Derby city

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Yeah John...Nick was/is waay better commentating than Mark Wilson or D.D.

Also...the semi-final of Gomez vs. Melling may be the all time worst DCC semi-final. (n)
And it was!! I don't like watching Gomez play One Pocket, sorry to you guys down there at Bogies where he seems to be hanging these days. Too long to shoot and likes to push up table -- which by the way seems to be the one "strategy" that non-1P but pro players seem to learn first -- at least to their minds. It makes for the worst One Pocket to watch if you ask me.

On the other hand, Hall vs Thorpe in the finals was a genuine shoot out between two great bankers who both play top One Pocket. Justin must have figured if he was going to win it was by being aggressive, so he was very aggressive in shot selections. It worked well enough for him to get to hill-hill, with him breaking the final game. Sounds good right? Unfortunately he left a bank on the opening break and 8 and out went Thorpe for the title!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I was pulling for J. Hall, but glad to see Thorpe win it too. That's his second DCC 1P win (2017). I think he's a lock for the Master of the Table award as well.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
And it was!! I don't like watching Gomez play One Pocket, sorry to you guys down there at Bogies where he seems to be hanging these days. Too long to shoot and likes to push up table -- which by the way seems to be the one "strategy" that non-1P but pro players seem to learn first -- at least to their minds. It makes for the worst One Pocket to watch if you ask me.

On the other hand, Hall vs Thorpe in the finals was a genuine shoot out between two great bankers who both play top One Pocket. Justin must have figured if he was going to win it was by being aggressive, so he was very aggressive in shot selections. It worked well enough for him to get to hill-hill, with him breaking the final game. Sounds good right? Unfortunately he left a bank on the opening break and 8 and out went Thorpe for the title!

Looks like they all won on the other guys break? 1/2” more on the cue ball on the last game could have changed things around for Justin, but it was a nice eight and out For Billy. The Markulis Memorial is next week at Hard Times, Sacramento and Oscar said Thorpe was thinking about coming. He beat our local action guy ‘The Roofer’ out of 11k last time he was here.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

Jennifer Barretta beats Tony Chohan in round 4 of the 9ball this afternoon...my guess is that Jennifer probably cared more about winning this match than Tony did.

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
You and me both brother...I just got home from 6 hours at the hospital, having tests for a coupla different things - test results weren't too bad though...

I'm gonna go have a small drink now and toast to good health for all of us One Pocket guys 60-85 years old 🔆
Of course you know Ghost, that age bracket includes moi.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

Jennifer Barretta beats Tony Chohan in round 4 of the 9ball this afternoon...my guess is that Jennifer probably cared more about winning this match than Tony did.
Before T-Rex nationalized his game, I put Tony in a few matches. The shots he would shoot. After a few games $500 a game, I took him aside and asked him if he wanted to play nine ball or one pocket. We went back, another couple thousand down the drain. Tony could be one of the best and he is, sometimes. If he had the dedication of Shane, Dennis, etc. he could be the man. Jennifer is dedicated. She shows it by beating Tony.

unoperro

Verified Member
Oh boy. Thorpe got a lucky kiss on his bank safety to start the run. Still, he made a good 7 & out. Too bad Hall didn't get a chance to play in the final game.

I think he played the kiss.

I think he got lucky to be able see enough of the ball to move the ball,and have it laying just right for the kiss off.😉

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
I think he played the kiss.

I think he got lucky to be able see enough of the ball to move the ball,and have it laying just right for the kiss off.😉
I think he played the kiss but a kiss that thin is not an automatic shot.

I don't think he moved the 10 enough with his cue stick to make any difference.:rolleyes:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The kiss shot had to be hit way too thin for a legitimate attempt. He may have been thinking that he had a 2-way shot, because a couple of balls would move toward his pocket. We've all done it: play a gather shot, and one drops.

He was trying to get the CB uptable behind the stack, but he didn't. If he had, there would have been no followup shot.