Doc

piggybank04

Verified Member
nice.... one thing he said--playing music is a rotten way to make a living, ditto with pool......

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Living in the Present.

Living in the Present.

Your attitude is the best part Doc, I'll bet you lead a satisfying life.:)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Your attitude is the best part Doc, I'll bet you lead a satisfying life.:)
Thanks for the compliments from you and the others. I did NOT put Hendy up to posting the URL... And my wife would probably have her own comments about my attitude.:eek:

Anyway, since y'all were so nice, I'm going to post what may be the first 3C WWYD! (Bill S. may have beat me to it though)

Cheers~ Doc

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
"Music is a rotten way to try to make a living; you've got to take a vow of poverty." -- Art Tripp

Just like trying to make a living at pool. ;)

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Nice interview Art. It is too bad the business end of the music industry was not more kind to you. You may still be contributing to our listening pleasure. Our loss musically, but you seem to have found a true niche to an enjoyable life. Good for you.

Tom

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Art, this was really interesting. I have two or three questions for you if you would care to share your opinion. They may sound stupid. Was Frank (or you) influenced by Spike Jones? What is your opinion of Brian Wilson? Who is the Mozart of the 20th century? McCartney?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Art, this was really interesting. I have two or three questions for you if you would care to share your opinion. They may sound stupid. Was Frank (or you) influenced by Spike Jones? What is your opinion of Brian Wilson? Who is the Mozart of the 20th century? McCartney?

I was a big fan of Spike Jones early on when he'd be on late 40's/early 50's TV. I "rediscovered" him in the 60's, and had several of his albums. If there was any influence on Frank, it was very remote. Frank was more into freakiness, not slapstick. But Jones was obviously a big influence on, say, the Bonzo Dog (Doo-Dah) Band.

I have no opinion on Brian Wilson. He sure sold a lot of records! The Beach Boys were not my bag in those days, although I must say that their music was a great example of early California Rock. And to that extent, it's very pleasant listening. It's instantly reminiscent of an era; much like Nat "King" Cole was to the 1950's.

As far as the 20th Century Mozart, I'd have to give that some thought. McCartney is a song writer, and a great one. But he could never be mentioned among serious composers. McCartney might be compared to Irving Berlin, although Paul may have outsold him.;)

If Mozart were alive today he'd be in Hollywood composing for films.

Igor Stravinsky is near or at the top of the greatest during the 1900's. Ravel, Copland, Shostakovich, Debussy, Ives, Bartok-- they all must be mentioned.

Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

I was a big fan of Spike Jones early on when he'd be on late 40's/early 50's TV. I "rediscovered" him in the 60's, and had several of his albums. If there was any influence on Frank, it was very remote. Frank was more into freakiness, not slapstick. But Jones was obviously a big influence on, say, the Bonzo Dog (Doo-Dah) Band.

I have no opinion on Brian Wilson. He sure sold a lot of records! The Beach Boys were not my bag in those days, although I must say that their music was a great example of early California Rock. And to that extent, it's very pleasant listening. It's instantly reminiscent of an era; much like Nat "King" Cole was to the 1950's.

As far as the 20th Century Mozart, I'd have to give that some thought. McCartney is a song writer, and a great one. But he could never be mentioned among serious composers. McCartney might be compared to Irving Berlin, although Paul may have outsold him.;)

If Mozart were alive today he'd be in Hollywood composing for films.

Igor Stravinsky is near or at the top of the greatest during the 1900's. Ravel, Copland, Shostakovich, Debussy, Ives, Bartok-- they all must be mentioned.

Doc
Now you are letting a little of your classical training leak out :D

I think if you combine Lennon/McCartney you definitely have the later half of the century represented if popular music is considered.

My wife brought home (Netflicks) a really good series about the history of Jazz, beginning with it's birth in New Orleans -- very interesting that it apparently was a confluence of blues, minstrel/vaudeville, ragtime and classical trained Creole musicians.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Wrecking Crew

Wrecking Crew

Now you are letting a little of your classical training leak out :D

I think if you combine Lennon/McCartney you definitely have the later half of the century represented if popular music is considered.

My wife brought home (Netflicks) a really good series about the history of Jazz, beginning with it's birth in New Orleans -- very interesting that it apparently was a confluence of blues, minstrel/vaudeville, ragtime and classical trained Creole musicians.

Have you ever heard of the group called the ''wrecking crew'' ? Ck it out. These were the studio musicians that worked the 50's 60's 70's and made groups like the Monkees, Glen Campbell, pink panther jingle, and about every great musician of the 20th century used these ''Studio Musicians'' to make them successful. These guys never got ANY credits from all those years of playing for ALL the greats, and many times because of the THEM became successful. You won't find their names on ANY of the early albums, because that's the way it was back then. I know at least one from the crew' is in the rock and roll HOF.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
One more question

One more question

Is this the most beautiful sound ever produced by man?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr3aBBA3VYc[/ame]