DCC Hook Up

yobagua

Am at the matches now. Shane VB in his first bank match today took off his opponent in 3 to 0. THis kid can bank too? I cant wait to see him play one hole. Already he and Ronnie Wiseman were woofing. Ronnie will play him even if he gets 2 to 1 on the money. $400 to $200. No deal says SVB.
Mark Jarvis, Chicago banker, just took off some guy in about 20 minutes. My eye is on Louis De Marco. He played Shannon Murphy last nite getting the 7 in nine ball and he was hitting em good.
Archer was tightened up when his opponent a tall guy got 2 to 2 on him. Archers strong suit is not banks. Ronnie Wiseman won his match. Is there any tougher opponent than Ronnie. He grinds you down.
Jamie Farrel (?) New Orleams boy lost his first match and Mark Tadd and Rafael Martinez are here playing their matches upstairs.
Shannon is here with his lovely wife.
Oh the food still sucks at the hotel

yobagua

Well the Grand Old Master Jose Parica took apart Niels Feijen and beat him 3 to 0. Jose is stroking em real good and not missing too much. I think Niels got 4 balls in the whole match. THe Filipinos are all there as Luat, Bustamante, and Sambajon were all in action. So was Buddy.
In the action room Sylver Ochoa was taking on Sparky Ferrell. Joyner was looking for action as well.
Ran into the Ghost who just got into town. He will be entering in the one hole race.

yobagua

Well great match tonite with Cliff Joyner playing ShaneVB. 8 ball race to 21 with CLiff getting 4 on the wire. Surprise since the IPT everyone knows CLiff can play 8 ball. The bet was light 25 bags of rice. Cliff made some great shots including an incredible jump shot that turned the match around. After that Cliff never turned back and won the set handily.
After that their was a little ring 10 ball game with Jason Kirkwood, John Mora, Johnny Archer Jamie Farrell, and a couple of unrecognizables. Maybe Europeans.
Then in the action room Shannon Murphy held court playing Kirkwood a race to 15. It started around 5AM and had to hit the sack.
Its still early and the Filipinos have been going to their rooms early. I think that all around money is what they will be vying for. Im sure once it becomes clearer who is in the race and who is not they will be coming out to gamble. Missing so far is Dennis Orcullo and Ronnie Alcano.
Tomorrow the one pocket players start coming in.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Pelican said:
Thanks for the post. I was very disappointed that Billiard Club Network is not broadcasting.

Pel
Pel, check out the ActionReport's live stream; they are doing quite a bit. They'll be at our HOF dinner, too. Not live, but filming, so a highlight clip should be available soon after, and then they follow with an edited dvd for purchase. This is a first, and hopefully it exposes new fans to the dinner experience!

http://www.theactionreport.com/

yobagua

Two great bank matches today. Shane VB vs Scott Frost. Shane jumped ahead quickly 2 games to 1 but the Freezer managed to win the fourth game and it went into hill. Scott then put the squeeze and pinch on him and use excellent safety play to keep Shane from banking out. Locking him up and playing one ball at a time Scott eventually got up to a 4 to nothing lead. Shane struggled like the champion he is and shot some long hard shots and got 3 balls. Scott kept sticking to his game and finally got a shot to put in his final ball. Seems like that one pocket safety play is still a chink in the mighty armor of SVB.

The other match was played by completely different generation. That was Grady vs his old nemesis Efren. Grady did a great job of getting 2 games to 1 on Efren. But you are never finished with Efren until the final ball drops. Efren made some beautiful banks in the fourth game with his drag stroke where if he missed the bank you would be left on the rail and the object ball would lie near the hole in an unbankable position. After he won the fourth game Efren soft broke the rack and made a ball. Grady protested and called a foul saying that the rule says you must send balls to the rail. Of course Grady was right so the option Grady had was to shoot from there which he did. A long battle of safety play ensued and Grady fell right into Efrens trap. All the balls ended up in the corner like the Varner wedge play. Efren kept Grady on the rail and Grady eventually scratched after having to play a 9 foot safe from the rail. Efren proceeded to pick open the rack and made some sweet banks. Felt sorry for Grady though as he kept making some great banks but they just wouldnt drop. Efren eventually won the final game.

