Detroit One Pocket Tournament

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Dangerous if motivated

Dangerous if motivated

jrhendy said:
I have played about 60 of the names on your list and beat less than 10.

Now you are thinking of playing one pocket? You are too proud to ask for weight from a 70 year old aren't you?

Get in one pocket stroke, I would love to come to Chicago when the weather is better.

I'm game but I'm still playing on fumes. Ego would'nt allow me to ask for weight. Ask Joe Salazar about that. When he was the best bar pool player on earth, he was giving me the 7 ball and sticking me up. I was dogging it badly so I quit, played a set for all of it, and told him to shove the 7 up his booty, and played even.

You know I must have won if I'm telling the story.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
I'm game but I'm still playing on fumes. Ego would'nt allow me to ask for weight. Ask Joe Salazar about that. When he was the best bar pool player on earth, he was giving me the 7 ball and sticking me up. I was dogging it badly so I quit, played a set for all of it, and told him to shove the 7 up his booty, and played even.

You know I must have won if I'm telling the story.

Beard

Beardmonster,

Tracy Joe (good guy)..played good...but he was never THE best... Ask him how many times WE went to war...I think he'll admit I have a few of his $$$ in my pocket....on ALL size tables, and even some of it, giving up weight to HIM. (very hard earned, I might add)
I played a little 9 ball back in the day...Ask my good West Coast buddy, Bakersfield Bobby...another guy Joe had trouble beating...(Hey, this braggin' is fun...)

If you were dogging it, took the heat, and gave up your spot...this does not make you a mental giant...But then, its your story. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Also, are you telling me Joe then gave up and quit,..because you beat him a set playing even, when he LIKED giving you the seven ??? Where is "the rest of the story" ???.:cool:

I know, that you know (or should)...If you go to Vegas, and win 5K, and then blow it back the next day,...Or, lose 5K and win it back....that does not "entitle" you to brag about "beating them out of 5K" (well, maybe in Chicago it does !!!. :D :D)

Sand (thorn in your side) Hound

Edit..Most of my time playing Joe, Bobby, or Cole...was in the 60's, early 70's...before any of them really peaked. But they all played pretty sporty, even in their teens... I was never that unbeatable on a Bar Box...but it took a pretty good player to get my cash back then, on any size table. Ran up and down the road a bit with Don Watson...He was pretty special wasn't he ? We drank a bit.

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
SJDinPHX said:
Beardmonster,

Tracy Joe (luv the guy)..played good...but he was never THE best... Ask him how many times WE went to war...I think he'll admit I have a few of his $$$ in my pocket....on ALL size tables, and even some of it, giving up weight to HIM. (very hard earned, I might add)
I played a little 9 ball back in the day...Ask my good West Coast buddy, Bakersfield Bobby...another guy Joe had a lot of trouble beating...(Hey, this braggin' is fun...)

If you were dogging it, took the heat, and gave up your spot...this does not make you a mental giant...But then, its your story. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Also, are you telling me Joe then gave up and quit,..because you beat him a set playing even, when he LIKED giving you the seven ??? Where is "the rest of the story" ???.:cool:

I know, that you know (or should)...If you go to Vegas, and win 5K, and then blow it back the next day,...that does not "entitle" you to brag about "beating them out of 5K" (or does it ? :D :D)

Joe was considered the best bar pool player around here in the late 70's or early 80's, but then Keith got ahold of him down at the original Hard Times in Costa Mesa and that ended that. There were a ton of great Mexcian players around at that time but Joe was the Daddy for a while.

I had the misfortune of running into Bakersfield Bobby and Tijuana Joe on the same weekend in the early 60's. It was the only time my brother ever went in with me and it was a disaster. After that, the only guy I watched beat Bobby in those days was Don Watson.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
jrhendy said:
Joe was considered the best bar pool player around here in the late 70's or early 80's, but then Keith got ahold of him down at the original Hard Times in Costa Mesa and that ended that. There were a ton of great Mexcian players around at that time but Joe was the Daddy for a while.

I had the misfortune of running into Bakersfield Bobby and Tijuana Joe on the same weekend in the early 60's. It was the only time my brother ever went in with me and it was a disaster. After that, the only guy I watched beat Bobby in those days was Don Watson.

John...see edit on post # 62...(Did you mean "Tracy Joe" Salazar...or "Tijuana Joe"...never heard of him)

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
SJDinPHX said:
John...see edit on post # 62...(Did you mean "Tracy Joe" Salazar...or "Tijuana Joe"...never heard of him)

Both of them. Tracy Joe was the one around Hard Times and Tijuana Joe was around in the 60's. TJ was one of lots of good Mexican bar pool players hanging around the Los Angeles area at that time.

They ultimately pretty much ruined it for the rest of the bar scuffs. They would hang out in any bar that had any action and bleed it dry, with little of the $$ ever coming back into action.

The Mexican players that came around in the 70's and played on the big tables were a different story. Morro Paez, Ernesto Dominguez, Big Sergio and several others from around 4th & Main in Los Angeles were great action. Problem was you had to play pretty sporty to beat them.

