DCC - random comments

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
There were some interesting things which occurred at the Derby. In a TV table one-pocket match between Frost and Brumback, JB was faced with a leave in which he had to elevate his cue to full masse level in order to nip a ball out of the stack to stay safe. It was a good shot, but after a brief pause, Frost came over and said to JB that it was a foul. He said that his cue had brushed two balls which slightly moved them. John didn’t think it was a foul, since it was “cueball fouls only”, and I was in agreement from the stands.

However, Scott called for Ken Schuman, and after a discussion Schuman did rule it a foul. John accepted it without comment, put a coin up, and took his seat. One or two observers questioned Schuman’s call, but he told them that he could take care of it by himself, and didn’t need their input (which was true).

So there is a difference between the DCC 1P rules, and our own from 1po. If they’d been using our rules, providing there was no other foul on the stroke, then the Frost would simply have been allowed to replace the two balls as close as possible to their original position. I like our rules better.

Playing out the bank pool finals in the middle of the night was a travesty. They always used to play the final few matches on Tuesday. This year they insisted on finishing it out Monday, even though they had 387 players (I believe) in the banks. Their decision probably cost Brumback a third DCC banks title. Obvious fatigue had set in, and John was missing what would normally be hangers for him.

Buddy Hall was waiting for his opponent to show for a banks match in an upstairs room. During the lull a young man very timidly approached Buddy to ask him what kind of cue he was using. Buddy smiled, stuck out the cue to him, and said, “Here, why don’t you hit some balls with it.” The guy’s eyes got real wide, and he gingerly reached out for the cue. He did hit some shots, and actually ran about 7-8 balls. When he handed the cue back to Buddy and thanked him, the kid had a bad stammer, and was obviously not real bright. Buddy then engaged him in a little conversation until Buddy had to go. I guarantee you that that kid will never, ever forget his contact and kindness from the great Buddy Hall.

For me, the most interesting player to watch in the whole event was Chris Gentile from Chicago. He’s a professional poker player and a fearsome after hours 1P player. He man-handled both John Schmidt and Buddy Hall 3-1. He certainly can run balls, but his true strength is a lock-down Chicago squeeze style which completely frustrates his opponents. His other strengths are an unflappable demeanor, a kind of hip chicness, and a self-assured attitude which seems to unconsciously impart to his opponents that they really don’t have much of a chance. I was picking Gentile to get into the 1P final 6 or so, but I don’t know where he ended up. I think he was up all night Tuesday night playing an action match (Brad Smith?), so he might not have been in good shape for his matches Wednesday. I’m sure the action money is more important to him than the tournament. As a matter of fact, I’m surprised that he showed his stuff in a big tourney. That was his “coming out”, so he probably won’t now be able to get the same games.

To my delight, the shuttles from the hotel to the venue ran much more often this year than they did two years ago. I had to make the long trek only about ½ the time. The hotel is very nice, but they nickel & dime you to death. Everything placed in the room tempts one to use it, and to be charged for it. I’m surprised they didn’t charge for turning on the lights! There were more food choices available this year right near the venue: sandwiches, salads, pastries, drinks—all no more costly than, say, New York City…

There seemed to have been slightly fewer tables this year. I believe in 2009 that there were 63 tables. I’d guess that there were 6-8 fewer this year. They’ve mostly ironed out the computer scheduling system, so that ran fairly smoothly. All the match times were posted in advance, and the pertinent web pages were streamed to the hotel TV system. There are still common problems with scheduling when players have not finished the Banks division, but yet are currently scheduled to play one-pocket matches. Many of the matches are postponed until the next day, which then causes the waiting player to have to re-group. The banks may have been the largest division—at least much larger than the 1P, so they’ll have to factor that in for ensuing years.

Doc

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
It's common in my area that if you move 1 OB, its not a foul, but if you move 2 OB's, it is a foul...

Frost wanted to win no matter what. I was waiting to watch his match with Mika. Frost was there on time, and immediately went to the tournament desk to put Mika on the clock. When he found out the tournament desk was trying to get a hold of Mika on the phone, he said to them "Why are you calling Mika? That is not your responsibility".

Even though I was betting against Frost, he did everything within the rule set to win. I respect that.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
You're right on Doc -- and, it was great to see you, too!

There always seem to be more players in the Banks than anything else. It also has the lowest cost entry fee, and the prize money consequently is down compared to One Pocket and 9-Ball.

Ironically, I was wondering if they finished the Banks on Monday so they would not interfere with the HOF dinner, what with John being inducted and all. I also remember it as always finishing Tuesday night.

