Donn vs. Pete 1 wwyd?

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Keith has it right, play off the 3ball with the correct speed to position the cue ball behind the 10ball, from there you have the advantage. When your opponent plays off the 10ball to try to freeze you on the rail between the 10 and the rail you then bank the 15ball. now you have a strong position. If you position the cue ball between the 10 and the rail hows he gonna like it? The next time he comes to the table you will have three balls by your pocket with your opponent nine feet away near the top rail.The key to this option is positioning the cue ball between the 10ball and the rail, once he's there he has to play your game..

Dr. Bill
So Bill, Why do you think the opponent will play off the 10 ball? To get the cue ball behind the 10 the 3 will likely end up along the foot rail. Playing the 3 into the 11 will likely push both balls toward the middle of the foot rail unless it's hit perfectly. Great shot if he can pull it off.

If it were I having to respond to that hook shot on the 10, I would roll onto the 1 or 15 leaving him straight in on the 11. Now there is no cover, and shooting from the top rail at either the 11 or 3 and jacked up won't be fun. And that's only if he manages to execute the hook shot properly. If he's a little off and let's me see the 11, Pete better look out because I now have the cross corner on the 11. Moving that 11 to my side and leaving the cue ball almost anywhere near the head rail could be a killer.

I still think the 1 can be banked long and the cue ball held near the 15. I don't know Pete's game. I don't know what was going on in his mind at the time. I'm not at that table, so I can't say without hesitation that the shot can be played, but from the look of it, I see it as more than possible. If it can it's the best option. Because Ghost has let it be known Pete didn't shoot the two rail bank, and from Ghost's comment, he apparently didn't look at it either, we'll never know for sure, will we?

Tom

Last edited:

J.R.

Verified Member
I like softly sending the 3 ball past the right side of the 11 ball having it rest right in front of my pocket and drawing whitey to the side rail. Best cue ball location behind/ on top of the 10 ball. If I get right on the 10 ball his in big trouble. If he can see the 2 balls by my hole he has to deal with both of them. I don't like the bank on the 10 and leaving him doubled on the 5 because he my just shoot it and get out. K
I also like sending the 3-ball past the right side of the 11-ball while hiding the cue ball behind the 10-ball. If the shot is executed as planned it then becomes a "cat-and-mouse" game from there until someone hiccups.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
Cincy Kid,
I like your shot! You could change it up a bit, and add another element to it, and shot your selection is what made this apparent to me.
Cut the 8 and bring the cb back into the 15-1 combo use the 3 to block instead of the 10.
It just adds another ball in play on your side.. thanks for your shot selection, it is a good one IMO.

My shot selection is probably not as good as your shot selection, just another one. Whitey
Thanks Whitey! I think the 8 requires too much CB speed to get safe IMO...

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I dont mind the 3 shot that some like stunning over behind the 10 but it seems easier for me to get there from the end rail than stunning over..

also what happens if you make the 3/11 combo, what's your next shot behind the 10?

edit: Unless you are not snuggling under the 10, maybe you are just placing the CB on the long rail to triple him up, if that's the case then you will be able to shoot the 3 next most likely...but if you miss the combo they will have a cross corner or take out shot next.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
Two rail the one ball. Stop the rock. When playing the two rail shot, keep the one ball off the back rail. Leave it along your side rail attempting to hide it behind the three. If successful, there will be no angle to move the 11 out.

Tom
T. it's not 2 rail-able.

wincardona

Verified Member
So Bill, Why do you think the opponent will play off the 10 ball? To get the cue ball behind the 10 the 3 will likely end up along the foot rail. Playing the 3 into the 11 will likely push both balls toward the middle of the foot rail unless it's hit perfectly. Great shot if he can pull it off.

If it were I having to respond to that hook shot on the 10, I would roll onto the 1 or 15 leaving him straight in on the 11. Now there is no cover, and shooting from the top rail at either the 11 or 3 and jacked up won't be fun. And that's only if he manages to execute the hook shot properly. If he's a little off and let's me see the 11, Pete better look out because I now have the cross corner on the 11. Moving that 11 to my side and leaving the cue ball almost anywhere near the head rail could be a killer.

I still think the 1 can be banked long and the cue ball held near the 15. I don't know Pete's game. I don't know what was going on in his mind at the time. I'm not at that table, so I can't say without hesitation that the shot can be played, but from the look of it, I see it as more than possible. If it can it's the best option. Because Ghost has let it be known Pete didn't shoot the two rail bank, and from Ghost's comment, he apparently didn't look at it either, we'll never know for sure, will we?

Tom
Tom, all my focus will be positioning the cue ball behind the 10ball hitting it with a soft speed. The 3ball will not reach the bottom rail which will create two makeable balls for me the next time I come back to the table. My opponent will be at a clear disadvantage regardless of what he chooses to do. If he chooses to play into either the 1ball or 15ball I will have offensive and defensive options.

Dr. Bill

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Thank you Bill, Hooking the cue ball on the 10 works well as long as you can keep the 3 ball from laying on the foot rail. Otherwise you may end up in trouble with this shot.

Tom

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Thanks Whitey! I think the 8 requires too much CB speed to get safe IMO...
I would make sure to prioritize the cb control, but of course I want to control the 8 for the ultimate goal is to protect the 8 and the 11 by coming up against the 15 and having the 3 provide the coverage. Of course I am the only one that has picked this shot, so what does that tell you!