I fared better on the big table with these guys than I ever did on the bar boxes.

karelin

fred bentivegna said:
Ego would'nt allow me to ask for weight.

Beard
Hmmm..... I am just a nobody, but about 6 years ago you asked me for 9-8 for 50 a game with The Greek(RIP) backing you. You pulled up after 2 games, lol.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
jrhendy said:
Both of them. Tracy Joe was the one around Hard Times and Tijuana Joe was around in the 60's. TJ was one of lots of good Mexican bar pool players hanging around the Los Angeles area at that time.

They ultimately pretty much ruined it for the rest of the bar scuffs. They would hang out in any bar that had any action and bleed it dry, with little of the $$ ever coming back into action.

The Mexican players that came around in the 70's and played on the big tables were a different story. Morro Paez, Ernesto Dominguez, Big Sergio and several others from around 4th & Main in Los Angeles were great action. Problem was you had to play pretty sporty to beat them.

I fared better on the big table with these guys than I ever did on the bar boxes.

John, Talking about LA, A guy I use to hang around a little was Ron Rosas (Mexican Ronnie). Did you ever run into him?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
jtompilot said:
John, Talking about LA, A guy I use to hang around a little was Ron Rosas (Mexican Ronnie). Did you ever run into him?

I knew Ron well. He hung around the House of Billiards in Studio City and for a spell was one of the better players in the LA area.

He didn't like to go hustle and work at it and was fairly unknown for a player his speed. Just hung around and played in local tournaments.

Married a girl named Christy I think. I haven't heard about him in years. He did finish fairly high one year in one of the larger LA tournaments Jay Helfert used to put on. Might have been a Bicycle Club tournament.

Very easy going laid back guy who could really play.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
jrhendy said:
I knew Ron well. He hung around the House of Billiards in Studio City and for a spell was one of the better players in the LA area.

He didn't like to go hustle and work at it and was fairly unknown for a player his speed. Just hung around and played in local tournaments.

Married a girl named Christy I think. I haven't heard about him in years. He did finish fairly high one year in one of the larger LA tournaments Jay Helfert used to put on. Might have been a Bicycle Club tournament.

Very easy going laid back guy who could really play.

House of Billiards was one of the places I hung out at but I played too much bar box pool back then.

Someone posted a link to a bunch oy tournys in the 60's, 70's, 80's ect. I saw Ron listed very high up at several big West coast tournaments. I remember Ron telling me about the time he beat Earl Strictland.

I wish I invested more effort in my game back then.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
fred bentivegna said:
I had a nice ego post about all the egg's I whupped on and all of a sudden it's a flame war! Sensitivities abound. I think we have deteriorated to the point where J Henderson wont even woof at me anymore. I can't take that. Now that does offend me. Please dont be nice to me JH. I bar no human in the woof dept. As I barked back at Dennis, I can be insulted into playing. That does include 1 pkt. Just hit the right buttons and I will sail.

Beard
Don't nobody feel sorry for me yet, I still have plenty evil left in my old booty.

Freddy,

I can't let this thread die, it was just getting good. With that spirit in mind:

Don't go patting yourself on the back for something that you didn't do.(Jeez, maybe SJD is right? No that can't be.) If you read post #10 you'll see the beginning of the "flame" war. It was all in jest from Ghosty and I misinterpreted it. Now you back it up and say you'll play:confused: . I don't blame you for feeling left out, after all, your name was brought up but not first by me.

I don't woof and I don't bark and I have no reason to insult you. I back up what I say I'll do and always have, so I'll just say this for the record. If you ever visit this way we'll play some "full rack" banks. As I already said, I have not done that in years and would enjoy it quite a bit. As to the bet, just pick a number between 25 and 200 and that's what we'll bet per game. We'll post up whatever you'd like so you can be assured of paying for your trip up here:cool: . Now how can you beat that offer?

Again, this is not a woof or bark, just a friendly offer to play a game(if you come this way) that I miss with someone who knows how to play it.

P.S. I hope you enjoy the music as much as I have:D .

P.SS. Nobody has any interest in your "old booty" mentioned at the end of your post:D .

Dennis

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Different era

Different era

SJDinPHX said:
Beardmonster,

Tracy Joe (good guy)..played good...but he was never THE best... Ask him how many times WE went to war...I think he'll admit I have a few of his $$$ in my pocket....on ALL size tables, and even some of it, giving up weight to HIM. (very hard earned, I might add)
I played a little 9 ball back in the day...Ask my good West Coast buddy, Bakersfield Bobby...another guy Joe had trouble beating...(Hey, this braggin' is fun...)

I know, that you know (or should)...If you go to Vegas, and win 5K, and then blow it back the next day,...Or, lose 5K and win it back....that does not "entitle" you to brag about "beating them out of 5K" (well, maybe in Chicago it does !!!. :D :D)

Edit..Most of my time playing Joe, Bobby, or Cole...was in the 60's, early 70's...before any of them really peaked. But they all played pretty sporty, even in their teens... I was never that unbeatable on a Bar Box...but it took a pretty good player to get my cash back then, on any size table. Ran up and down the road a bit with Don Watson...He was pretty special wasn't he ? We drank a bit.

