Derby Dispatches -- Day Six.

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
Question:

What’s wrong with this picture?

At the end of the SVB v. Justin Hall match, Pat Fleming announces: “There are no more matches they’re going to give us.”

Answer:

Almost everything. (Is wrong.)

Quote: “They’re going to give us.” Give us?

Excuse me?

Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of viewers should be supplicants? That is so 2000.

This tournament edict came down a little after 9 in the evening. Result? Paid viewers went flocking to free streams.

Flock, flock, flock.

The backdrop:

One of the most compelling one-pocket matches ever -- Darren v. Sylver had recently concluded.

Two of the most exciting youngish players -- SVB and Justin Hall had just finished.

The strongest commentary of the week -- Dr. Billy w/ Scott Frost had covered the last match.

So … “There are no more matches they’re going to give us?”

I’m no business maven, but …

If you put your paying clients at the mercy of old tournament protocols, if you allow the most vibrant communications company in the pool industry (Accu-Stats) to be at the whimsy of tournament dictates, if … well that ends up as simply a middle finger to paying clients.

After seeing the Accu-Stats secession of streaming rights, Goldman Sachs put out a ‘hold’ recommendation. Moody’s is evaluating bond ramifications.

The current business plan is short-sighted from the tournament’s POV; short-sighted from Accu-Stat’s POV.

Working in tandem, there must be a savvier formula for success.

The most exciting one-pocket match ever?

Yes. I think so!

If you buy one DVD in your life, buy the Sylver v. Darren one!

Down two games to one, Sylver was dead. Or so we thought!

Owing a ball, Sylver was looking at three balls buried / adjacent to Darren’s pocket.

The cue ball was frozen to the rail, a breath away from the two ball.

Sylver called for a monitor to authenticate his ‘both hands in the air’ shot.’

Bam!

Next … a tricky combo.

Bam!

Since he owed a ball at the start of his run, Sylver had to make nine shots -- all with the three balls almost buried in Darren’s pocket.

My dad watched it with me. He compared it to some USA Olympics college hockey team win against what was then the USSR pro team. The ‘do you believe in miracles?’ win.

His point? The USA’s victory was in the semi-finals. They still had to beat another country or their victory would have been somewhat hollow.

They did and so did Sylver. He won the fifth and deciding game. Another nail-biter. If one bites her nails, which one tries not to do.

Sidebar thoughts.

Danny D. was hit by a truck. Most vehicle victims are hit by cars.

I was informed that Niels has ‘the hottest girlfriend on the planet.’ Fine.

Hmm … she didn’t accompany him to the U. S. Open. Hmm.

The ‘Jersey Red’ shot: knocking a ball out of an opponent’s pocket? Danny D. watching Parica shooting the shot over and over: “He’s over-practicing a shot that may never come up.”

Who is Jersey Red?

Danny D. ‘The break in one-pocket is bigger than in any other game.’

Hi-tech commentator suggestion: take a pen and paper into the booth. Keep score of the game / ball counts. It’s not that difficult. (If I can do it when they ‘mod’ me … well, dammit, anyone can!)

Danny D. ‘Don’t do more than you know how to do.’

In the audience … nice to see two young boys watching one-pocket. Why aren’t they in school? Well, this is educational.

Danny D. On Darren v. Sylver: ‘It’s a puncher --Darren, the shot maker, against the boxer, Sylver, the more experienced one-pocket player.'

Is this true?

A while back I was in Georgia watching a golf game. (The parties were much more interesting than the matches! The golf attire? If you can’t say something nice, come sit next to me!)

Point? Someone knew of my burgeoning interest in pool. He posited that the second golf shot on one of those holes where you’re supposed to make it in five tries is similar to the shot following the break in a one-pocket game.

Random musings.

For a brief shining moment I thought Sylver was wearing an YSL tee. Alas.

Kudos to Accu-Stats. Super-imposing the game / ball score is a winning graphic!

Classic quote from Danny D. : ‘Pool players exaggerate 45% of the time.’ Similar to that other classic: ‘There are three kinds of people … those who understand math and those who don’t.’

Anyone else notice … eyelids division? Justin Hall / Nicholas Cage.

The courtesy handshake? Before the lag and after the denouement? Perfunctory.
Barely courteous. Seldom heartfelt. I’m not a scold … but couldn’t we inject some degree of … something?

Billy: ‘Hit it well enough and you deserve the luck you get.’

Scott: ‘Will bet you dinner SVB will run 8 and out.’ (He got four.)

Of commentator interest: the interaction between Billy and Scott was more detailed, more nuanced than any other matches I watched. They called for more use of the overhead and, thus, of the telestrator. It was interesting to learn that the booth is 40 - 50 feet away from the TV table.

Scott, reflecting on advice given to him: ‘The first shot you see might be a good one; look for six more.’

The interplay between Billy and Scott? Gentle tweaks back and forth. Scott’s willingness to cede to Billy’s seniority.

Was this snarky? No, I think accurate. Scott’s take on a dubious SVB shot … ‘Pretty careless and I hope it costs him the game.’

Commentator contention … Billy favors a four-rail safety. Scott: ‘It’s a sucker shot. I disbelieve in that shot.’

Soda update … Justin kept drinking Mountain Dew. SVB beat him three - zip. Lesson learned?

Scott’s outtake on the SVB v. Justin Hall match: ‘Maybe Justin’s friends bet a lot of money …’

A Tale of two Darrens.

Darren Appleton was both a perp and a victim in this year’s Derby.

He was was a participant in what exhaustive analyses by my crack research team have determined was the worst one-pocket match ever streamed (against Ike).

Darren was the loser in what has been determined to be the best one-pocket match ever streamed (against Sylver).

First amendment rights are my life,

Sunny

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Question:

What’s wrong with this picture?

At the end of the SVB v. Justin Hall match, Pat Fleming announces: “There are no more matches they’re going to give us.”

Answer:

Almost everything. (Is wrong.)

Quote: “They’re going to give us.” Give us?

Excuse me?

Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of viewers should be supplicants? That is so 2000.

This tournament edict came down a little after 9 in the evening. Result? Paid viewers went flocking to free streams.

Flock, flock, flock.

The backdrop:

One of the most compelling one-pocket matches ever -- Darren v. Sylver had recently concluded.

Two of the most exciting youngish players -- SVB and Justin Hall had just finished.

The strongest commentary of the week -- Dr. Billy w/ Scott Frost had covered the last match.

So … “There are no more matches they’re going to give us?”

I’m no business maven, but …

If you put your paying clients at the mercy of old tournament protocols, if you allow the most vibrant communications company in the pool industry (Accu-Stats) to be at the whimsy of tournament dictates, if … well that ends up as simply a middle finger to paying clients.

After seeing the Accu-Stats secession of streaming rights, Goldman Sachs put out a ‘hold’ recommendation. Moody’s is evaluating bond ramifications.

The current business plan is short-sighted from the tournament’s POV; short-sighted from Accu-Stat’s POV.

Working in tandem, there must be a savvier formula for success.

Sunny

When the SVB/Hall match ended Pat Fleming announced that all of the other one-pocket matches were already in progress. What would you have them do? Move to the TV table in the middle of a match? It's not Pat's fault that Hall can't play one-pocket.

It was very soon that Pat put Scott Frost & (Detroit Legend)Derek Pogirski on the TV table for their 9-Ball match that had been postponed so Frost could commentate the SVB/Hall match.

What more do you want? If you stayed at the stream you would've known these things. Pat announced several times they were trying to get a game for the TV table and he did get it.

There are so many wrong things in your post it's not worth responding to anymore.

Dennis

Jimmy B

Verified Member
That was a great match. All of the other one pocket matches were in progress and they were not going to ask them to move to the tv table, however if you hung around, they did wind up with Scott back up there playing a nine ball match. He destroyed some fellow in that match. I think the problem with streaming is that you are too dependent on others. It's like if I have somebody over to my place to watch boxing or some movie. If the cable goes out, about all I can do is unplug the cable converter box and plug it back up. I think that worked one time in my life. You just wait for it to come back on. It's a lot better than the early days when it would go out about every time a shower of rain came by. And my cable company is also my ISP so sometimes they both go out and sometimes just one of them.

The four railer was not really a safety. Dr. Bill was talking about shooting the ball in. Scott disagreed strongly on that shot. I agree with Scott. I don't know much about Mr. McCoy, who taught Scott how to play op. Does anyone know much about him??

