Dick McMorran

philip guagliardo

Verified Member
Dick i read your other post and noticed a name from my past playing days Chuck Bailey and I'm curious if its the same guy that was around Chicago about 1972 0r 73 . The guy I'm talking about was about 6 ft 2 or 3 and had a normal built no fat and played pretty good bar 9 ball ! I played him on a bar table and he beat me , but on big bertha he quit me playing 9 ball and changed the game to one pocket and I miraculously ran 8 and out 3 games in a row and he owed a couple of balls in 2 of the games and had zero in the other game . It had to be one of my better nights in pool and thats why it has stuck in my head all these years and I never seen the man again in life . I wonder if its the same guy he was also had a good drunk act in the bar and I would say he would be at least 75 years old today he seemed like he was about 40 then . He looked more like a suit and tie guy than a pool hustler . I would appreciate if you think it sounds like the chuck bailey you posted about . Phil

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Old friend Chuck

Old friend Chuck

Hi Phil,
Thanks for responding. It sure sounds like (from your description) that you
were up against my old buddy Chuck. He did have a great drunk act, half
the time he really was! The last time I saw him was in Chicago in the early
70's. I heard he later moved to Detroit.
He did work the bars more than the pool rooms. I don't know where it came
from but he became known as " Lonesome John " Do you remember how he
introduced himself to you? I think he thought he needed an alias because
in the 60's it took a top notch player to beat him on a bar box.
I am in my early 70's so if he is still above ground he would be around 80.
I am posting this on the forum because for some reason I cannot get a
PM to go thru. You can respond to me via PM at 1 Pocket.org if you like.
Thanks again for the reply,
Dick

Grady

Verified Member
Interesting!!!!

Interesting!!!!

Dick McMorran is "San Jose Dick's" name but I don't think he's 80. A very fine One Pocket player, as in maybe one ball under the best players in the world, originally from Canada but played much at Cochran's and in San Jose, now lives in Phoenix.

BillPorter

Verified Member
Grady said:
Dick McMorran is "San Jose Dick's" name but I don't think he's 80. A very fine One Pocket player, as in maybe one ball under the best players in the world, originally from Canada but played much at Cochran's and in San Jose, now lives in Phoenix.
Grady, Dick said he was in his "early 70s" which sounds about right. I remember him from Cotton Palace in the 1960s when both of us were young men.

Jack Madden

BillPorter said:
Grady, Dick said he was in his "early 70s" which sounds about right. I remember him from Cotton Palace in the 1960s when both of us were young men.

Dick is in his early 70's 'cause I was a kid when he came to Phoenix (I'm in my early 60's). Lots of good times with Dick and what a player he is:)