When I played Tracy Joe he was the best in the country. He robbed everybody that came thru, including Mike Sigel. Dont demean my story. Did you pay attention to what Henderson said about how good Joe played? The end of the story is, after I recovered my money I quit even. I am wild not crazy. At that time Joe would have roasted your cods. As usual you missed the whole point of my story. Are you really that dense? My point was, I dont like to get spotted, and I heat easily. Still do.

Beard

Took the heat last night playing Chris Gentile banks. (he was spotting me) He is a one strokin, free stroker, and he was pouring banks into the pocket at a ridiculous rate. We were only playing for $10 and he disdainfully won the first 2 games in about 3 minutes, making everything he shot at. It was late and I had told him I was only going to play 2 games and go home, but the beating was too severe and my nose opened. Unfortunately, I had pretty good bankroll in my pocket and was all set to go off like a rocket. I played another game and started barking, "Do you really think you can keep 1 stoking and making everything on me for big money?" I inquired. To an outside observer it must have looked like he could have beaten me 20 in a row. We played another game and if he could have continued with that barrage, the next bet would have been $200 and I would have sailed off into the sunset. Fortunately (for me), I played good that game and slowed that express train down and won the game going away. Now with the heat gone and the sweators disappointed, I was able to quit and go home. Dodging a potential disaster.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
If you prod I will play...

If you prod I will play...

Cowboy Dennis said:
Freddy,

I can't let this thread die, it was just getting good. With that spirit in mind:

Don't go patting yourself on the back for something that you didn't do.(Jeez, maybe SJD is right? No that can't be.) If you read post #10 you'll see the beginning of the "flame" war. It was all in jest from Ghosty and I misinterpreted it. Now you back it up and say you'll play:confused: . I don't blame you for feeling left out, after all, your name was brought up but not first by me.

I don't woof and I don't bark and I have no reason to insult you. I back up what I say I'll do and always have, so I'll just say this for the record. If you ever visit this way we'll play some "full rack" banks. As I already said, I have not done that in years and would enjoy it quite a bit. As to the bet, just pick a number between 25 and 200 and that's what we'll bet per game. We'll post up whatever you'd like so you can be assured of paying for your trip up here:cool: . Now how can you beat that offer?

Again, this is not a woof or bark, just a friendly offer to play a game(if you come this way) that I miss with someone who knows how to play it.

P.S. I hope you enjoy the music as much as I have:D .

P.SS. Nobody has any interest in your "old booty" mentioned at the end of your post:D .

Dennis

If I get up to the Big D, I will look your ass up.

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
You know me...

You know me...

karelin said:
Hmmm..... I am just a nobody, but about 6 years ago you asked me for 9-8 for 50 a game with The Greek(RIP) backing you. You pulled up after 2 games, lol.

...who are you? Did I know you then or now? I was making a point to John Henderson, someone who I know, about not wanting a spot from him. Why didnt you give the 9 to 8 up? You must have been laying for me. You couldnt have been too good of a customer if we havent played any more in six years.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
Now that's the kind of talk that I like!!!

Cowboy "The Big D" Dennis

Excuse me !!!......The one and only "Big D"...is DALLAS, TEXAS...The towns (actually, now destitute villages) you guys are talking about, are most often preceded with, 'little d" or "little c".....:p

Sand "Big P" Hound

PS..Also, they are occasionally refered to as, the "Motor" (mouth)...or, "Windy" (as in blowhard) cities..;)

PSS.. Beardmonster...Like I said,...It's YOUR story...Also, I would rather be dense, than "impenetrable"..:eek:
As you said, it was a different era, and I look on these guy's a little differently then you do...I'd like to think I helped toughen them up a little...I know I would have been an underdog to most of them when they peaked...EXCEPT at one pocket.. Heh,heh :D

Last edited:

karelin

fred bentivegna said:
...who are you? Did I know you then or now? I was making a point to John Henderson, someone who I know, about not wanting a spot from him. Why didnt you give the 9 to 8 up? You must have been laying for me. You couldnt have been too good of a customer if we havent played any more in six years.

Beard

I DID give you 9-8. You pulled up after 2 games. You were the customer, not I.

Why would I want to play you anymore? You pulled up after 2 games getting the spot that you asked for. Pretty nitty.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
karelin said:

Why would I want to play you anymore? You pulled up after 2 games getting the spot that you asked for. Pretty nitty.

Rod,...please bump this again !!!.:p ;) :rolleyes: :eek:

(but only if you want to light a firecracker on Fred's ass...:D)

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Again, who are you?

Again, who are you?

karelin said:

First off, if John the Greek was staking me, he seldom would go further than two barrels. Could have been many reasons why I quit. But who are you? You post has an AZ forum flavor to it. They are the only ones who are disrespectful and insult people they dont even know.
Myself, I'm world famous, and I'm certainly not famous for being a nit. If you have ever been to Derby City you would have seen the respect paid to me by the worlds best players. Alex, Efren, Frost, Jose, Cliff, etc., those people would not be respectful to a nit. Do they even say hello to you?

Beard
Are you a ringer hired by the Sand Idiot?