They were right on time with the One Pocket finals.

I didn't hear of any computer glitches either -- hopefully they are done with that problem for good.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Highly....

Highly....

....interesting stories Doc,especially the number of bankers compared to 1P players.Speaking of the fairly unknown player from Chicago[Chris G] its amazing to think of all the great players who weren't there but reside somewhere in America playing world class pool as we speak/type.What a glorious and shadowy game this,cheers and thanks,Bob

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Clare, in view of the fact that you have known a gambling player, I am a little surprised that Dippy's attendance offended you. I was not there, and I have no idea how much money he won or lost - he may not know, himself - but he's not out of place in any back room of any pool room. I have not heard that he had any impact on the tournament at all, except maybe thru the players who may have stayed up too late playing him. I'm not aware that he was featured in any coverage of the DCC.

Dippy went thru the back room and the TAR room like a gallon of pluto water, and if John the Baptist shows up next year with a comparable sack of c-notes, the same players will stand in line to take the plunge with him. They all knew what they were doing, but a number of them didn't do it right. He didn't rob any widows or children, only grownup men. (Well, anyway, you know what I mean) All volunteers.

I am certain that all over the country, the gambling players are chuckling over Dippy's trip to the DCC venue. He entertained, via TAR, a helluva lot of people. I'm truly sorry to hear that he ruined your enjoyment of the greatest tournament around.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Clare said:
Thanks, Doc. So glad to hear your thoughts. I relied on the posts on this forum to stay apprised of the goings-on. This is just my very humble opinion: I am completely befuddled and disappointed with the entire DCC this year. The reason being a "Dippy". In my opinion, he was a detriment, not to mention an affront, to pool players.

What bothers me most, is that he lured the champions into his web. I wish it would all go away.

Clare
Clare, Peat's attendance must have given an exaggerated impression online. There really wasn't that much hubbub about him. See my post in Sunny's "tale of two DCC's" thread.

Doc

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Post call comments to Scott from Ken.

John B didn't have any issues with the call. Scott seemed to have a notion about the ruling that he didn't want to let go. Ken was trying to explain and Scott just ignored him.

Attachments

• ken scott.JPG
    ken scott.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 1

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
If you move 2 or more balls it is a foul, when 2 balls are frozen and you touch either one of them then it is a foul because contact will obviously make both move. John took the penalty and there was no real problem until Scott told John he was on 2 which I was over 25 feet away and heard with no problem as did others but John did not and then he fouled again and that is where the problem lied. John did not know he was on 2 that is for sure because if he did then he would not have shot the way he did and he also is a stand up guy without question.

Scott and him are friends so I think people made it to be more than it really was. Perhaps John can way in on it and tell us more. I did not see John move the 2 balls in question but I am curious as to why the ref cant reference the Accu-Stats tape and check to see if it was moved. If a ref is not present the call usually goes to the shooter which was John but John took the foul without much protest really.

I will be interested in seeing this match on tape to see if the balls were moved and also where Scott said he was on 2. The other match I am dying to see is Busty vs Rafael Martinez, I watched some it in person but I was in a daze and drinking the sauce, he ran so many racks it was unreal! :eek:

JAM

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
Clare, Peat's attendance must have given an exaggerated impression online. There really wasn't that much hubbub about him. See my post in Sunny's "tale of two DCC's" thread.

Doc

Enjoyed your trip report, Doc! As usual, you captured essence of the venue. Well done and a good read! :)

I am disappointed in the way pool has turned out in the year 2011. It used to be people enjoyed seeing high-caliber players battle it out on a field of green, whether in a tournament setting or action. Those days are long gone, I'm afraid. Maybe nobody wants to admit it, but it's the truth.

Today, anybody with a wad of cash and a desire to be the center of attention can buy their place in the pool world. It doesn't matter that they can't run four balls in a row.

I am so glad I was able to enjoy pool when it shined the brightest. For me personally, due to the turn of events in the past few years in the American pool culture, pool is dead for me today. I just don't recognize it anymore. :(

Fortunately, professional pool will thrive overseas in Asian-Pacific Islander countries and the ASEAN regions. In these environments, it is the champions who can actually play pool who are the pool stars. So, on a good note, professional pool will continue to live happily ever after, just not in these United States.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
JAM said:
Enjoyed your trip report, Doc! As usual, you captured essence of the venue. Well done and a good read! :)

I am disappointed in the way pool has turned out in the year 2011. It used to be people enjoyed seeing high-caliber players battle it out on a field of green, whether in a tournament setting or action. Those days are long gone, I'm afraid. Maybe nobody wants to admit it, but it's the truth.

