Do you plan to play in N.O. Member Tourney?

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Absolutely, you're Da MAN!

Thank you for being willing.

I intend to post a new thread only to document confirmed entry status.

Before I get an inrush of mail, it would be be good to vote and decide if there is or isn't going to be a 32 player cap. I do not want to receive a lot of checks that need to be returned or shredded if I receive amounts over the cap.

Also, for practicality and my personal travel schedule, there should be a cut-off date for mailing entry fees. If there is a cap and its reached before the cut-off date then no problem. If no cap, I still need to impose a cut-off date because I do not want to be responsible for missing mail after I've gone out of town.

Recap:
1. Vote on max players (32, 48 or unlimited)
2. Deadline for cap vote - when? Separate thread?
3. Proposed cut-off postmark date for entries is August 31st.

Last edited:

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
I thought Jerry Matchin said he wasn't going to make it.. I can't keep up. Oh well, I will try harder.

JoeyA

Sept 24 and 25, $100 entry, double elimination.

Please post your intentions here (doesn't have to include your guarantee, just your current expectation.)

Here are the members who have officially voted for Lacy's (which should mean they plan to be there.)

LSJohn

Disco Dave

Jeff Sparks

Gulfport Doc

jtompilot

Milton777

BRLongArm

Jakie

Troutmanmo

kicker

Hardmix

Newkirk

Hacker

MobileMike

==========

And now, also:

Tom Wirth

Jerry Matchin

wannabe Tommy :D

vapros

wgcp

Da Barber

Bill

Richard S

NH Steve

John in NH

crabcatjohn

Miller

poolandpokerman

scrzbill

jrhendy

Mkbtank

John Rizzo

James Christopher (Sniper)

Fireman KC

Cincy Kid

Joey A

35 Total

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I intend to post a new thread only to document confirmed entry status.

Before I get an inrush of mail, it would be be good to vote and decide if there is or isn't going to be a 32 player cap. I do not want to receive a lot of checks that need to be returned or shredded if I receive amounts over the cap.

Also, for practicality and my personal travel schedule, there should be a cut-off date for mailing entry fees. If there is a cap and its reached before the cut-off date then no problem. If no cap, I still need to impose a cut-off date because I do not want to be responsible for missing mail after I've gone out of town.

Regarding the Friday bidness. Suppose we have 8 who can't make Friday. We do a separate draw just for them. They play two rounds against each other Sat AM, then work into the main bracket according to a number assigned blindly to each of them. I think I see how this can work.

Recap:
1. Vote on max players (33, 48 or unlimited)
2. Deadline for cap vote - when? Separate thread?
3. Proposed cut-off postmark date for entries is August 31st.

Great!

I propose 48. People who can play Friday will play one or two rounds. Those who can't be there in time to play Friday will play each other on Sat morning early (9:00?) When sending entry, they should let you know whether they plan to play Friday (7:30pm and 9:30pm is my idea for rounds 1 and 2 for the main bracket) but they might want to consider whether to advertise the fact :heh (and you keep it under your vest.) I have a plan for Friday's non-players. I think we can work it out.

It may not be elegant, but it will be more-or-less fair, and will avoid eliminating anyone who wants to play (up to 48, that is.)

No rush on the cap vote. A couple of weeks from now would be plenty early IMO and give plenty of time now to consider and discuss. Those who prefer capping at 32, I hope you'll consider how you would feel if two or three of the people you'd most like to see and play got capped out. BTW, Dr Bill has already said that he would bow out rather than deprive someone else of a spot. He's one of those most-like-to-see-there people for me, and I can name a dozen more whose cap-out would really disappoint me.

Regarding final post-mark date for entries, I think Aug 31 is too early. That's over 3 weeks. I think Sept. 10 would give plenty of time... 10 days before you're planning to leave. (If we cap at 32, I doubt that it will be relevant.)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I thought Jerry Matchin said he wasn't going to make it.. I can't keep up. Oh well, I will try harder.

