Deuel vs. Putnam 2007 DCC

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Early in the rack, Putnam just left Deuel in a pretty nasty trap. How did Corey get out of it? What would YOU do to escape? (I know, I left out the "e" in Corey...) ~Doc

Cory-Putnam 1.jpg

Cory-Putnam 2.jpg

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Doc, I dont know what Corey would do because he is a Wizard!!! I would kick 2 rails behind the 10 ball leaving the cb as close to the bottom rail as possible and hope for a better position next time I come to the table. Obviously Im taking an intentional here. Keith

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
He could two-rail the 3-ball and get fortunate sneaking the cue ball either off a ball or even directly behind the 10-ball, kicking the 10 away too :D

You can laugh, but the 3-ball has a track!

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Safety

Safety

The kick safety behind the ten looks good to me too. You might get lucky and ticky the ten and get back to the rail and avoid losing a ball.

You are just trying to stay alive here. Your next shot could be even tougher.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
11 ball three rails toward my pocket, cb three or four rails behind and under 10 ball.
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

This seems like the type of post-worthy shot that Corey would take.

I actually practice this one, just because it's fun, and it's not that hard to get the CB to the first diamond on the long rail by Putnam's pocket. Heavy inside english beats the kiss 9/10, and it's pretty demoralizing to the opponent when you pull it off.

That said, the 11 ball is a little low for this shot, to my eye. It looks hard or impossible to play the 11 on the right line and still get the CB past the side pocket. So I'd shoot the intentional foul on the 2-railer.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I know I already posted a wild 2-rail shot below, but looking at this a little more I think a slight masse would get you contact into the right side of the 8-ball and from there down to the bottom rail. You are still going to be in a world of hurt next shot though. That's why I am still looking at the wild shot :D

Another simple safety looks like a short kick with left english to sneak past the 14-ball and into the 8-ball or 9-ball would get you to the bottom rail. The way the 8 & 9 are lying a little over-lapped in the line on the kick, you would have a big target.

All three shots below:

Attachments

• Greenshot_2013-12-09_07-21-44.jpg
    Greenshot_2013-12-09_07-21-44.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Greenshot_2013-12-09_07-20-06.jpg
    Greenshot_2013-12-09_07-20-06.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Greenshot_2013-12-09_07-16-19.jpg
    Greenshot_2013-12-09_07-16-19.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Too much ducking. Time to shoot. Bank the 2 ball straight back and pull the cue ball back between the 6 and 8 ball and run out. The bank is no more than 2 to 1 against (read my books or watch my DVDs), and the two out of three times you miss you should be able to put the cue ball between the 6 and 8 safe at least one out of three times, which if my percentages serve me right, makes me the favorite to shoot at the 2 ball.

Beard

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
This seems like the type of post-worthy shot that Corey would take.

I actually practice this one, just because it's fun, and it's not that hard to get the CB to the first diamond on the long rail by Putnam's pocket. Heavy inside english beats the kiss 9/10, and it's pretty demoralizing to the opponent when you pull it off.

That said, the 11 ball is a little low for this shot, to my eye. It looks hard or impossible to play the 11 on the right line and still get the CB past the side pocket. So I'd shoot the intentional foul on the 2-railer.

this is the shot that impressed me when we were playing the other evening at Champions Cory. I like it as well but the cb comes up shorter going in between the 9 and 10 resting behind the 6

he's pretty creative so I think he shoots it this way

give me a call, I'm anxious to get at you again :)

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
Too much ducking. Time to shoot. Bank the 2 ball straight back and pull the cue ball back between the 6 and 8 ball and run out. The bank is no more than 2 to 1 against (read my books or watch my DVDs), and the two out of three times you miss you should be able to put the cue ball between the 6 and 8 safe at least one out of three times, which if my percentages serve me right, makes me the favorite to shoot at the 2 ball.

Beard

I like this shot as well ...

just would hope I can pull the cb down successfully without hitting the six or eight because I'd have to hit the two ball with low right hand spin

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
I like Freddy's Bank the 2 ball.

If I don't like the angle on the 2, I do a slight masse around the 14 and try to clip the low side of the 8 to send the cue ball to the foot rail.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Beard gets the cookie. As I watched the match, I hadn't seen that shot coming. And he whomped it pretty hard. Probably because it was such a shallow angle to the 2 ball, he had to put some steam on the CB to drag it across the table between the 6 & 8 balls.

What impressed me about the shot was the touch he had to have in order to be that precise on his CB target. It's harder than it looks to get it right on that line-- in only one attempt! He pocketed the 2 ball in the head corner pocket, and it was only after reading Beard's post that I realized he may have been trying to make the two straight back. He used low right, which he wouldn't have needed to make the bank shot. But the important thing on the shot was his touch on the CB. Mark Wilson commented that a guy would have to be practicing 6 hours a day to maintain that kind of touch.

Cory-Putnam 3.jpg

Cory-Putnam 4.jpg

I thought there were some real good solutions. Steve especially had some imaginative shots. I probably would've lagged to the head rail, then back hitting rail first to the 10. Corey's shot didn't put Putnam in trouble, but it did get him out of a jam... ~Doc

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Beard gets the cookie. As I watched the match, I hadn't seen that shot coming. And he whomped it pretty hard. Probably because it was such a shallow angle to the 2 ball, he had to put some steam on the CB to drag it across the table between the 6 & 8 balls.

What impressed me about the shot was the touch he had to have in order to be that precise on his CB target. It's harder than it looks to get it right on that line-- in only one attempt! He pocketed the 2 ball in the head corner pocket, and it was only after reading Beard's post that I realized he may have been trying to make the two straight back. He used low right, which he wouldn't have needed to make the bank shot. But the important thing on the shot was his touch on the CB. Mark Wilson commented that a guy would have to be practicing 6 hours a day to maintain that kind of touch.

View attachment 9224

View attachment 9225

I thought there were some real good solutions. Steve especially had some imaginative shots. I probably would've lagged to the head rail, then back hitting rail first to the 10. Corey's shot didn't put Putnam in trouble, but it did get him out of a jam... ~Doc

He shot it hard so the 2 kept some english while it hit the end rail. This makes it bank backward toward your pocket. The trick is to not put too much low or too much RH on the cue ball and to aim the 2 just to the right of the pocket. Tough shot. You cant baby it or the 2 will lose the english it needs to bounce backwards. Thank God for Freddy's books and tapes.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
He shot it hard so the 2 kept some english while it hit the end rail. This makes it bank backward toward your pocket. The trick is to not put too much low or too much RH on the cue ball and to aim the 2 just to the right of the pocket. Tough shot. You cant baby it or the 2 will lose the english it needs to bounce backwards. Thank God for Freddy's books and tapes.

The draw angle to get safe is a near cinch', big widow on bottom rail for whitey. This shot has more Cueball than object ball concerns, and the speed of the banked ball is very controllable. Cole woulda' loved this one eh :p