Deadly Efren Trap - WWYD

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Something a little different. This comes from a game at the height of Efren's 1P ability. His cue ball control and insight into the game is unparalleled. In this game he sets a very serious trap for Alex, with perfect accuracy.

I'll go ahead and tell you, Alex tried in desperation to use the pink 4 to kick out the ball in Efren's hole and wasn't able to pull it off. Alex didn't shoot again this game and Efren went on to win the entire match easily.

If you were in this position, what would you do? What would be your strategy to turn this around?

P.S. This will be my last WWYD for a while, I'm headed overseas for a couple of weeks. There isn't anything else to post for this, it's all theory from here on.

Tylerbob

Verified Member
I would try a long rail kick at the ball in front of this pocket with rt english to get around the obstructing balls. If it goes in at pocket speed the cue ball should die on the tend rail with banking lanes blocked.

Be safe in your travels.

keoneyo

Verified Member
I notice Alex is in the negative -2. Is he on the 3 foul hill? If not I probably take a scratch and double Efren up by putting him up in the kitchen on his side of the table.
I could take a thin hit on the 15 and roll the ball under the black ball but I dont like that.
If Im on 2 fouls I bank the 1 ball to my hole with top right hoping I come off the 2 and leave whitey on the long rail in the kitchen on Efrens side.

Last edited:

Nick B

Verified Member
Take a foul. Double him up and make him worry about the side pocket. Placement is crucial

Attachments

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I notice Alex is in the negative -2. Is he on the 3 foul hill? If not I probably take a scratch and double Efren up by putting him up in the kitchen on his side of the table.
I could take a thin hit on the 15 and roll the ball under the black ball but I dont like that.
If Im on 2 fouls I bank the 1 ball to my hole with top right hoping I come off the 2 and leave whitey on the long rail in the kitchen on Efrens side.
He's not on the 2 foul here, that was from earlier in the match. Great question though!

Wayne

Verified Member
Take a foul. Double him up and make him worry about the side pocket. Placement is crucial
This would work well unless you are playing a pro. All Efren would do is roll the cueball back to where it was and you are left with the same problem or he might make it a little worse by rolling the cueball up against the 4 balls by the spot. If you can double him up by going off the 2 ball it is a much better shot.

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
If left doubled up perfect on the top rail, with no angle to shoot the combination and get safe, I think Efren would kick at Alex's long rail and bump the 10 ball over a little and you'd be in worse shape than you are now.

I'm with TylerBob on this one, the ball in his pocket has to be dealt with now. Up table one rail kick with a 1/2 tip of high RHE and I'd hit it a little harder than pocket speed just in case I didn't make it, I'd want to move it a little outside of the jaws in case it double kissed.

Thanks for the wwyd's and travel well...

Nick B

Verified Member
This would work well unless you are playing a pro. All Efren would do is roll the cueball back to where it was and you are left with the same problem or he might make it a little worse by rolling the cueball up against the 4 balls by the spot. If you can double him up by going off the 2 ball it is a much better shot.
I would agree but an inch here or there would make a huge difference and might be all the air he needs to get out of trap

Nick B

Verified Member
If left doubled up perfect on the top rail, with no angle to shoot the combination and get safe, I think Efren would kick at Alex's long rail and bump the 10 ball over a little and you'd be in worse shape than you are now.

I'm with TylerBob on this one, the ball in his pocket has to be dealt with now. Up table one rail kick with a 1/2 tip of high RHE and I'd hit it a little harder than pocket speed just in case I didn't make it, I'd want to move it a little outside of the jaws in case it double kissed.

When an alligator has you by the throat I look for any air. He still has to execute and it doesn't have to end up perfect.

keoneyo

Verified Member

The thing I question about this shot is that I dont want to leave Efren downstairs looking at all those balls under the rack. I would have to be fortuitous to leave him hidden. If I dont I will be in deeper trouble

I rather leave him upstairs where he has to make sure he doesnt leave air for me. I can do this 95% of the time. The one rail kick is 50/50

I think Waynes suggestion that he come off the 2 putting him doubled up on his side is good but requires some skill. Easy with the mouse but not so 8 feet away. It does leave Alex ahead one step though if Efren decides to take a scratch in response. But then again you might leave a cross bank with the 2 as well.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
P.S. This will be my last WWYD for a while, I'm headed overseas for a couple of weeks. There isn't anything else to post for this, it's all theory from here on.
Hurry back. You've become a big part of the life's blood around here. :)

Regarding the trap, I'd have to see exactly where a straight-ahead on the 15 would go. Looks like it might either make the 15 and kick out the 12, or come off the bottom rail and cross the 12 out or make it. If either of those are on, I'd follow CB to the foot rail. If the straight-ahead on the 15 clips the 5, that might work too, if CB doesn't get double-kissed by 5 or 15. If any of these are on, CB straight ahead to the bottom rail (and up if it comes into 12.) They all require perfect hit on 15 so...... :confused:

1pwannabe

Verified Member
There's the bank on the 1 ball back to your hole, with the cue ball glancing off the 2 and heading to Efren's long rail. But if the bank misses I think it's game over as well. Shooting off the rail like that (not an accident btw) makes that bank 25/75 for a good player, maybe 40-60 for a top pro.

sappo

Verified Member
I would try a long rail kick at the ball in front of this pocket with rt english to get around the obstructing balls. If it goes in at pocket speed the cue ball should die on the tend rail with banking lanes blocked.

Be safe in your travels.
I'm definitely playing this kick. keith

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I'm with TylerBob and the few others. The head rail kick is to a huge ball, and it doesn't matter if it goes in the hole.

What I don't like about any shot trying to double him up is that it leaves a rail first combo that is an easy shot, with room to hit it poorly and still make it.

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
I'm with TylerBob and the few others. The head rail kick is to a huge ball, and it doesn't matter if it goes in the hole.

What I don't like about any shot trying to double him up is that it leaves a rail first combo that is an easy shot, with room to hit it poorly and still make it.

~Doc
Are you thinking of rai-first on the 14, or shooting the 14 to rail-first the 12?

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Deadly Efren Trap - WWYD

My first thought is the double-up up table as was suggested. After that I'm debating between the 1 rail kick or the 3 rail kick. I think I would kick 1 rail.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I noticed the same thing with the scratches, very good.