I like everyone else's selections, I feel they all have merit.
I could not reach your shot being left handed, and I do not have the touch to come off the 3 and get behind the 10, and Tom's shot just does not look like it is there. So this is wwyd.
Maybe Tom can render up an opinion as to what is the next best shot if his shot is in fact not available as Ghost states. Tom's opinion of course is highly regarded. thanks, Whitey

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
sorry tom, i misread your post.. i thought you meant the cueball to the long rail.
however i cant see from the pics how the two rail on the one would work. but pics are hard to tell.
as for my shot.
and if he then made the 15 after i shot the one in. then i would have the angle i want for cutting the 8 ball in.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
Another shot... double bank the 3...but play it short so you avoid hitting the 8 on the way back down to your pocket.

Low RHE draw CB to head rail then spin takes it on his long rail tripling him up.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Tom's shot just does not look like it is there.
Correct Whitey....and re. my not having taken a pic from that angle...a solution occurred to me 💡...

I took the 4th/final pic that you see in my original post and turned it upside down...this results in presenting/viewing the angle towards the unavailable 2-rail bank...in doing this, the pic gets warped a little, but it displays what was the true positional relationship between the cueball, 15ball and 1ball - clearly showing how the 15ball was blocking the 2-railing of the 1ball. Here's that upside down pic (don't get dizzy looking at it, lol) >>>

0066.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Well, not to belabor the cans and can nots with my shot choice but when setting up the situation as closely as I can,given the various photos available, I was able to execute to shot. Did I set them up precisely as they were in the photos? In all likelihood, no. How could I? No one could. Now with a little manipulation of any of the three critical balls, I was no longer able to play the shot. It is that close. This is the main reason I'm sometimes reluctant to post my opinions. The critical position of some of the balls tends to sometimes (there's that word again) become the focal point instead of the merits of the shot choice. I stress "Sometimes" Photos can be deceiving. Even when the photographer works hard to provide numerous angles of the situation. there is nothing like being at the table. Don't you think we should all keep that in mind when discussing these very close wwyd situations?

Now Whitey suggested I offer an alternative solution. Thank you Whitey for asking. Well I set up (was it Keith's shot?) Anyway, the shot Dr. Bill most recently wrote about, and I was able to pass the 11 with the 3, get the cue ball hooked on the 10 and leave the 3 near the pocket without having it lay on the foot rail. This option was not very difficult to execute multiple times. My first attempt was fine. One other time I actually albeit, accidentally made the combination, and one other time I failed to get the 3 or cue ball to a rail. Still the leave was ideal.
I'll go with this shot as my alternative.

BTW Ghosty, the upside down image didn't help in my case. But thanks for trying.

Tom

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
Bank carom the fifteen ball into the short rail hitting the one ball and the fifteen ball goes up table and you've hooked him with the three ball on the eleven. Stick the rock on the short rail.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Well, not to belabor the cans and can nots with my shot choice but when setting up the situation as closely as I can,given the various photos available, I was able to execute to shot. Did I set them up precisely as they were in the photos? In all likelihood, no. How could I? No one could. Now with a little manipulation of any of the three critical balls, I was no longer able to play the shot. It is that close. This is the main reason I'm sometimes reluctant to post my opinions. The critical position of some of the balls tends to sometimes (there's that word again) become the focal point instead of the merits of the shot choice. I stress "Sometimes" Photos can be deceiving. Even when the photographer works hard to provide numerous angles of the situation. there is nothing like being at the table. Don't you think we should all keep that in mind when discussing these very close wwyd situations?

Now Whitey suggested I offer an alternative solution. Thank you Whitey for asking. Well I set up (was it Keith's shot?) Anyway, the shot Dr. Bill most recently wrote about, and I was able to pass the 11 with the 3, get the cue ball hooked on the 10 and leave the 3 near the pocket without having it lay on the foot rail. This option was not very difficult to execute multiple times. My first attempt was fine. One other time I actually albeit, accidentally made the combination, and one other time I failed to get the 3 or cue ball to a rail. Still the leave was ideal.
I'll go with this shot as my alternative.

BTW Ghosty, the upside down image didn't help in my case. But thanks for trying.

Tom
Thanks Tom, I believe I speak for most everyone; "your opinion is always highly regarded". It is a good shot selection, and your original is of course excellent as well. thanks again for the reply. I'll have to try that 3 ball shot and see if I have the success you obtained.

Ghost, I got dizzy! Whitey

Kybanks

Verified Member
If you have the skills to get behind the 10 ball then that's the shot. Being behind in the score and ball position makes want to be aggressive with the 8 ball somehow.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
If you have the skills to get behind the 10 ball then that's the shot. Being behind in the score and ball position makes want to be aggressive with the 8 ball somehow.
cut the 8 with extreme RHE and send CB 3-4 rails around to play shape on the 5 bank? if you miss your safe? :)

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Bank carom the fifteen ball into the short rail hitting the one ball and the fifteen ball goes up table and you've hooked him with the three ball on the eleven. Stick the rock on the short rail.
Jerry, Good eye! I saw that shot too and tried it last night after setting up my infamous two rail shot. I couldn't get it to work but the idea is ingenious.

Tom