JoeyA

You're right. As I recall, he initially said he would, then found his schedule made it unlikely. I probably should have taken his name off, but it LOOKS so good there. :)

I'd love to watch the two of you match up. I love your games and they look really close to me.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Great!

I propose 48. People who can play Friday will play one or two rounds. Those who can't be there in time to play Friday will play each other on Sat morning early (9:00?) When sending entry, they should let you know whether they plan to play Friday (7:30pm and 9:30pm is my idea for rounds 1 and 2 for the main bracket) but they might want to consider whether to advertise the fact :heh (and you keep it under your vest.) I have a plan for Friday's non-players. I think we can work it out.

No rush on the cap vote. A couple of weeks from now would be plenty early IMO and give plenty of time now to consider and discuss.
OKAY BUT IF IM CLOSE TO 32 RECIEVED BEFORE CAP VOTE, WE NEED TO RUSH VOTE AT THAT TIME

Regarding final post-mark date for entries, I think Aug 31 is too early. That's over 3 weeks. I think Sept. 10 would give plenty of time... 10 days before you're planning to leave. (If we cap at 32, I doubt that it will be relevant.)

You're assuming that I'm only traveling to NO, but I have other travel plans as well prior to tournament. Considering amount of postings and interest stated to-date, 2-months to respond should be adequate.

Also, Postmark date is onething, but even mail just from across town here in Houston can take 3-4 days to reach my address. I prefer to allow 5 days from postmark date to receive the mail. Therefore, postmark should be before Labor Day weekend as mail service is interrupted at that time as well..

See Comments above.

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Great!

It may not be elegant, but it will be more-or-less fair, and will avoid eliminating anyone who wants to play (up to 48, that is.)

No rush on the cap vote. A couple of weeks from now would be plenty early IMO and give plenty of time now to consider and discuss. Those who prefer capping at 32, I hope you'll consider how you would feel if two or three of the people you'd most like to see and play got capped out. BTW, Dr Bill has already said that he would bow out rather than deprive someone else of a spot. He's one of those most-like-to-see-there people for me, and I can name a dozen more whose cap-out would really disappoint me.

If we play with 48 players are we going to use a bunch of byes, play it out to the end and have a round robin with the last three players standing? I know if we cut it off at 32 a bunch of guys will be left out

Cory in dc

Verified Member
See Comments above.

1. Thanks for taking this on! I hope I can make it for our rematch.

2. Are you willing to take PayPal? Many people might want to use that.

3. Nobody likes the idea of a round robin to seed two single elimination brackets? I posted it and noone commented. Guess I need to someone to say, "Dumb idea, Cory."

Anyway, form 8 groups and everybody in each group plays 2 games against three people. The top two records in each grouping go into a 16 person bracket with no byes and >50% of the money. All others go to the other bracket with <50% of the money. By the end, everybody plays at least 4 people this way, and you can have any number of entrants up to 48. This was basically how ACUI did it way back in the early 90s, at least in the WI/IL area. One hassle factor is that you would need to write down ball counts each game to break ties.

Cory

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
2-months to respond should be adequate.

OK, you're right, except for unfortunates who can't finalize plans that soon. If we don't have a cap, and you're leaving early, maybe we need to have someone designated as backup. Say, after September 1, mail all entries to me, or Miller, or Sparks or whomever. No, wait a minute. If we don't have a cap, we don't need people to pre-pay.

Also right about needing to rush the cap decision if you start getting a lot of entries right away. Hmmmm. Maybe we need to figure out right away the process of deciding on a cap, then do it, whatever it is. I like the idea of just asking NHSteve what he thinks is best, and go with it. There's a guy we can stand with, even when we disagree with. :)

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
1. Thanks for taking this on! I hope I can make it for our rematch.

