Derby city

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I see that Gary Abood beat Bustamante in the 5th round, so Gary is undefeated so far. He's a good player from South Louisiana. He won a regional 1P tournament that I put on several years ago. Hope he stays on a roll!

~Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
In bank pool, the races are too short. They should play 11 ball banks, or at least races to 4. As it is, the first guy to get 15 balls wins the match! With the short races, luck and the rolls play too much of an important part. That's why there's been so many different winners over the years. Now, Greg is not going to change it, but he should..:cool:

~Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I see that Gary Abood beat Bustamante in the 5th round, so Gary is undefeated so far. He's a good player from South Louisiana. He won a regional 1P tournament that I put on several years ago. Hope he stays on a roll!

~Doc

He is from SoCal Doc. I first saw saw him play in the early 90’s and he was a pretty good player then. Looks like his game blossomed in the south.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Anyone know what happened with Scott Frost? Looks like he lost his first 1P match in the 3rd round, but didn't buy back. Maybe he was disgusted. I know he hates tournament play. Did he get sick?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
He is from SoCal Doc. I first saw saw him play in the early 90’s and he was a pretty good player then. Looks like his game blossomed in the south.
Ha!! You are both wrong lol -- he is originally from NH and he still has family around here. I believe he was in the service in SoCal, which is where the esteemed Mr. Henderson ran into him early 90's would be about right, because right after that he came back to this area.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Every year, in the 1pocket division, once you get to the 7th-8th round all the wannabees/hopetobees are gone, and only the pro players and semi-pro players are left.....but at that point in the tournament, sometimes there will be just one player still in with the pro's that's an unfamiliar name, and that's the case this year: the name is Jesus Atencio - anybody know him, and where he's from?

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Every year, in the 1pocket division, once you get to the 7th-8th round all the wannabees/hopetobees are gone, and only the pro players and semi-pro players are left.....but at that point in the tournament, sometimes there will be just one player still in with the pro's that's an unfamiliar name, and that's the case this year: the name is Jesus Atencio - anybody know him, and where he's from?

I was wondering same thing - some youtube vids out there.....

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

Ok, I found him out...he's from Venezuela and he's just a kid - 20 years old - world rotation pool reports say that he's a tremendous young talent...but where'd he learn to play One Pocket?

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Ok, I found him out...he's from Venezuela and he's just a kid - 20 years old - world rotation pool reports say that he's a tremendous young talent...but where'd he learn to play One Pocket?

ghosty…..I know he's been going for a few years now....but.....omar al shaheen from Kuwait is a freakin monster also.....o_O

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
watched the hall chohan match. came down to last two balls on the table and tony failed to take out a ball after playing a bunch of great shots which was justins out ball

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The way I read the 1P list is that Justin Hall and Roberto Gomez have no losses, whereas Billy Thorpe, Robert Frost, Omar Al Shaheen, Chris Melling, Joshua Filler, and Jesus Atencio all have one loss. All the marquee names are out, so we may be seeing a gradual shift in the top echelon.

Ghost hipped us to Atencio, but I don't know much about Filler, Melling, or even R. Frost either.

Like to see Justin Hall win it. He's been banging around the top for a number years now. Maybe this will be his year. He's won at Tunica, but not the DCC.

I see that Billy Thorpe has got a great chance at "Master of the Table". If he does well in the 9-ball he should get it. I wonder if anyone has ever gotten the MOT without winning either of the 3 events?

~Doc