Difficulty Learning 1P

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
I've been playing a lot of One Pocket this year. I have improved significantly on my banking (1 rail, 2 rail, 3 rail) and controlling the cue ball. My shot making is solid. But I would of thought my improvements would be greater by now.

I have ordered several of Grady Mathews DVD's. I learned several types of shots that other players notice me shooting (one guy asked me - where'd you learn that shot, you never shoot that shot). I got Toledo Joe's DVD set and I'm learning types of shots from him.

I'm also getting several more DVD's - Scott Frosts, another Grady Mathews and Freddy's banks that don't go but do.

On a regular basis (several times a week) I am devoting time to specific shots in 1 pocket (getting out of the break, take outs, protecting your break, putting the cue ball against the stack).

Does anyone have any pointers for improving your game even further?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I've been playing a lot of One Pocket this year. I have improved significantly on my banking (1 rail, 2 rail, 3 rail) and controlling the cue ball. My shot making is solid. But I would of thought my improvements would be greater by now.

I have ordered several of Grady Mathews DVD's. I learned several types of shots that other players notice me shooting (one guy asked me - where'd you learn that shot, you never shoot that shot). I got Toledo Joe's DVD set and I'm learning types of shots from him.

I'm also getting several more DVD's - Scott Frosts, another Grady Mathews and Freddy's banks that don't go but do.

On a regular basis (several times a week) I am devoting time to specific shots in 1 pocket (getting out of the break, take outs, protecting your break, putting the cue ball against the stack).

WWWD,

It sounds like you are doing all the right things...If you have the opportunity, you may want to try playing an accomplished 1P player, as cheap as you can !..I think that is far more beneficial than all the books, and DVD's, but they will help too !

You sound a little impatient. (understandable)...Do not expect to improve at a 'ball a month' ratio.. That is not realistic !..Even guys like Efren and Duell are still in the learning process, and both have been playing for years !

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

You are going to have to mix it up with other players. You can learn a shot or two today and play every day for months, and the shots you learned and practiced might not come up again.

I am 74 and have been playing one pocket for over 50 years and am still learning.

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
I would also add to what John said about playing other people, sooner or later you need to play people that are better than you. That will make you elevate you play, because playing people your own speed will only make you get lazy in learning new things about the game. Hope I said all this right, not real good at explaining.--Smitty

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Same here. I want to improve. I do not gamble or compete but would like to play a respectable game. Any certified instructors around(West Palm Area). I do not want to learn by playing for money. Rather have things explained as the game moves on. Thanks.

lfigueroa

Verified Member

Practice some 14.1.

Lou Figueroa

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Same here. I want to improve. I do not gamble or compete but would like to play a respectable game. Any certified instructors around(West Palm Area). I do not want to learn by playing for money. Rather have things explained as the game moves on. Thanks.

GC, get ahold of Tom Wirth via P.M. I'm not sure how far he is from West Palm, but he would be a good instructor for you. He's been a high level player for years, and he is also a student of the game.

~Doc

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
Thanks

Thanks

I guess I am being a little impatient. There are a couple players that are knowledgeable that I have played a little. Luckily they are willing to play cheap and give pointers. I recently found out about a pool hall not too far from me that a lot of older gentlemen play one pocket and they play cheap.

I understand that I will continue to learn this game for the rest of my life.

I have also been watching matches and trying to guess what the player will do on each shot. If I don't understand why they did what they did I'll rewind and study the table.

Another form of practice I do is throw all 15 balls out and try to run them into one pocket. So far the best run is 12 (during that drill and during a game).

Playing games I feel I make 7 out of 8 good to great shots... and then I tend to make that 1 mistake, whether being too aggressive, double kissing a bank, selling out a ball, or losing the cue ball a little and letting them see a ball I should of protected. If I can eliminate or significantly reduce the # of mistakes I make, then I feel I'd beat everyone I currently play.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I personally think taking beatings is the best way to learn. It can be in a tournament. Looking back, even those times when I lost bad and thought I learned nothing, I really did. Did you ever study for a test in school, and feel like you got nowhere in the first couple hours, then things stared to sink in? It is like that, those first 2 hours are the roughest because you don't think you are getting anywhere, but you really are. It only dawns on you later. Short answer is competition is the best way, the more competitive the better, and it should be with people that are at least slightly above you. Really, try playing some good players for a while, then go back to playing your friends that play even with you. It is kinda like the heavy bat from the on deck circle. :lol

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Best lesson

Best lesson

Learn to control the cue...cause if you can put it where you want it to be... it will be tough as nails to beat you...if they can't shoot at their pocket, the game tends to be easier... now you just have to learn where to put the cue... been working on that one for years... lol

B

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
Learn to control the cue...cause if you can put it where you want it to be... it will be tough as nails to beat you...if they can't shoot at their pocket, the game tends to be easier... now you just have to learn where to put the cue... been working on that one for years... lol

B

I already understand this one. My cue ball control us decent but needs improvement. Sometimes I play safe and think I leave the player safe, then they shoot a good 2 rail bank and leave me safe.... The more I play One Pocket the more I'll learn safe zones and anticipate what the opponent will want to do.

