Difficulty Learning 1P

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Met with Tom today. Thanks for the recommendation. Lesson went well. I intend to stay with Tom until I understand the drills and have a better understanding of managing the rack. Tom is an excellent instructor.
Glad to hear that y'all hooked up. I had a hunch that Tom would be just the ticket for you.

Cheers~ Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
Running balls is important.
You must also learn what your stroke feels like.
Many newer players who have pocketing skills have trouble coming with the first shot, after bunting around and not letting their stroke out for a while. :eek:
Rod.
The best advice I ever heard about maintaining a semblance of stroke in One Pocket was something the late Steve Cook said: If you always play even simple safeties with your best controlled stroke and precise aim, including both cue ball and object ball accuracy, then you will stay sharper if you are faced with open table shots (plus your safety play will be better :D ).

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
The best advice I ever heard about maintaining a semblance of stroke in One Pocket was something the late Steve Cook said: If you always play even simple safeties with your best controlled stroke and precise aim, including both cue ball and object ball accuracy, then you will stay sharper if you are faced with open table shots (plus your safety play will be better :D ).
That is fabulous advice that I seldom heeded. I would only do that if I was in serious tourn match or betting sky high. Otherwise, I would lazy stroke simple shots, unlike people like Irving Crane or Eddie Kelly who executed every shot as if their lives depended on it.

Beard

Jimmy B

Verified Member
That is fabulous advice that I seldom heeded. I would only do that if I was in serious tourn match or betting sky high. Otherwise, I would lazy stroke simple shots, unlike people like Irving Crane or Eddie Kelly who executed every shot as if their lives depended on it.

Beard

I couldn't agree more with that advice. I remember back many years ago when I first started out bearing down on all kick shots and taking dead aim at my spot on the rail just like it was another ball. It was nine ball and I was a kid, but the principle applies just like Irving playing straight pool. Yea. Me and Irving played pretty close. Do you believe me?/