Today, anybody with a wad of cash and a desire to be the center of attention can buy their place in the pool world. It doesn't matter that they can't run four balls in a row.

I am so glad I was able to enjoy pool when it shined the brightest. For me personally, due to the turn of events in the past few years in the American pool culture, pool is dead for me today. I just don't recognize it anymore. :(

Fortunately, professional pool will thrive overseas in Asian-Pacific Islander countries and the ASEAN regions. In these environments, it is the champions who can actually play pool who are the pool stars. So, on a good note, professional pool will continue to live happily ever after, just not in these United States.
The thing I give Dippy credit for is that he is doing the best he can with his talent. I think he is a smart guy, but with limited pool execution skills, i.e. he will never shoot as well as the pros because he just doesn't have that kind of natural ability. But he enjoys the action, he moves well at One Pocket (over-reaching his execution abilities often of course -- but that's what happens when you just are not a top player). I think in that regard, he is living the dream that a lot of us would have -- we would all like to shoot like a pro, but realistically, only a few ever will -- but if we had the extra cash, why not put it in play doing what you love against the best in the world?

It's just gambling -- he didn't buy his way into the tournament finals or anything. Gambling has had a tradition of somewhat lessor players with lots of money that have helped fuel pool over the years, right?

JAM

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
The thing I give Dippy credit for is that he is doing the best he can with his talent. I think he is a smart guy, but with limited pool execution skills, i.e. he will never shoot as well as the pros because he just doesn't have that kind of natural ability. But he enjoys the action, he moves well at One Pocket (over-reaching his execution abilities often of course -- but that's what happens when you just are not a top player). I think in that regard, he is living the dream that a lot of us would have -- we would all like to shoot like a pro, but realistically, only a few ever will -- but if we had the extra cash, why not put it in play doing what you love against the best in the world?

It's just gambling -- he didn't buy his way into the tournament finals or anything. Gambling has had a tradition of somewhat lessor players with lots of money that have helped fuel pool over the years, right?

I understand what you mean. I just never worshiped money the way some do, especially in the pool world.

I have witnessed some who don't care if a pool person is vulgar, vile, and rude to others, but if they have deep pockets, they are a good guy in the pool world. I actually am referring in general about people who boast about how high they can stack it. I am not referring to any one individual. In fact, my partner and I have had discussions about this very topic, and he disagrees with my opinion.

It is a shame, IMHO, that money gives anyone credence in the pool world. I would rather like to think a person who can play proficiently would be what is attractive to a pool audience. I realize I may be in the minority with this view.

My personal preference, I'd just rather watch good play between two warriors. Money does make it interesting for sure. I have seen my partner give a guy 3 and out for 5 dimes a pop. Should it be televised or given credence in the pool world as a great match to behold? I'm not so sure. Truth be told, I believe the person getting the weight wanted to play a champion in front of a bunch of people. He did, in fact, enjoy the limelight, and he paid for this special attention to the tune of five figures when the dust settled.

I think all of us have seen deep-pocketed pool players like this in our travels. They have the money and want to be in the thick of it. They may not be able to play as good as the pros, so they do the next best thing. They buy their way into the limelight. "The Emperor's New Clothes" comes to mind.

There used to be an owner of a pool room in Tennessee that played every champion who came to town, as long as they gave him weight. He also happened to have an archery range in his pool room. It was a pretty cool place. Anybody who went on the road in the '70s and '80s will know about this spot. If memory serves me right, it was Morrison, Tennessee.

The owner enjoyed playing in front of his hometown crowd. The spots he received were ridiculous, but he always had the dough and was ready to play. This pool room owner was a mark on every road player's trip. Poor man eventually was shot to death by his wife.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
JAM said:
I know what you're driving at, JAM. Almost all the past class and character of tournament pool and its contestants have steadily drifted out the window over the past 20 years. But yet there is still some magic when top players compete in high level tournament play. And that was fairly well in evidence in the tournament arena at the DCC.

If the fragrance has left the rose, it's because pool has simply mirrored modern American decay. There are few standards or instances of integrity on display at pool tournaments these days. That's why men like John Brumback or Dan Louie stand out so starkly.

But in the back rooms, I'm not sure that much has changed. If a David Peat had shown up a Johnston City, I'm sure they'd all be swarming over him, trying to beat him out of his dough. In tournament play, a guy lives by is pool talent. In action play, he's making a living on his wits.