yobagua

LOOKS LIKE Shane is going to play Cliff One Pocket now. I think 10/7, 9/7. More later

yobagua

Sat through a couple hours of Cliff giving Shane 10/7 and 9/7. Although SHane is up 2 games I got to go with Cliff. He just moves so well and knows all the shots. Shane gets an opening and running 7 is no problem but when Cliff plays that tight lock up game Shane is vulnerable. They are playing cheap. Cheap for them. Like 6 ahead for 300 grains of rice a game. They are on a little break while Shane plays in the 10 ring game. There is 9 ball going on 24 hours a day.
I sat next to a couple of young guns in the Action room who said One Pocket was the most boring game in the world. We told them yeah if you dont understand the game I can see you saying that. Its like baseball. If you dont understand it, you cant enjoy. Anybody can understand Ultimate Fighting but to understand baseball and one pocket you have to have a brain.
We got to educate these young guys to how beautiful and difficult this game can be. Of course they are all mesmerized by Efren. As a matter of fact I'm so had it with 9 ball I decided to forego the Ring game and sit and watch Brian Gregg and Efren practice 9 ball but must bank the 9 ball. Brian is a great banker but there is no one like Efren who can run balls in rotation. Breaking up clusters and caroming balls and kicking balls in. He is truly a magician. Running out and laughing all the time. Just to watch him practice is a treat.

yobagua

Around 6AM the battle finally came to a conclusion. After a 9 hour battle SHane overcame Cliff. 6 ahead for the cheese. This guy wants to play everybody and everything. He just wants to learn so much and knows he doesnt know everything. The mark of a great player. He wants to save up a bankroll and challenge Efren. I give him credit. This is what Corey deuel did when he first started.
In the mean time there was a mini tournament in the main tournament room. 9ball with a 1000 going to the winner. At 6AM 2 were left standing David Grossman and Huidjee See. Young Asian kid from Holland. Man this young kid can play. I dont know who won as the sun was rising and couldnt keep my eyes open.
Today the one pocket draw starts.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Thanks for the updates!

I've put a gallery of Derby City photos up here:
http://onepocket.smugmug.com/gallery/4120017

Cliff and Shane in the action room last night

Last edited:

yobagua

Just a little update. Shawn Putnam put the clamp on Karen Corr. Beating her 3 to 1 in banks. She put up her usual valiant effort but Shawn was too much for her.

A little news for our 14.1 brothers. Bob Jewetts 14.1 Challenge started today with John Schmidt running 77. Neils Feijen immediately stepped up and ran 134. It is a beautiful thing to see someone run a hundred balls Feijen is a great player and has a lot of technique. I think the numbers will get higher. Shane VB was looking on always in study.

yobagua

The one pocket Challenge started today with Jay Helfert. John Schmidt is in the lead by running 15 in one rack and made 45 from 5 racks. Cliff Joyner is second in the 20's. I think Schmidt's run is unbeatable.

One pocket started today. Meanwhile Scott Frost and Incardone tangled with each other. Billy getting the "hit and pick". Billy ended up a couple games loser.

yobagua

I wish you were here Bill. You'd love it. Mark Tadd looks so good. He plays without any pressure like he's practicing. He's destined to end up high in points. Just saw him beat Ernesto in banks. He will end up in the top ten. One of the great things about being here is getting to talk to these great players one on one. Mark sat down yesterday and just started chatting. He is living in Utah near his family and just practiced 6 days before coming. Of course most of you know he has been out of the game for a long time. He practiced just a couple of days before coming to Reno and took third. He is just enjoying himself and having fun. Has stayed away from gamnling as he personally is not into that these days. A very nice young man.
Well Bustamante played Jason Miller and beat him on the TV table. Then Busty went to play Larry Nevel banks as they are both undefeated with only 22 left.
On the One Pocket Challenge Allen hopkins ran 38 so he is number 2 to John Schmidt's 45.
Feijen's 130 run in straight pool still holding up.

yobagua

Since when I get back I usually buy all the accustats Derby product so today I just went to see more obscure players. Players that one hardly gets to see but hears about. So while Buddy Hall played Shane VB one pocket on the AccuStats tv table I decided to watch Charlie Williams play an old road war horse named Monster John. I never heard of this guy but every body told me to catch this guy. Well the two styles were totally different. Charlie with the technique and John with the tricks. Man this guy can play. He beat Charlie 3 to 1. If anyone knows anything about this guy let me know. Im sorry I dont know his last name but every one was calling him that.
Then went to see Mark Tadd play Bob Keller a really solid one pocket player. THey were locked up in a hill game but had to get some rest so I left them there.
Saw the mighty Efren play Bill Henrickson. Efren is in top form. Just amazing the railbirds and confusing his opponents. 3/0
Then saw Ernesto D win his match against Troy J. 3/1 Ernesto.
And watch THorsten Homann play Jason Miller. These Euros that are getting into one hole are dangerous. They are all ball running machines. Soquet, Feijen, Hohmann, Mika, etc, Once they get the hang of the game they are going to be dangerous.
Allen Hopkins ran 15 twice in the One Pocket ghost and is now in third place to John Schmidt at 38. Alex P is second at 40.

yobagua

Well saw a rare thing today. Efren played Alex on the tv table. When this comes out on AccuStats get it immediately. If you dont want to know the out come stop reading now.

Efren was always leading throughout the match. At one time Efren was leading 2 games to 1. Then Alex really struggled with the 4th game. Efren led him 4 to minus 1 and he made an un Efren like mistake and opened the door. Alex ran 3 after getting a ball to get even. Then after a long period of bunting balls Efren got to 6 and Alex had 4. Alex got to 6 and finally with some excellent play got even. In the hill game Alex made a big mistake firing at his hole where on a thin slice he missed the whole ball. Leaving Efren the whole table and everyone was sure Efren would run 8 and out but Efren ran 6 and failed to get shape in another Efren like mistake. More bunting and Efren banked a ball in. Leaving ALex needing them all. Alex taking a great chance made a real thin cut back bank to his hole and made it and was left with a difficult out. But with the heart of a lion ran a beautiful amazing 7 balls to beat the Magician. In the last four times Efren was here he has been only beaten I think by SHawn Putnam and Billy Palmer. What was great was I was sitting in front of Shannon and he was commentating the whole match to his wife and friends. Saying how he would shoot the shot. And how he had Efren on the hill and how Efren ran eight and out on him. Efren looked a little shaky. For Efren that is but you got to give it to Alex. THe guy never gives up! He has so much drive and determination. I hope he ends up playing Scott Frost or Cliff. I wouldnt know who to bet on.
Cliff and Bucktooth were woofing it up today in the lobby. I quote.
"You got a lot of money, but you dont have any gamble"

"Well I'll bet anything you want, what do you give me"

"I'll give you 10 to 6"

"Dont embarrass yourself"

I'll leave it up to you to figure out who said what.

yobagua

Today they got closer to the one pocket finals with about 16 players left. The Europeans are catching on to this game and are playing it very scientifically. Not taking any risks and shooting the percentage shots. Consequently their games tend to last long and drawn out. Ralf Soquet thoroughly frustrated Shannon the Cannon. The first game took over an hour. He wore Shannon down and beat him 3 games to 1. Brit 8 ball champ Darren Appleton met up with Niels Feijen and they turned their game to a four hour chess game. Feijen got to 2 to 0 but Appleton a great shotmaker got to the hill. Finally Feijen put in the final ball. Met Karl Boyes who if you recall lost in the semi finals to Roberto Gomez in the WPC in Manila. A very nice guy who was feeling under the weather and wasnt playing but supporting all the Brits in the tourney.
Efren the Great proved his magnificence in the table as he put the hurt on Alan Hopkins leading 2 to 0 Efren found himself in the 3rd game behind 7 to 0. Hopkins needing 1 ball Efren went all out and made a difficult long bank and ran 7 failing to get position on the case ball. If you thought that Alex's 8 and out on Efren was tough this one was even tougher. With a couple of balls on Hopkins side near the rail. Efren deftly manuevered all the balls into position pushing them out from the rail as he made balls. He got Allen to play for one ball and who better than Efrento be in this position. He got Allan to scratch and Efren shot the spot shot to make the win.
Scott Frost and Gabe Owen got into a slugfest and Gabe got the rolls to edge out the Freezer. Shane VB and Alex was tied up at 2 to 2.
One the gambling side Grady was playing a young gun 20 to 10!!!! a race to 5 for 3K. Grady was up 3 games when I left and I think he won. He was playing warrior Justin C. Tony C played Justin till 7 AM this morning in a race to 6 giving 9/8 and the breaks but they had to call it off till tomorrow since they had to clean up the tournament room.