I think the some of the power shots I've been learning improve my chances of beating equally skilled or lesser skilled players, but I need to really strengthen my control on the subtle shots.

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
I already understand this one. My cue ball control us decent but needs improvement. Sometimes I play safe and think I leave the player safe, then they shoot a good 2 rail bank and leave me safe.... The more I play One Pocket the more I'll learn safe zones and anticipate what the opponent will want to do.

I think the some of the power shots I've been learning improve my chances of beating equally skilled or lesser skilled players, but I need to really strengthen my control on the subtle shots.

This happens when you do not look over the whole table before shooting your safety. Always look to see what the table looks like from where you want to put the CB.--Smitty

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
You thought your improvements would be greater by now, I'm having difficulty understanding, ''greater than what''? When I hear of another that ''expects'' to be better I just ''yadee yadee wait and see''. Laying blame on the area that creates ''cause & effect'' is a Very interesting animal, the mirror comes to mind. Soooooooooooooooo many people I've run into over the years think by doing this, they can then do that, never has worked that way in my life. :sorry What has always worked, play 40 + hours a week matching up and you'll know where your ''PECK'' is.....in the order of life. Don't be surprised if its not what you Expected. Remember, you ''expected'' to be better than ??????????????? as of now. How's that going.:eek:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

Lou's idea is a very sound way to improve your One Pocket game. Offense is the #1 answer to just about every game of pool. Too many people look at One Pocket in defensive posture where in truth offense is the name of the game.

There is not a single great player of any of the popular pool games who do not excel with the pocketing and running of high numbers of balls. One Pocket is no different. Granted, getting a shot to begin a run of balls requires defensive skills as the game is certainly a cat and mouse strategy. "Get the first shot" is the game within the game. But what you do with that first shot is of utmost importance. This is what separates the men from the boys. Sorry to all those women out there for being Politically incorrect.

The player who is capable of running a higher numbers of balls from equal positions naturally also applies greater pressure on the opponent. The player who may have far greater defense skills but who has difficulty running several balls will eventually lose to the better shooter. This just has to be the case because regardless of the quality of a players defense, the game requires a specific number of balls being pocketed. Sure, the defensive player will frustrate the shooter who has no conception of the game and that player will run two or three at a time. But that same player must maneuver so much more than the shooter who finds one shot and is then in control of the outcome of the game because of his skills at running the balls. Defense gets you only so far an then you MUST shoot!

Learn patterns for running as many balls as possible. Do as Lou suggested and develop 14.1 skills of pattern play. Rack the balls and break them open. Choose a pocket and learn how best to run balls into that single pocket. Do this over and over again and do your best to remember what patterns worked and what patterns got you in trouble limiting the potential number of balls available.

Watch the patterns of the great players. You will eventually notice they may shoot one or two difficult shots during a run out but typically these players do simple things to exact the most out of their inning.

Certainly there is much to playing solid One Pocket, more than most any other game of pool but the player with the skill to run out from more positions is the player who will dominate the game.

Tom

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Running balls is important.
You must also learn what your stroke feels like.
Many newer players who have pocketing skills have trouble coming with the first shot, after bunting around and not letting their stroke out for a while. :eek:
Rod.

Islandeddie

Verified Member
Look for more than the first obvious shot

Look for more than the first obvious shot

And don't forget to limit your show-off shots. You know, you see a shot that is less then 50-50, but if you could just pull it off you would look like Efern.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
GC, get ahold of Tom Wirth via P.M.
~Doc

Met with Tom today. Thanks for the recommendation. Lesson went well. I intend to stay with Tom until I understand the drills and have a better understanding of managing the rack. Tom is an excellent instructor.

Last edited:

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
Learning 1P

Learning 1P

Thanks again for all the replies. I've got lots of players locally interested in playing One Pocket. Enough to the point that soon the local pool hall will have a One Pocket tournament. Should be fun.

As far as some of the comments:

Offense vs. Defense - I've read a lot on this and the best way I've heard it put is getting the most value out of every shot. A great defensive shot can hold more value than a decent offensive shot because you will gain better position on the next shots (like chess, thinking several moves ahead).

Running balls - this is starting to become a common practice drill where I throw several balls out and try to run them all into one pocket. The best advice someone said was when you have a good shot, play position to some of the farthest balls from your pocket (it is easier to play position from ball to ball going closer to your pocket than further away) and that leave insurance balls (balls that help you if you get out of line).

Banking balls - my banking has improved significantly this year. I feel I'm a high % to make a ball if I fire it in with confidence, or if i'm also ducking the cue ball I can leave the object ball pretty close to my pocket.

Kicking - needs improvement but if I'm left real bad, I can probably kick 1 or 2 rails and get out of the bad spot i'm in (kick a ball in that's hanging in the opponents pocket)

Strategy - I'd say one of my biggest weaknesses is when I look at a shot and I can't "see the right shot". In other words I end up searching for options, then try to do the simplest or easiest. After watching scott frosts dvd - I know it is OK to take a foul if I can put my opponent is such a spot that I know I will get a better shot next time.

All in all, I will try to get the local poolhalls to start/keep having one pocket tournaments. I will try to match up playing one pocket and see how I do.