2. Are you willing to take PayPal? Many people might want to use that.

Cory

Cory, you're welcome. looking forward to the rematch.

Regarding Paypal, sorry, I am not set up for that. Send entry fees in the form of checks, money orders or cashier checks only....DO NOT SEND CASH!

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
3. Nobody likes the idea of a round robin to seed two single elimination brackets? I posted it and noone commented. Guess I need to someone to say, "Dumb idea, Cory."

Cory

Corey, your the one with TD experience. If you think that a round robin would be more expedient (quickest) and easier for you and John to handle, I'm all for that.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Corey, your the one with TD experience. If you think that a round robin would be more expedient (quickest) and easier for you and John to handle, I'm all for that.

I think we're getting the cart before the horse here. IMO, unless we have a 32-player cap, there's no need for advance entry fees. I think the first order of business should be deciding on whether to limit to 32. If not, I'm willing to take a small risk that we might get over 48, and just say "Sign up when you get here."

If Cory thinks his method works for 48 players with matches only on Sat and Sun, and IF he is able to come, I'm all for it. It might be OK even if he can't come, but I need to think it through more carefully to make sure I completely understand it before I would commit to doing it in his absence.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I think whatever is decided on the format (round robin or true dbl elim) will be fine especially since the main purpose is to get to meet each other, match up and have some fun!

However, I do think it will stink if its capped at 32 and there are several other members who would have come but end up not making the trip because they didn't make the cut. Not speaking about myself here because I am sending a check the day we decide we are collecting entries :)

I am sure there will be others though.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
NO CAP...
NO WORRIES...

I purpose we mail entry fees to David with a early to mid September deadline... ( let David set it )
Just let this thing shake out however it will, we WILL fine tune it on the fly...
Limiting the field, capping it, shutting a single member out would be contrary to the principle of having it... IMO all should be welcome to come and we should be able to settle on a reasonable format once we know the total # of players...

We also need a point man on food arrangements...
It's been mentioned by Joey A that Frank could provide this service... I think this would be an excellent solution for the dinner/dinners we should plan on having together... Nothing quite like breaking bread with your fellow man. :) not to mention, it's another way of thanking the owner for use of the facility...

If Frank is willing to accept a fee for table and facility use, then no doubt we should offer one... $25.00 per person or thereabouts...

Once again fellows, let this shake out, then we will figure it out... :)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
So are we sending money to Disco Dave even if we aren't capping it? Just want to make sure i get mine in the mail if that's the plan.

Thanks!

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
There are always going to be some byes unless you use exactly 32 players. We will have to use a 64 player board and there will be byes. The luck of the draw.

I personally do not like the idea of a three player round robin at the end and prefer a true double elimination so there is a reward for whoever wins the hot seat.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
So are we sending money to Disco Dave even if we aren't capping it? Just want to make sure i get mine in the mail if that's the plan.

Thanks!

Since we've got everything set up to do so, and Disco is on top of it, I've changed my mind about it being unnecessay without a cap. It may help a lot in figuring out how to schedule matches to know almost exactly how many we'll have, and who will be unavailable for Friday night matches....

So, I say send 'em in. (I just did mine.)

Cory in dc

Verified Member
There are always going to be some byes unless you use exactly 32 players. We will have to use a 64 player board and there will be byes. The luck of the draw.

I personally do not like the idea of a three player round robin at the end and prefer a true double elimination so there is a reward for whoever wins the hot seat.

I'll post a more detailed description of how the round robin would work in the next day or two.

Just to be clear, there would be no round robin at the *end*. The round robin would be used at the *beginning* to place players into one of two single elimination brackets, either the High bracket (top 16 from the round robins) or the Low bracket (all others, would have byes). We'd agree to a split of the total pot between the High and Low brackets, with something like 2/3 vs. 1/3 (you want people to want to be in the High bracket).

I think I could prepare a TD package for LSJohn or someone to use if people like the idea and I'm not there.

Cory