Derby WWYD #1 Ghost vs Massey

lll

Verified Member
Ok thanks so much. Ok for the aggressive shot, the 7 is better as it is not as sharp a cut as the 4 and may present less problems in the long run ok awesome.

Ok JB I am going to mess around with that kick and stick. I am having trouble seeing how to kick bank the 3 ball. Are you hitting the long rail first with low right and it cuts the 3 towards your pocket? So what rail are you hitting first with the cue ball? thanks...

I am so happy to even be conversing with you guys on here.
alex i was diagramming this for you as john was posting
kb1.jpg

kb2.jpg

John Brumback

Verified Member
alex i was diagramming this for you as john was posting
View attachment 9448

View attachment 9449
Perfect Larry!! I couldn't have hit it any better:lol Alex asked me..how do you not scratch? I told him.. you don't let it:lol Then I told him to practice..son! :p It's just a shot to have in the ol bag. It's won a me a few extra games against some top players.It'll make em scratch their heads too,haha JB

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Alex.....re. this particular shot situation, and related One Pocket strategy, I'm putting up this post for you, and the others that are on here to improve their One Pocket game...

To start out with let me just say that Mike Massey is a super nice guy - you couldn't find a nicer guy to play...

Alex, you wrote this awhile back re. my One Pocket manifesto/written learning tool ----->

Wow just wow.
THIS IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER READ!!!!
So with that said (by you) don't forget to refer back to it when looking at wwyd shot situations - it will help you to narrow down your options..for example, these two paragraphs excepted from it ----->

Your shot choice should always be predicated on the correct analysis of several factors - the primary ones being: Table layout, ball score, match score, pocket size, table conditions, who broke the balls - and also on the One Pocket playing style, knowledge, skill set, heart, and ego tendencies of your opponent....and of course, all shot choices must factor in your own skill set/ability.

And let me also stress this...before playing any important safety, it's crucial to analyze precisely, the very best place to leave the cueball in order to leave your opponent in the toughest possible return shot position...that said..before you shoot, whenever this can't be accurately determined from your shooting position..walking over to where you are thinking of leaving the cueball, and correctly envisioning your opponent's responding options is something that you should always do.

Ok then, to explain my analysis and decision in this particular shot situation...as Tom correctly and astutely suggested in post #14 (although actually, I would not categorize it as all that aggressive of a shot choice) ----->

If you want to play an aggressive shot, shoot the seven and go two rails for position on the bank on the nine. This is a far safer play and has the potential of winning the game if hit reasonably well.

Tom
...that was my choice...and his stating that playing position for the cross-corner bank next, thus making it a potential game-winner, was one big reason for choosing that shot option - more of my thinking/reasoning in choosing this shot...

Being ahead in the game, I don't like/want to open up the two spotted balls.

I know, and Mike knows, that I'm a big favorite in a moving battle between us, so that being the case, he's looking to play an aggressive match and fire at his hole...so I know that if I play the safety that opens up the two balls, leaving him on the bottom rail, he's going to be banking one of those four balls straight back for his next shot - and I can't double him up on all of them to prevent that...I do not want to leave him one of those straight back banks, giving him a chance to hit it great, make it and maybe run out - no way Jose.

I like, and hit well, thin cut shots (like the cut-shot on the 7ball).

I know that the cueball carom angle off of the object ball will not send me into the two spotted balls - and will, very likely, at pocket speed, leave me in a good spot to bank the bottom spotted ball next for my out shot.

I know that as long as I hit it at least halfway decent, I will not leave Mike any kind of shot after shooting the cut shot.

- Ghost

Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
Main reason I wouldn't take the kick, is I have no guarantee I will be hanging that three ball in the jaws. If the three comes up short on the long rail, I could easily leave my opponent a easily controllable lag cut on the seven, then a 3 ball bank and out.
Or the three might hit the seven or the eight and give him a better opportunity for an offensive shot.

lll

Verified Member
ghost in your responce to alex you said
Your shot choice should always be predicated on the correct analysis of several factors - the primary ones being: Table layout, ball score, match score, pocket size, table conditions, who broke the balls - and also on the One Pocket playing style, knowledge, skill set, heart, and ego tendencies of your opponent....and of course, all shot choices must factor in your own skill set/ability.
why would who broke the balls be a factor??

lll

Verified Member
Main reason I wouldn't take the kick, is I have no guarantee I will be hanging that three ball in the jaws. If the three comes up short on the long rail, I could easily leave my opponent a easily controllable lag cut on the seven, then a 3 ball bank and out.
Or the three might hit the seven or the eight and give him a better opportunity for an offensive shot.
i just diagrammed the shot so alex could see it and john brought it up not as THE SHOT BUT as one to look for thats there if you know it

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
ghost in your responce to alex you said
why would who broke the balls be a factor??

Larry....good eye, that you spotted that..but I'm gonna be secretive in this spot though, and not answer that :sorry..that's one of the info/strategy nuggets that I save for guys who take lessons from me - then after I tell them, I have to kill them..:eek:...:heh

- Ghost

LSJohn

Verified Member
why would who broke the balls be a factor?
Ghost may have a stronger reason, but I think that players who get down a ball or two on their break are more likely to get too aggressive and give you opportunities they shouldn't have. Chicago style on your opponent's break -- especially when you take even a small lead in the ball-count -- pays dividends in the long run, in my opinion.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Derby WWYD #1 Ghost vs Massey

Thanks for jumping in, Ghost. I hope you don't mind that I posted a pic from your match.

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
Ok awesome, thank you one pocket ghost and everyone, thank you so much. Ok referencing, "why would who broke the balls first be a factor" this is my opinion...
I think this is just important mentally. It is like breaking someone's serve in tennis.
Slowly you will begin to torture a player if you continuously beat them at a game that THEY have broken. You know the break is an advantage to a player in a game.
So if you are paying attention, although you should never let up mentally, you can feel a bit more at ease knowing you just broke the balls and the advantage is yours.
If your opponent has broken the balls, keep remembering this!!
because perhaps it will allow you to concentrate more to "try and break their serve".
Although of course, you should have the same focus all the time. If my opponent breaks first, and I beat them in that game, WOW HOW pumped up are you now!!! Because you just broke their serve and guess whose turn it is to break next?? YOURS! :)

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I think worrying about who broke the game in the middle of a one pocket match is just about the last thing your concentration should be on myself.

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
Not a continuous reminder that would take your focus off the game. The stronger you are mentally, you can think of anything you want actually and perform just fine. But this is not what I meant at all. If you think of it this way, then what about paying attention to how many balls your opponent has or how many you have before executing a shot? You are not thinking of this every single second of the match. But you are still being assertive and you must pay attention. Same thing as who broke. You can step back and analyze the table, analyze anything really including who broke, how many balls your opponent has etc...but once you make your decision and get down on the shot, complete tranquility.

androd

Verified Member
I think worrying about who broke the game in the middle of a one pocket match is just about the last thing your concentration should be on myself.
If you broke'em you might play a little safer in some spots. I never think about this, because I'll do whatever I like for the position I'm in. After the game I try to remember who won the flip so I'll know whose break it is. I don't remember ever thinking about who broke unless I'm thinking of quitting. (and it usually doesn't matter if I'm tired)
Rod.

lll

Verified Member
alex if you want to use the tennis analogy
do you think djokovic or nadal are thinking about who served in the middle of a 10-20 shot rally???
the implications of winning on your opponents break or losing on your break you could ponder after the game
but i dont understand why you should or what importance it has on your shot selection DURING the game.....:confused:
i know i still have alot to learn.....:eek:

lll

Verified Member
If you broke'em you might play a little safer in some spots. I never think about this, because I'll do whatever I like for the position I'm in. After the game I try to remember who won the flip so I'll know whose break it is. I don't remember ever thinking about who broke unless I'm thinking of quitting. (and it usually doesn't matter if I'm tired)
Rod.
thats how i thought you are supposed to play....:)