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
DCC for me.

DCC for me.

My Derby had highs and lows.

I finished high and cashed in the senior one pocket mini and made it to the money in the one pocket, but while there was action, It was harder to match up this year.

Ghost would rather probably have played our match and lost than be holed up sick in the room. Other circumstances, health and family issues, held up games with other players I was hoping for. I finally tried to outrun it with a couple players from Ohio and lost both times.

As always, the final matches in the main arena were terrific and worth the trip by itself.

RE: Dippy Dave, IMO the Derby would have been better without him. I know I would feel differently if I was not there and watching it from home.

While there was action, it was different this year. Quite a few of the "Action People" were always pooling their $$ to take a shot at Dippy. That $$ was not circulating in the Action Room, it was mostly going into Dippy's pocket.

I, like everyone else, was drawn like a moth to a flame to watch him in the big $$ games in the TAR Room. I never could watch for very long cause him wandering around with that s*** eating grin just seemed to irritate me. My problem, I know, but it was not entertainment to me.

I'll be back next year and hope Dippy is not. Unless I get to play him.:D

SJDinPHX

Suspended
JAM said:
It is a shame, IMHO, that money gives anyone credence in the pool world. I would rather like to think a person who can play proficiently would be what is attractive to a pool audience. I realize I may be in the minority with this view.

Jam,

Why would you think, that this is confined to the "pool world" ?...That has been the way things have been forever... Nobody has to like it, but it is called, reality !
And it ain't likely to change anytime soon...;)

PS..Look at Terry Ardeno's tag line...(and David Peat does not even have real money)...Do you think its fair, that P Diddy and 50cent, and Michael Vick or Dennis Rodman, may have amassed 2 or 3 hundred million...while Pat Tillman is dead ? Sad to say,...it just isn't a perfect world...:(

Last edited:

Deeman

Verified Member
NH Steve said:

Steve,

You are right about Dave not buying the tournament event but it may be different withe the Action Award, not to say it has not been "bought" in the past but at least to me, Wolfing and throwing Louis Viton bags of C-Notes around can't always be the criteria, in itself. if our John H or as in some years Grady is puttin his own in for days on end, how do those true action men ever get recognition when a multi can just bulldoze over everyone while taking the air out fothe room for more "normal" action, unless 18-4 $20K sets are the new norm. yes, they entertain some but whatndo they tell us about the top players vs. The top players? I wish I was smart enough to know the right answer! :)

DeeMan

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Deeman, today for a change, I don't quite agree with you. I nearly always do. If I understand the criteria for this award correctly, the amounts of money involved in these matches must always be seriously considered, and I don't think that money can be said to buy the prize. You win by impressing and exciting and entertaining those who are present. That's why the rest of us cannot vote. I don't think it was ever meant to be an evaluation of contests between top players. Dippy's a clown - no doubt about it - but he's an action clown, and a gambler. jmho

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Deeman said:
Steve,

You are right about Dave not buying the tournament event but it may be different withe the Action Award, not to say it has not been "bought" in the past but at least to me, Wolfing and throwing Louis Viton bags of C-Notes around can't always be the criteria, in itself. if our John H or as in some years Grady is puttin his own in for days on end, how do those true action men ever get recognition when a multi can just bulldoze over everyone while taking the air out fothe room for more "normal" action, unless 18-4 $20K sets are the new norm. yes, they entertain some but whatndo they tell us about the top players vs. The top players? I wish I was smart enough to know the right answer! :)

DeeMan

Dippy desives the award and credit. Its because off him tha all the action got stimulated.

And a lot off people got involved and made bets.

That could not have happened even with the two best players playing. And Dippy keepte the action going every day.

I have never seen any other players who got the action award create action like Dippy did. Every day. All you herd is were ie Dippy When Is dippy playing.

None off the players who got the action aweard did that. And none off them bet as high as Dippy.

Yes Dippy desirves the credit. And when it was all over people would talk about Dippy. And were did he go. He was like a big Movie star.

And When they talk about THe 2011 DCC Tournements Dippy will be the person they will talk about.

I have too be honest and I have seen a lot Even In Johnson City and Detoite But I have never seen anything like thus before. This was the greatest Show on Earth.

And If Misisota Fats could have been thier. It would have brought people in from all over the world.

So give Dippy what he desirves. A great caracter that brought with him the action and excitment. THat only he could have brought too the table.

