Donn vs. John 12 - end game situation - wwyd?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I cant tell if you can cross the 7 and miss the scratch just to move it to your hole
looks like it's on a scratch to me, which is what I said early on - the 7 you were ok with leaving him due to it being close to a scratch -- but I was still afraid of leaving a 3 railer on any one of the balls or a 1 railer on the 10 or 14 if I chose Frank's shot. Still a good shot and it came out good but it also could have been bad if any of those banks would have been available.

Kybanks

Verified Member
beatle, I'm sure you know, or at least I give you the credit of knowing that regardless of where the balls are positioned and what the caliber of players are, the odds can never be 7/1. If a player can run two balls and is capable of playing position, than the odds cannot be 7/1. I can't begin to tell you how many times I needed three balls to my opponents one ball with all balls out of play, and I won the game by running out. Just because balls are out of play, it doesn't mean that they will remain out of play. With that understood, then playing a safety here would lend to a never give up attitude which would send a message to your opponent to play cautiously, which would allow you to move balls into position and reduce the win%.

There's a lot to be said for players that have patience and a good understanding of how psychologically players handle situations like this one when their opponent starts to play wisely and chopping at the lead. Another plus with playing wisely and not throwing your money in the air is after you win a game like this one, your opponent has much more respect for your ability and heart, and quite often, it will show in their play. Nick Varner would be a perfect example of the type of player that never believes he's out of a game regardless of the score and where the balls are positioned. THINK WEDGE GAME.

If the bank guarantees you a win, then, by all means, shoot it, but in this situation, it doesn't apply.

Dr. Bill
I cant argue with the Nick Varner statement. Almost every wwyd, my shot choice is usually based on playing against him. With that said, I'm more aggressive in certain spots and very cautious in others. I've been on the receiving end of his 8 and outs from NOWHERE!! Everybody thinks he's conservative and that is just the opposite. I'm not sure he would bank the 7 ball here!!! Lol

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Well, John and Frank were in agreement here - they both liked the same shot...John hit it as he meant to and he came out ok - he almost left a 3-railer, but he didn't...here's how it turned out >>>
That's a good outcome. It does look like the 7 can be made straight back using a draw stroke to avoid the scratch.

wincardona

Verified Member
I cant argue with the Nick Varner statement. Almost every wwyd, my shot choice is usually based on playing against him. With that said, I'm more aggressive in certain spots and very cautious in others. I've been on the receiving end of his 8 and outs from NOWHERE!! Everybody thinks he's conservative and that is just the opposite. I'm not sure he would bank the 7 ball here!!! Lol
I have played Nick many, many times and I respect his shot selections as much as anyone's and I'm positively sure he wouldn't bank the 7ball here. We would play $100 a game 8/7 after tournament play concluded
I cant argue with the Nick Varner statement. Almost every wwyd, my shot choice is usually based on playing against him. With that said, I'm more aggressive in certain spots and very cautious in others. I've been on the receiving end of his 8 and outs from NOWHERE!! Everybody thinks he's conservative and that is just
I have played Nick a lot of one pocket and you are correct he would not bank the 7ball. However, .my decision of playing a safety from this position is based on players playing against oneanother that are of equal ability. I understand why you would shoot the 7ball being the player that is receiving a spot and trailing. Had Nick been the shooter he would of played tight and forced you to earn the win. Strategy for you to win is much different than Nicks strategy because opportunities to win are scarce when playing a champion. I have no problem with your decision with banking the 7ball

Let's put the shoe on the other foot, now you are the better player or a player of equal ability, then possibly your strategy wouldn't be the same. Im thinking.

Dr. Bill

Kybanks

Verified Member
I have played Nick many, many times and I respect his shot selections as much as anyone's and I'm positively sure he wouldn't bank the 7ball here. We would play $100 a game 8/7 after tournament play concluded

I have played Nick a lot of one pocket and you are correct he would not bank the 7ball. However, .my decision of playing a safety from this position is based on players playing against oneanother that are of equal ability. I understand why you would shoot the 7ball being the player that is receiving a spot and trailing. Had Nick been the shooter he would of played tight and forced you to earn the win. Strategy for you to win is much different than Nicks strategy because opportunities to win are scarce when playing a champion. I have no problem with your decision with banking the 7ball

Let's put the shoe on the other foot, now you are the better player or a player of equal ability, then possibly your strategy wouldn't be the same. Im thinking.

Dr. Bill
If I was the better player, of course I would extend the game. Usually in most cases, I'm not the better player and I have to execute very low % shots to have a chance. When you start playing 1 ball 1 pocket with guys like Nick, it's very humbling to say the least! And yes he will make you feel like you have permanent hand cuffs on.