JAM

Verified Member
Neils girlfriend is now his wife with a child, but you are correct, Katrina is the most beautiful girl on the planet.

Nice-looking couple for sure! :cool:

Katrina can also play a little. Seen her in action in Laurel, MD a few years back. While Neils was playing one-pocket on one table, a brand-new game to him at that time, Katrina was gambling right alongside him in a game of straight pool with a local. ;)

Attachments

• Katrina and Niels.JPG
    Katrina and Niels.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 0

SJDinPHX

Suspended
It's not Pat's fault that Hall can't play one-pocket..It was very soon that Pat put Scott Frost & well known, Hamtramck Legend <--???Derek Pogirski??? on the TV table for their 9-Ball match..If you stayed at the stream you would've known these things. Pat announced several times they were trying to get a game for the TV table and he did get it.<--See my take on that, in my (*) "analogy comparison" in JimmyB's post, you moron !
If you stayed at the stream you would've known these things. Pat announced several times they were trying to get a game for the TV table and he did get it..There are so many wrong things in your post it's not worth responding to anymore..NO, You are the idiot not worthy of a response..:rolleyes:

Dennis

Denise,

I suggest you re-read my original "RANT" post, you f-ing doorknob !..The only thing I'm blaming ALL the streamers for, is for the last 8-9 years, they have done absolutely NOTHING to rectify the problems they now KNOW are coming..In fact, if anything, it's getting worse !..Thank God you aren't running things, We'd be watching a delayed, "Square-Pants Bob", advertised as "Winnie the Pooh" !..:eek:

Even our clever [sic] media, learned how to handle adversity, years ago...When faced with a remote location, (or a lack of room, as in a small courtroom) they shared sponsors, and appointed ONE entity, to represent them ALL !..End of 'Bandwidth" shortage, immediately...If NBC,CBS,ABC,and FOX, can do it, why can't a few 'lowly pool streamers' come up with something similar ?.:confused:

I also blame ALL the streamer's, AND the tournament organizer's for not dealing with the one thing they CAN control..and that is SCHEDULING !..We are supposed to be in the 'INFORMATION AGE' aren't we ?..It is obvious, (at least to me) that that the PPV guy's AND the DCC guy's, operate just like the FBI and the CIA operated, in years past..They DO NOT believe in sharing ANY information..Even an 'IMBECILE' like you, should be able to see that..:frus

Here is JimmyB's similar response.. And I'd always thought he was smarter than RBL ?..:rolleyes:
JimmyB said:
All of the other one pocket matches were in progress and they were not going to ask them to move to the tv table, however if you hung around, they did wind up with Scott back up there playing a nine ball match. He destroyed some fellow in that match. I think the problem with streaming is that you are too dependent on others. It's like if I have somebody over to my place to watch boxing or some movie. If the cable goes out, about all I can do is unplug the cable converter box and plug it back up. I think that worked one time in my life. You just wait for it to come back on.

Hate to say it Jimmy, but your (*)analogy, is about as close as RBL's..As per my RANT thread, I would compare it to inviting your friends over to watch a PPV, Heavyweight Championship fight, and only being able to offer them an exciting "Amatuer Ping-Pong" match ! :eek:...Furthermore, assume they shared the cost of the PPV with you..You would no doubt be beaten quite severely, or worse...Plus, your nice big screen TV would be rendered 'un-watchable' forever !..:(

Super 'Problem Solver' McDuck <--Would not want either of these guy's on his team ! :cool:

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Denise,

I suggest you re-read my original "RANT" post, you f-ing doorknob !..The only thing I'm blaming ALL the streamers for, is for the last 8-9 years, they have done absolutely NOTHING to rectify the problems they now KNOW are coming..In fact, if anything, it's getting worse !..Thank God you aren't running things, We'd be watching a delayed, "Square-Pants Bob", advertised as "Winnie the Pooh" !..:eek:

Even our clever [sic] media, learned how to handle adversity, years ago...When faced with a remote location, (or a lack of room, as in a small courtroom) they shared sponsors, and appointed ONE entity, to represent them ALL !..End of 'Bandwidth" shortage, immediately...If NBC,CBS,ABC,and FOX, can do it, why can't a few 'lowly pool streamers' come up with something similar ?.:confused:

I also blame ALL the streamer's, AND the tournament organizer's for not dealing with the one thing they CAN control..and that is SCHEDULING !..We are supposed to be in the 'INFORMATION AGE' aren't we ?..It is obvious, (at least to me) that that the PPV guy's AND the DCC guy's, operate just like the FBI and the CIA operated, in years past..They DO NOT believe in sharing ANY information..Even an 'IMBECILE' like you, should be able to see that..:frus

Super 'Problem Solver' McDuck <--Would not want either of these guy's on his team ! :cool:

Damn Ducky, did they let you stay at the Deli for the last 16 hours?:):p:D:eek:LOLROTFLMFAO

P.S. Don't be messing with our Detroit legends, Derek Pogirski has a heart like a lion.