And he did it with humor and style. And he did it with very little ability and brought it too the top. Not even the greatest player could have done that. And when he looks at people with hie innocent Eyes.

It makes me wonder should I feel sorry for him or admire him and the way he looks and acts and even when he talks. I enjoyed every minute off it. And I would have paid too watch his act.

And everytime he would shoot a shot. He would look amazaed and wondered. What he did. Even when his Eyes would follow the cue ball tell it stoped rolling on the table.

He is like a three year old kid with a smile and thier is nothing better then that in life.

Thank him for all the entertainment he brought to the tournement. And only a person like hum could have electryfied the crowed the way that he did.

It was not about weather he won or lost. He made everyone laugh and listen. Like he was getting paud too intertain the audence.

I am Glad too say I was thier too see it. And I have never in my life seen anything better then that in pool.

Dippy should have signed the aoutographs. And If I was in charge off the Hall off fame inducties. I would have made a special place and invite for Dippy too come.

I dont no if he was thier or not. But You couldnt pay too get someone like him too show up and talk.

And Even the photographers should have takin pictures off Dippy and the players and spectators.

And they could have sold the pictures. Or at least. Catch one off the greatest moments in pool.

I real dont think that people realize how great it was. And they will be talking about Dippy at the 2911 DCc tournement. For a long time.

Thanks Dippiy I realy loved it and I no howe great it realy was. You are a real caracter. And thier will only be one Dippy.

And You desirve too be in the pool hall off fame. Not because you are a champion. But because off the life you put back in pool.

You should make 3 or 4 little Dippys. And the will carry youre name and follow in youre foot steps.

The only way I can describe you. Is Unblievable.

Do you Dippy Play Pocker One Pocket?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Dippy desives the award and credit. Its because off him tha all the action got stimulated.

And a lot off people got involved and made bets.

That could not have happened even with the two best players playing. And Dippy keepte the action going every day.

I have never seen any other players who got the action award create action like Dippy did. Every day. All you herd is were ie Dippy When Is dippy playing.

None off the players who got the action aweard did that. And none off them bet as high as Dippy.

Yes Dippy desirves the credit. And when it was all over people would talk about Dippy. And were did he go. He was like a big Movie star.

And When they talk about THe 2011 DCC Tournements Dippy will be the person they will talk about.

I have too be honest and I have seen a lot Even In Johnson City and Detoite But I have never seen anything like thus before. This was the greatest Show on Earth.

And If Misisota Fats could have been thier. It would have brought people in from all over the world.

So give Dippy what he desirves. A great caracter that brought with him the action and excitment. THat only he could have brought too the table.

And he did it with humor and style. And he did it with very little ability and brought it too the top. Not even the greatest player could have done that. And when he looks at people with hie innocent Eyes.

It makes me wonder should I feel sorry for him or admire him and the way he looks and acts and even when he talks. I enjoyed every minute off it. And I would have paid too watch his act.

And everytime he would shoot a shot. He would look amazaed and wondered. What he did. Even when his Eyes would follow the cue ball tell it stoped rolling on the table.

He is like a three year old kid with a smile and thier is nothing better then that in life.

Thank him for all the entertainment he brought to the tournement. And only a person like hum could have electryfied the crowed the way that he did.

It was not about weather he won or lost. He made everyone laugh and listen. Like he was getting paud too intertain the audence.

I am Glad too say I was thier too see it. And I have never in my life seen anything better then that in pool.

Dippy should have signed the aoutographs. And If I was in charge off the Hall off fame inducties. I would have made a special place and invite for Dippy too come.

I dont no if he was thier or not. But You couldnt pay too get someone like him too show up and talk.

And Even the photographers should have takin pictures off Dippy and the players and spectators.

And they could have sold the pictures. Or at least. Catch one off the greatest moments in pool.

I real dont think that people realize how great it was. And they will be talking about Dippy at the 2911 DCc tournement. For a long time.

Thanks Dippiy I realy loved it and I no howe great it realy was. You are a real caracter. And thier will only be one Dippy.

And You desirve too be in the pool hall off fame. Not because you are a champion. But because off the life you put back in pool.

You should make 3 or 4 little Dippys. And the will carry youre name and follow in youre foot steps.

The only way I can describe you. Is Unblievable.

Do you Dippy Play Pocker One Pocket?

I think Dippy, whatever his motives, should be a shoo-in for this years Action Award...Who else put more $$$ in action, and provided more entertainmeent...?

Great player's don't always win this award...Look at Scooter...Matching up, and gettig down, should count for something...:D

Last edited: