so he couldnt bank the stripe
i would like to hear of others results if you get a chance to try it on the table
one more edit
i do have a bank on my stripe if he banks his stripe

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
The shot is Keith's imo .. it is also the most difficult. That's my shot also but If I didn't feel it at the table im coming off the 3 and putting him behind the 2.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
I’m in the camp that believes it will be difficult, ( not impossible ) to bank the 7 and miss the 10... i believe it could be done with a high cb and some speed, but there’s a risk using that speed and that risk is selling out the 2 ball if the cb is to hot coming off the 4th rail...

I see a shot that I would probably shoot at the table... kick the 2 with two tips of low left and medium speed, enough speed to move the 2 over to my long rail below the side pocket. With a decent hit on the 2 the cb should spin off the foot rail into and behind the 11 ball...be ok if it snuggled up tight to the 11...

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Let's see how much guts my keyboard fingers have! Shoot into the 3 with power, cb coming off side rail into the 2 and moving balls to my side.

I like this wwyd vs. the lock up wwyd's we have been doing! thanks, for the break from those, Ghost! We got options!!!!
My shot selections are about 0 for 12 in picking what the shooter actually does. Not that I am trying, but what does that tell me! Whitey

jtompilot

Verified Member
I’m in the camp that believes it will be difficult, ( not impossible ) to bank the 7 and miss the 10... i believe it could be done with a high cb and some speed, but there’s a risk using that speed and that risk is selling out the 2 ball if the cb is to hot coming off the 4th rail...

I see a shot that I would probably shoot at the table... kick the 2 with two tips of low left and medium speed, enough speed to move the 2 over to my long rail below the side pocket. With a decent hit on the 2 the cb should spin off the foot rail into and behind the 11 ball...be ok if it snuggled up tight to the 11...
I seriously doubt you could hit the 10 if you tried. The goal for me in banking the 7 is for the QB to go three rail to below the side pocket leaving 3 as a blocker, almost straight in shape.

The 2 is also a good shot. Both have pluses and minuses

cincy_kid

Verified Member
You could also bank the 3 cross corner towards your pocket and send the CB 3/4 rails around and behind the 2.

sappo

Verified Member
The balls lay nice to bank 7 ball and take the cue ball 3/4 rails down to Pete's pocket. Keith
I just shot my shot several times and while I can dodge the hitting the balls on the top rail I can't get the cue ball far enough down the table by Petes pocket. So now being smarter than I was yesterday I would not shoot that bank. Keith

wincardona

Verified Member
It would be difficult for me to leave the 2ball where it is considering not only how close it's positioned to the pocket but also the possibility of the 1-11-2 combination that seems very makeable from up-table. With this understanding, I would then kick at the 2ball to position the 2ball near my side pocket. This type of kick is easy to judge hitting higher on the side rail with left English, than going into the meat of the 2ball. The cue ball should then stick where the 2ball was positioned. Now the 2ball will be on your side of the table and your opponent will be stuck behind the 11ball.

Dr. Bill

Hardmix

Verified Member
I am really surprised at the passive responses in this wwyd. I am in the offensive camp here with the 7.....maybe I have it wrong but I don’t think so.

Kybanks

Verified Member
I just shot my shot several times and while I can dodge the hitting the balls on the top rail I can't get the cue ball far enough down the table by Petes pocket. So now being smarter than I was yesterday I would not shoot that bank. Keith
[/QUOT

It didn't look like the 7 ball was thin enough to shoot the bank easy. It looked like max spin was required to get the cb to travel

baby huey

Verified Member
My first inclination is to shoot the easy kick safety on the two ball. However, you would leave a pretty good straight back on the ball up table with position available. I think that the straight back on the seven ball with the cueball traveling three rails is the better choice. Additionally, your six ball provides nice sideboards for the seven ball.

jtompilot

Verified Member
Your not supposed to get it by Pete’s pocket. Play shape on the 3