P.Ps. Your boy Appleton is getting his nuts shot in right now by Hohman in 9-Ball.

RBL

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Denise,

Here is JimmyB's similar response.. And I'd always thought he was smarter than RBL ?..:rolleyes:

Hate to say it Jimmy, but your (*)analogy about as close as RBL's..As per my RANT thread, I would compare it to inviting your friends over to watch a PPV, Heavyweight Championship fight, and only being able to offer them an exciting "Amatuer Ping-Pong" match ! :eek:...Furthermore, assume they shared the cost of the PPV with you..You would no doubt be beaten quite severely, or worse...Plus, your nice big screen TV would be rendered 'un-watchable' forever !..:(

Well if somebody was over watching a ppv (or if I'm by myself) and the cable goes out, it's still the same thing. What can I do?? Pat (Accu-stat) was screwed up by Paypal. Hard to do nine days for twelve or so hrs a day and have perfect scheduling for live competitions. If there was a little money in it. Well Justin can tell us all about that @ TAR. No get rich quick deal. I predict your Super Bowl game is going to screw up on Sunday. Just like AZ z hole Billiards...:)... I've bought streams maybe 20 times. No real complaints so far, but I'm all for improving. I'm big on improving things too..

SJDinPHX

Suspended
P.S. Don't be messing with our Detroit legends, Derek Pogirski has a heart like a lion..:rolleyes: :eek: :cool: ;)

RBL

Probably more like a Coyote...:D

PS..Yes, I know..Katrina (Mrs. Fiejen) and I, are watching the Hohman/Appleton match, together at the Deli now.:)..They have Niels scheduled up next...We'll both feel better, when we see the whites of his eyes...(us "Claim Jumpers" always like to know where the "Jumpee" is, for sure)...Hope its not ANOTHER scheduling snafu..:lol :lol :lol..:cool:

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Pat (Accu-stat) was screwed up by Paypal. Hard to do nine days for twelve or so hrs a day and have perfect scheduling for live competitions. If there was a little money in it. Well Justin can tell us all about that @ TAR..<---Eggzackly my point, James..Get better, or get out !

I've bought streams maybe 20 times. No real complaints so far, but I'm all for improving. I'm big on improving things too..

James...Either you're on Pat and Justin's payroll now,... or your nose is growing !..:eek: :eek:

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
James...Either you're on Pat and Justin's payroll now,... or your nose is growing !..:eek: :eek:

Naw. I'm just easy to please I guess. I don't know about the streamers cooperating together. I heard that Pat from Accustats pitched a fit this morning and started slinging the Inside Pool Streamers equipment around and then got them shut down from showing any pool on the main floors. So that's not a good sign to say the least.

I found in my experiences that the streams that I paid for were pretty good. I especially was pleased with Accustat streams. I have not viewed any at all from The Big Truck man as of yet. No reason. I just haven't got hooked up with him. Only Justin and Accustat. But like I said, I'm easy. I remember when cable first got going good around here. That was when you could really pay a cable man fifty to a hundred to hook it up on the side, or some people would do it themselves. I remember I could get Ted Turners channel which gave me lots of Braves Baseball and movies. Then ESPN so I could watch Top Rank Boxing and some pool etc. Then there were just a couple of other channels. And I thought that was the absolute nuts. I use to say if all those selections can't entertain you, then nothing could. Later on they came out with the descrambler boxes. I won't go into all of that. But it became hard to decide what to watch. Overload. Now theres internet to boot.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I predict your Super Bowl game is going to screw up on Sunday.

What did I tell ya?? They can't even keep the lights on for 4 or 5 hours to have a football game. I want to hear all the streaming bashers give them hell now..;)