Danny Smith v Tony Chohan One Pocket 8 ahead $10,000 entry

Henry

Verified Member
Yes I agree we were treated to some great one pocket. Whenever I watch aggressive players perform I always learn something..too bad it may be too late for me.:( When watching great offensive minded players perform we are treating ourselves to not only the pure entertainment of the match but also the beauty of the ends of their means. I'm sure that whoever watched this match has come away from it with a much better understanding of the benefits aggressive playing yields. I do understand that there are a lot of things that we watched that aren't in our arsenal but then again their are many things that are.

We as players are the only ones that know what is suitable to incorporate into our own games, for some there will be shots that are right, for others maybe not, but for all we will have more food for thought.

Hopefully what we have learned is more than just "ducking" :heh Sometimes your shot disguised as an offensive shot is actually "ducking":D Bernie calls it "risk management" I think he's on to something

Dr. Bill

Great Analysis by Billy as usual. I watched all of Danny's matches and wondered why all of his opponents played bad against him. For one thing his execution is top notch and he changes low percentage shots into high percentage shots. Mostly I think it is his unpredictability when it is Danny's shot you have no idea what he is going to do and in most cases whatever he decides to do is successful he has balls going everywhere and when they stop he usually is in good shape. Tony is the first opponent I have seen that took full advantage of Danny's mistakes of course the spot was a huge factor he just could not overcome. Now Tony who I have played and watched play a lot is very aggressive but is much more predictable and plays solid one pocket. So when Tony gets in stoke we will see which style wins out. Of course I think it will be Tony because he can exploit Danny's lack of patience. Tony is playing good but he is not in stroke yet.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Yes I agree we were treated to some great one pocket. Whenever I watch aggressive players perform I always learn something..too bad it may be too late for me.:( When watching great offensive minded players perform we are treating ourselves to not only the pure entertainment of the match but also the beauty of the ends of their means. I'm sure that whoever watched this match has come away from it with a much better understanding of the benefits aggressive playing yields. I do understand that there are a lot of things that we watched that aren't in our arsenal but then again their are many things that are.

We as players are the only ones that know what is suitable to incorporate into our own games, for some there will be shots that are right, for others maybe not, but for all we will have more food for thought.

Hopefully what we have learned is more than just "ducking" :heh Sometimes your shot disguised as an offensive shot is actually "ducking":D Bernie calls it "risk management" I think he's on to something

Dr. Bill

About 8 or 9 years ago when Tony came down here Billy, My friend and I backed Randy against Tony. Randy was getting 10 to 6 and he had the best of it:D After the 2nd game Tony knew he was in a bad game...UNTIL... Randy missed a duck in the 3rd game and it was BOMBS away from there. Tony saw that miss and became an animal and out ran the nuts.. I played Tony the next day 9 to 7 300 a game. I had him stuck for 8 hours but I tired and he got even. Back then I liked pool and there was plenty of action down here.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
About 8 or 9 years ago when Tony came down here Billy, My friend and I backed Randy against Tony. Randy was getting 10 to 6 and he had the best of it:D After the 2nd game Tony knew he was in a bad game...UNTIL... Randy missed a duck in the 3rd game and it was BOMBS away from there. Tony saw that miss and became an animal and out ran the nuts.. I played Tony the next day 9 to 7 300 a game. I had him stuck for 8 hours but I tired and he got even. Back then I liked pool and there was plenty of action down here.

Rob...is that "Hollywood Randy" that you're talking about?...

About 14 yrs. ago when I was staying in Pompano Beach for about a month, I played "Hollywood Randy" one day at Hollywood Billiards....after 6 games we were even...before we started the 7th game he started acting all tush-hoggish...since it was tough action, and I didn't like his tush-hog attitude, I quit him before starting the 7th game...

I was hanging out in the pool hall in Pompano Beach at that time - a couple good players and also cuemaker/boat captain Bob Manzino were hanging around there...I was also playing some 3cushion at Bill Maloney's Corner Pocket in Wilton Manors.

- Ghost

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member

About 14 yrs. ago when I was staying in Pompano Beach for about a month, I played "Hollywood Randy" one day at Hollywood Billiards....after 6 games we were even...before we started the 7th game he started acting all tush-hoggish...since it was tough action, and I didn't like his tush-hog attitude, I quit him before starting the 7th game...

I was hanging out in the pool hall in Pompano Beach at that time - a couple good players and also cuemaker/boat captain Bob Manzino were hanging around there...I was also playing some 3cushion at Bill Maloney's Corner Pocket in Wilton Manors.

- Ghost

Yeah thats him.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

- Ghost
14 years ago Randy was mellowed out, i'm thinking he would of been around 45 to 48 years old then. I knew him when he was much younger (in his 20's) He was extremely flighty, maybe volatile would be a better word to describe him, you're lucky you caught him at such an advanced age.:heh

In case you're reading this Randy....jk.jk.jk.:D

Dr. Bill

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
14 years ago Randy was mellowed out

Dr. Bill

Mellow?....to me he seemed more like a pissed off Florida coppermouth, or a ticking time bomb...:heh

About 8 or 9 years ago when Tony came down here Billy, My friend and I backed Randy against Tony. Randy was getting 10 to 6

Ida lost my cash too if I was there...cuz I woulda thought Randy had the nuts getting 10-6 from a "firing at his hole every shot Tony".

- Ghost

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
During the late 60's thru the 70's I went to South Florida during the winters and was a regular at the, 'Congress Bowl.' Miami Randy and many other characters frequented the room at ALL hours of the day and night.

Randy was definitely somewhat of a 'Tush Hog' back in those days, but, picking His spots also. At that time He was a combination of a very fit guy and chemical player at times, somewhat intimidating at the table and off!

I do remember Him giving, 'Steve the Whale' one of the worst beatings I'd seen in awhile! I don't know the particulars, but, if anyone knew the 'Whale,' I'm sure he deserved it in spades!

I know no one wanted any part of Freddy and mines buddy, Johnny 'Sugar Shack' Novak! Everyone gave Johnny a wide isle when He was around! Even 'Big Henry' from the 'Crossroads' truck stop gave way to Him!

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Always nice...

Always nice...

......to know your going to walk away with what you won..........cheers,James

Bigtruck

Verified Member
They are about to match up again! Tony getting 9/8 this time and if he makes a ball on the break he gets one more shot after that.

I am home in Texas for my daughters birthday and won't be able to film this set. Hopefully someone will post some updates. My flight back to Detroit arrives tomorrow evening. If it's still going I will post some details.

Ray

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
They are about to match up again! Tony getting 9/8 this time and if he makes a ball on the break he gets one more shot after that.

I am home in Texas for my daughters birthday and won't be able to film this set. Hopefully someone will post some updates. My flight back to Detroit arrives tomorrow evening. If it's still going I will post some details.

Ray

Bless her heart.
Rod.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

Ray

happy birthday to your daughter......:)
you are where you belong....:)

#Cruncher

Verified Member
If they play even up, I will make a sweat bet on Danny. Tony should be hittin em pretty sporty after the last few weeks getting the cobwebs loose.